* Newbie confused about chmod
@ 2011-02-15 13:49 hardya
From: hardya @ 2011-02-15 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I am running cgwin (for omnet++, but that's a BTW) on Windows 7 (NTFS).  I
cannot chmode files I untarred into a folder and I cannot chmod a file I
create in cgwin myself.

I understood that you could do this if the file system was NTFS.  The bottom
line is I have an executable that is not executable.  In addition to solving
that though it might be nice to get a better understanding.

What I don't understand is that if I run a make.exe (still me as user I
presume) the make process manages to produce a file with executable
permissions and presumably that's not just due to the directory, since the
files I create aren't executable and cannot be made so.

I started to read the netsec page ref'd from the faq, but it's a big
learning curve and I had hoped there was a short answer, though I don't seem
to be able to find it any where.  Perhaps I am using cgwin for not what was
intended and I should go ahead and do a full linux install?

Any help or advice greatly appreciated for this newbie.

* Re: Newbie confused about chmod
@ 2011-02-15 14:43 ` Thorsten Kampe
From: Thorsten Kampe @ 2011-02-15 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

* hardya (Tue, 15 Feb 2011 05:48:58 -0800 (PST))
> I am running cgwin (for omnet++, but that's a BTW) on Windows 7
> (NTFS). I cannot chmode files I untarred into a folder and I cannot
> chmod a file I create in cgwin myself.

"I cannot [whatever]" is a bit weak. Can you be a bit more specific?
What do you do exactly and what do you get exactly?

Thorsten

* Re: Newbie confused about chmod
@ 2011-02-15 16:52   ` hardya
From: hardya @ 2011-02-15 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Andrew Hardy@ANDREWHARDY ~/mywsn/LSU-SensorSimulator/samples
$ ls -l Simulation
-rw-r--r-- 1 Andrew Hardy Administrators 238835 Oct 28  2005 Simulation

Andrew Hardy@ANDREWHARDY ~/mywsn/LSU-SensorSimulator/samples
$ chmod -v 666 Simulation
mode of `Simulation' changed to 0666 (rw-rw-rw-)

Andrew Hardy@ANDREWHARDY ~/mywsn/LSU-SensorSimulator/samples
$ ls -l Simulation
-rw-r--r-- 1 Andrew Hardy Administrators 238835 Oct 28  2005 Simulation

Andrew Hardy@ANDREWHARDY ~/mywsn/LSU-SensorSimulator/samples
$ chmod -v 777 Simulation
mode of `Simulation' changed to 0777 (rwxrwxrwx)

Andrew Hardy@ANDREWHARDY ~/mywsn/LSU-SensorSimulator/samples
$ ls -l Simulation
-rw-r--r-- 1 Andrew Hardy Administrators 238835 Oct 28  2005 Simulation

Andrew Hardy@ANDREWHARDY ~/mywsn/LSU-SensorSimulator/samples
$

* Re: Newbie confused about chmod
@ 2011-02-15 17:57     ` Greg Chicares
From: Greg Chicares @ 2011-02-15 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2011-02-15 16:52Z, hardya wrote:
[...]
> Andrew Hardy@ANDREWHARDY ~/mywsn/LSU-SensorSimulator/samples
> $ chmod -v 777 Simulation
> mode of `Simulation' changed to 0777 (rwxrwxrwx)
>
> Andrew Hardy@ANDREWHARDY ~/mywsn/LSU-SensorSimulator/samples
> $ ls -l Simulation
> -rw-r--r-- 1 Andrew Hardy Administrators 238835 Oct 28  2005 Simulation

Could that be due to a space in your username?
  http://cygwin.com/faq-nochunks.html#faq.setup.name-with-space

* Re: Newbie confused about chmod
@ 2011-02-15 17:59 ` Brian Wilson
From: Brian Wilson @ 2011-02-15 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> I cannot chmod files I untarred into a folder and I cannot
> chmod a file I create in cgwin myself.
>
> I understood that you could do this if the file system was NTFS.
> The bottom line is I have an executable that is not executable.  In
> addition to solving that though it might be nice to get a better
> understanding.
>
> (snip)
>
> Any help or advice greatly appreciated for this newbie.

