* Re: Mode dependent cursor shape lost in cygwin Vim in a Windows console
@ 2010-08-13 21:30 JOHNER Jean 066030
From: JOHNER Jean 066030 @ 2010-08-13 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 13 August 2010, Andy Koppe wrote:

> No, but I'm sure a patch implementing the DECSCUSR control sequence
> using SetConsoleCursorInfo() would be welcome. (Copyright assignment
> required.)

I guess this patch is not in Vim code (which is able to do the job in a
normal cmd console window) but rather in cygwin.dll which reconfigures
the console.
Could you implement such a patch yourself?
No emergency, though.

Best regards.

Jean Johner

* Re: Mode dependent cursor shape lost in cygwin Vim in a Windows console
@ 2010-08-14 17:30 ` Andy Koppe
From: Andy Koppe @ 2010-08-14 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 13 August 2010 22:30, JOHNER Jean 066030 wrote:
>> No, but I'm sure a patch implementing the DECSCUSR control sequence
>> using SetConsoleCursorInfo() would be welcome. (Copyright assignment
>> required.)
>
> I guess this patch is not in Vim code (which is able to do the job in a
> normal cmd console window) but rather in cygwin.dll which reconfigures
> the console.

Correct. Theoretically this could be patched into Cygwin vim, but the
whole point of Cygwin is that Unix/Linux programs can be compiled and
run (nearly) unmodified, so that's not going to happen.

> Could you implement such a patch yourself?

No. I don't maintain the console and mintty keeps me busy enough already.

Andy

* Re: Mode dependent cursor shape lost in cygwin Vim in a Windows console
@ 2010-08-14 19:14   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2010-08-14 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sat, Aug 14, 2010 at 06:30:50PM +0100, Andy Koppe wrote:
>>Could you implement such a patch yourself?
>
>No.  I don't maintain the console and mintty keeps me busy enough
>already.

And also: HJM.

cgf

* Re: Mode dependent cursor shape lost in cygwin Vim in a Windows console
@ 2010-08-13 16:26 ` Andy Koppe
From: Andy Koppe @ 2010-08-13 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 13 August 2010 14:22, JOHNER Jean 066030 wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Please do the following:
> 1/ Start a standard cmd console
>   Launch Windows Vim (C:\Program Files\vim\vim72\vim.exe) with
>   vim -u NONE file1
>
>  Result: file1 opens with a block cursor. If insert mode is activated,
> the cursor changes to underscore (nice)
>
> 2/ Launch cygwin.bat
>   Launch cygwin Vim with
>   vim -u NONE file1
>
>  Result: file1 is opened with an underscore cursor. No change when
> insert mode is activated.
>
> Is there a way to have mode dependent cursor shape in Cygwin Vim in a
> Windows console?

No, but I'm sure a patch implementing the DECSCUSR control sequence
using SetConsoleCursorInfo() would be welcome. (Copyright assignment
required.)

http://vt100.net/docs/vt510-rm/DECSCUSR

Andy

* Mode dependent cursor shape lost in cygwin Vim in a Windows console
@ 2010-08-13 13:22 JOHNER Jean 066030