* Re: Cygwin Support for Shadow Copies Exposed As Drives?
@ 2011-01-30 12:57 Leon Vanderploeg
From: Leon Vanderploeg @ 2011-01-30 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Bump…

Leon Vanderploeg
Business Data Protection, LLC
Cell:  303-877-9654

* Re: Cygwin Support for Shadow Copies Exposed As Drives?
@ 2011-01-30 17:50 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2011-01-30 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Jan 29 17:21, Leon Vanderploeg wrote:

With the upcoming 1.7.8 (and recent snapshots, see
http://cygwin.com/snapshots/) you can access volume shadow copies very
easily:

As administrator, elevated on Vista and later:

  $ cd /proc/sys/Devices
  $ ls -l Harddisk*
  drwxrwx--- 1 Administrators SYSTEM      0 Jan 30 12:27 Harddisk0
  brwxrwx--x 1 Administrators SYSTEM 0, 242 Jan 30 12:27 HarddiskVolume1
  brwxrwx--x 1 Administrators SYSTEM 0, 242 Jan 30 12:27 HarddiskVolume2
  brwxrwx--x 1 Administrators SYSTEM 0, 242 Jan 30 12:27 HarddiskVolume3
  brwxrwx--x 1 Administrators SYSTEM 0, 242 Jan 30 12:27 HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy3
  lr--r--r-- 1 Administrators SYSTEM      0 Jan 30 12:27 HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy{6faf6d91-2259-11e0-9403-000c295ff74f} -> /proc/sys/Device/HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy3
  $ cd HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy3
  HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy3: Not a directory
  $ cd HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy3/
  $ pwd
  /proc/sys/Devices/HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy3
  $ ls -1
  $Recycle.Bin
  Documents and Settings
  PerfLogs
  Program Files
  ProgramData
  Recovery
  System Volume Information
  Users
  Windows
  autoexec.bat
  config.sys
  cygwin
  hiberfil.sys
  pagefile.sys
  $

Note that you have to use a trailing slash to cd into the root directory
of the drive.  The reason is that the name "HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy3"
refers to the block device in the first place.  Only by attaching the
trailing slash the system (Windows, not Cygwin!) realizes that you
want to access the drive's root dir.  This is not necessary to access
other directories on the drive:

  $ cd /proc/sys/Devices/HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy3/cygwin
  $ ls -1
  Cygwin.bat
  Cygwin.ico
  Cygwin.tcsh.bat
  bin
  cygdrive
  dev
  etc
  home
  lib
  sbin
  tmp
  usr
  var

Due to the layout of the native NT namespace and the extra DOS device
path handling there are a couple of other ways to access the shadow
copies, for instance:

  $ cd /proc/sys/GLOBAL\?\?/HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy3/
  $ cd /proc/sys/\?\?/global/HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy3/
  $ cd //./HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy3/
  $ cd //?/HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy3/
  $ cd //./GLOBALROOT/Devices/HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy3/

but personally I prefer the access via /proc/sys/Devices.  It's the
cleanest and easiest one, IMHO.

Corinna

Red Hat

* Re: Cygwin Support for Shadow Copies Exposed As Drives?
@ 2011-01-05 23:24 ` Larry Hall (Cygwin)
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin) @ 2011-01-05 23:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: leonv

On 1/4/2011 6:08 PM, Leon Vanderploeg wrote:
> I didn't see an email reply to
> <008801cbab56$59188f30$0b49ad90$@vaultnow.com>  in my email, but I did see a
> reply in the forum.  I am not sure about the right way to get back to the
> original item, but I'm hoping this will get it there.

It did.  But it wasn't smart enough to maintain the list threading.  I believe
you're missing the "References" field but don't quote me on that.

In general, if you want a reply specifically to come to you, you have to
request it.  The list directs all replies back to the list so the easiest
way to make sure you see a response is to subscribe. ;-)

<snip>

> Thanks for the quick reply.  I just pulled down the 2010-12-29.  It, to
> failed the rsync chdir to an exposed drive.  I scanned the change logs on
> all the snapshots listed on the page you suggested and I didn't see anything
> on shadow copies.

OK, it was a bit of a long-shot but I remembered some other discussion of
rsync recently and thought there might be a correlation.

--
Larry

A: Yes.

@ 2011-01-05 21:22 Leon Vanderploeg

From: "Larry Hall \(Cygwin\)" <reply-to-list-only-lh at cygwin dot com>
To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2011 18:17:59 -0500
Subject: Re: Cygwin Support for Shadow Copies Exposed As Drives?

----
On 1/3/2011 9:56 AM, Leon Vanderploeg wrote:
I have hit a brick wall in the Cygwin 1.7 arena -- shadow copies exposed as
drives can no longer be accessed.  See
http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2009-07/msg00954.html for an example of previous
documentation on this issue.

Are there any plans for a patch or work-around to allow an exposed shadow
drive to be accessed by a program such as rsync?

Thanks in advance, and best regards,
Leon

Have you tried a recent snapshot? <http://cygwin.com/snapshots/>

--
Larry

Hi Larry,

Thanks for the quick reply.  I just pulled down the 2010-12-29.  It, to
failed the rsync chdir to an exposed drive.  I scanned the change logs on
all the snapshots listed on the page you suggested and I didn't see anything
on shadow copies.

Best regards,
Leon

@ 2011-01-04 12:13 ` Larry Hall (Cygwin)
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin) @ 2011-01-04 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 1/3/2011 9:56 AM, Leon Vanderploeg wrote:
> I have hit a brick wall in the Cygwin 1.7 arena -- shadow copies exposed as
> drives can no longer be accessed.  See
> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2009-07/msg00954.html for an example of previous
> documentation on this issue.
>
> Are there any plans for a patch or work-around to allow an exposed shadow
> drive to be accessed by a program such as rsync?
>
> Thanks in advance, and best regards,
> Leon

Have you tried a recent snapshot? <http://cygwin.com/snapshots/>

--