Just to get rid of the obvious possibilities, check to see who owns the
directory you are in, and what permissions the directory has.  If you do not
own the directory, or if you do not have permission to change files in the
directory, even if the file permissions grant you access, you won't be able to
make permission changes.

If you can create the file but you can't chmod it to executable status, there
may be some issue with your overall user access rights.

Brian S. Wilson

* Re: Newbie confused about chmod
@ 2011-02-15 18:02     ` Eric Blake
From: Eric Blake @ 2011-02-15 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 02/15/2011 09:52 AM, hardya wrote:

> Andrew Hardy@ANDREWHARDY ~/mywsn/LSU-SensorSimulator/samples
> $ ls -l Simulation
> -rw-r--r-- 1 Andrew Hardy Administrators 238835 Oct 28  2005 Simulation
>
> Andrew Hardy@ANDREWHARDY ~/mywsn/LSU-SensorSimulator/samples
> $ chmod -v 666 Simulation
> mode of `Simulation' changed to 0666 (rw-rw-rw-)
>
> Andrew Hardy@ANDREWHARDY ~/mywsn/LSU-SensorSimulator/samples
> $ ls -l Simulation
> -rw-r--r-- 1 Andrew Hardy Administrators 238835 Oct 28  2005 Simulation

Is this on a FAT or remote drive, perhaps?  FAT doesn't have
permissions, therefore cygwin fakes those permissions, and fakes chmod()
as success rather than an error, when it's really just a no-op on losing
file systems.

* Re: Newbie confused about chmod
@ 2011-02-15 18:04       ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2011-02-15 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 05:57:42PM +0000, Greg Chicares wrote:
>On 2011-02-15 16:52Z, hardya wrote:
>[...]
>> Andrew Hardy@ANDREWHARDY ~/mywsn/LSU-SensorSimulator/samples
>> $ chmod -v 777 Simulation
>> mode of `Simulation' changed to 0777 (rwxrwxrwx)
>>
>> Andrew Hardy@ANDREWHARDY ~/mywsn/LSU-SensorSimulator/samples
>> $ ls -l Simulation
>> -rw-r--r-- 1 Andrew Hardy Administrators 238835 Oct 28  2005 Simulation
>
>Could that be due to a space in your username?
>  http://cygwin.com/faq-nochunks.html#faq.setup.name-with-space

Actually, we should stop trying to guess and insist on the information
requested here:

http://cygwin.com/problems.html

In particular, cygcheck output would probably be very instructive since
I suspect either a FAT32 filesystem or CYGWIN=nontsec setting.

This page also suggests that a subject like "Newbie blah isn't very
helpful.

cgf

* chmod indicates success, but does not succeed
@ 2011-02-15 19:27         ` hardya
From: hardya @ 2011-02-15 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

First let me appologise for the bad subject line and lack of explicit
content.  I realise the importance of following forum guidelines and I shall
try to be clearer, at least within my ability.

As mentioned at the beginning of my post, though perhaps not so clearly as I
should.  Cgywin was provided with a simulator called omnet++.  I have read
the omnet++ documentation and asked questions on forums but was still unable
to resolve the issue.

Regarding one of the resolutions to the possible cause by space in user
name:  there doesn't appear to be a passwd file in etc directory, so I
cannot change that.  Perhaps, as suggested, I should create a new windows
user name without spaces and login as that person.  But I guess I would have
to recreate the directory structure over again for me to be the owner.  Is
this what the post about spaces is suggesting?

Regarding the container directory:  Directory owner is me and group is
Administrators.  This is the same for all files and directories I have every
looked at.

Regarding FAT, this is the integral C: drive and it is formatted NTFS.  I
think I did mention this, but I may have used wrong terminology or not been
explicit.  Sorry.

Regarding reporting guidlines and running pre-checks:
My disk is indexed and a search for cygcheck.* revealed nothing.  I am not
sure from where I should run cygcheck.

I feel I have probably again left some obvious error in my post or have
missed something obvious on the site, but it is not intentional and I
appologise in advance.  I have been looking at this on my own for a long
time.  I guess it's jusy inexperience.

* Re: chmod indicates success, but does not succeed
@ 2011-02-15 19:57           ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2011-02-15 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Feb 15 11:27, hardya wrote:

> First let me appologise for the bad subject line and lack of explicit
> content.  I realise the importance of following forum guidelines and I shall
> try to be clearer, at least within my ability.
>
> As mentioned at the beginning of my post, though perhaps not so clearly as I
> should.  Cgywin was provided with a simulator called omnet++.  I have read
> the omnet++ documentation and asked questions on forums but was still unable
> to resolve the issue.

Your problems are a direct result of using this omnet++ stuff.  The
omnet++ package comes with MingW including MSYS, not with Cygwin.  While
MSYS is based on Cygwin, it is based on a very, very old version of
Cygwin.  Apart from that, this list does neither support MSYS, nor any
third-party installation of Cygwin, but only the Cygwin distro from
http://cygwin.com/.  So, please install the most recent Cygwin distro,
or ask on another, better suited mailing list/newsgroup/forum.

Corinna

Red Hat

* Re: chmod indicates success, but does not succeed
@ 2011-02-16  0:40             ` hardya
From: hardya @ 2011-02-16  0:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

That clears it up then thanks.  At least as far as my post here is concerned
any way.

MSYS is described as a fork of cygwin that's specially suited to being used
with win32.  I guess I hadn't expected this particular problem to be related
to the fork.

Any way, as you rightly say, it is 'not' cygwin.

Thanks again.

* Re: chmod indicates success, but does not succeed
@ 2011-02-16  5:50               ` Andrew DeFaria
From: Andrew DeFaria @ 2011-02-16  5:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 02/15/11 19:40, hardya wrote:
> MSYS is described as a fork of cygwin that's specially suited to being used
> with win32.
How would MSYS be any more "specially suited to being used with win32"
than Cygwin itself, is it already "specially suited to being used with
win32"?!?

Marketing people... geeze!
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.

* Re: chmod indicates success, but does not succeed
@ 2011-02-16  8:57                 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2011-02-16  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Feb 16 00:45, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
> On 02/15/11 19:40, hardya wrote:
> >MSYS is described as a fork of cygwin that's specially suited to being used
> >with win32.
> How would MSYS be any more "specially suited to being used with
> win32" than Cygwin itself, is it already "specially suited to being
> used with win32"?!?

Just a typo I guess.  s/win32/mingw32/

Corinna

Red Hat

* Re: chmod indicates success, but does not succeed
@ 2011-02-16 16:26                   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2011-02-16 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 09:57:34AM +0100, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>On Feb 16 00:45, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
>> On 02/15/11 19:40, hardya wrote:
>> >MSYS is described as a fork of cygwin that's specially suited to being used
>> >with win32.
>> How would MSYS be any more "specially suited to being used with
>> win32" than Cygwin itself, is it already "specially suited to being
>> used with win32"?!?
>
>Just a typo I guess.  s/win32/mingw32/

Actually, I had the same reaction as Andy at first.  Then I reparsed the line to
mean "pure win32 programs" and then it made more sense, even if it isn't strictly
true.

cgf

* Re: chmod indicates success, but does not succeed
@ 2011-02-16 22:52                   ` hardya
From: hardya @ 2011-02-16 22:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Sorry I didn't mean to cause a problem.  I just paraphrased the msys welcome
doc.  The more accurate text is:

"Welcome to the world of MSYS and MinGW.  Minimal SYStem is a minimal POSIX
system used in the Win32 OS to accomplish configuration and making of
packages.

MSYS is a fork of Cygwin and is more friendly to the Win32 user"

Any way my original problem has already been shown not  to be appropriate to
this forum, sorry about that.