* snapshots revisited
@ 2011-03-10  9:14 EXCOFFIER Denis
From: EXCOFFIER Denis @ 2011-03-10  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello,

I'm now happy with the snapshots as they are, and i'm ready to use
them more in the future, thank you for them. I'm especially glad that
it has no interaction with the regular setup.exe mechanism: if at some
point a snapshot is not satisfactory, you just have to Reinstall the
regular cygwin1.dll (and also the previous working snapshot if you
want).

I'd however suggest that the FAQ is brought up to date:
- remove "You will not be able to replace cygwin1.dll if any
   Cygwin process is running"
- insist that it does not break the setup.exe mechanism in any way
   (this mechanism that is somewhat mysterious to me)
- use a single `tar' command line as suggested previously in this list
- using Explorer is not needed
- say a word about leftovers (a snapshot installs a file, the
   next snapshot does not install it; the file remains forever within
   the installation; is it a problem?)

I'd also suggest (like somebody in this list) that
the snapshot page contains a link to the FAQ section dealing
with snapshot installation. Also that you replace GMT by UT in
this snapshot page.

About the snapshot 20110309 wrt 20110308, one can see
that 4 files under usr/share/info have disappeared, and also
that regex.3.gz and regex.7.gz have also disappeared.
I suppose that this (minor) point remains under control of course (but
unsatisfactory isn't it?), this is the leftovers question, see above.

And finally, since we are talking setup.exe, i've observed that
even if you install and install continuously (say: every hour or so),
setup.exe continuously installs and installs again several of the
src packages (always the same packages, eg qt4-4.5.3-1-src), which
takes several dozens of seconds, for absolutely no benefit (i thought
that setup.exe/setup.ini was smart enough to avoid a new installation
if the package is already installed, provided that you don't ask for
`Reinstall'). Does anybody have the same behaviour? (i install Cygwin
on CYGWIN_NT-5.1 with "Just Me" and didn't ever checked off the `S'
flag for any package).

Thank you again. I've installed 20110309, no regression recorded.

Denis Excoffier.

* Re: snapshots revisited
@ 2011-03-10  9:17 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2011-03-10  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mar 10 08:09, EXCOFFIER Denis wrote:
> I'd however suggest that the FAQ is brought up to date:
> - remove "You will not be able to replace cygwin1.dll if any
>   Cygwin process is running"
> - insist that it does not break the setup.exe mechanism in any way
>   (this mechanism that is somewhat mysterious to me)
> - use a single `tar' command line as suggested previously in this list
> - using Explorer is not needed
> - say a word about leftovers (a snapshot installs a file, the
>   next snapshot does not install it; the file remains forever within
>   the installation; is it a problem?)

Patches to the documentation are always welcome.  I hate to write
documentation.  Personally I'm more interested in the comments in the
source code ;)

> I'd also suggest (like somebody in this list) that
> the snapshot page contains a link to the FAQ section dealing
> with snapshot installation.

You know, snapshots should not be installed without need and otherwise
only by people who feel comfortable running bleeding-edge stuff.

> Also that you replace GMT by UT in
> this snapshot page.

I guess you mean UTC.  Good point.  Chris?

> About the snapshot 20110309 wrt 20110308, one can see
> that 4 files under usr/share/info have disappeared, and also
> that regex.3.gz and regex.7.gz have also disappeared.
> I suppose that this (minor) point remains under control of course (but
> unsatisfactory isn't it?), this is the leftovers question, see above.

Depends on the person creating the snapshots.  I changed that in my
script so I'm also going to omit these files in snapshots in future.

> And finally, since we are talking setup.exe, i've observed that
> even if you install and install continuously (say: every hour or so),
> setup.exe continuously installs and installs again several of the
> src packages (always the same packages, eg qt4-4.5.3-1-src), which
> takes several dozens of seconds,

I saw that as well, but I think this is only some hickup in postinstall
script handling.  It doesn't hurt so I really never cared enough to
investigate.

Corinna

Red Hat

* Re: snapshots revisited
@ 2011-03-10 16:31   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2011-03-10 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 10:13:53AM +0100, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>> And finally, since we are talking setup.exe, i've observed that
>> even if you install and install continuously (say: every hour or so),
>> setup.exe continuously installs and installs again several of the
>> src packages (always the same packages, eg qt4-4.5.3-1-src), which
>> takes several dozens of seconds,
>
>I saw that as well, but I think this is only some hickup in postinstall
>script handling.  It doesn't hurt so I really never cared enough to
>investigate.

And, unsurprisingly, it has been mentioned many times before.

cgf

* Re: snapshots revisited
@ 2011-03-10 23:25   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2011-03-10 23:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 10:13:53AM +0100, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>On Mar 10 08:09, EXCOFFIER Denis wrote:
>>Also that you replace GMT by UT in this snapshot page.
>
>I guess you mean UTC.  Good point.  Chris?

No comment.  I *have*, however, filed this under "Nitpicky things that I
can't believe anyone would send email to a mailing list about."

cgf

* Re: snapshots revisited
@ 2011-03-11  5:24     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2011-03-11  5:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 06:24:24PM -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 10:13:53AM +0100, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>>On Mar 10 08:09, EXCOFFIER Denis wrote:
>>>Also that you replace GMT by UT in this snapshot page.
>>
>>I guess you mean UTC.  Good point.  Chris?
>
>No comment.  I *have*, however, filed this under "Nitpicky things that I
>can't believe anyone would send email to a mailing list about."

Actually, apologies.  I guess the above is a comment.

cgf

* Re: snapshots revisited
@ 2011-03-11  9:06       ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2011-03-11  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mar 10 18:25, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 06:24:24PM -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> >>
> >>I guess you mean UTC.  Good point.  Chris?
> >
> >No comment.  I *have*, however, filed this under "Nitpicky things that I
> >can't believe anyone would send email to a mailing list about."
>
> Actually, apologies.  I guess the above is a comment.

Actually, yes, it's one of these unnecessary comments which only purpose
is to kick peoples asses.  Therefore it belongs to the cygwin-talk list
or to /dev/null.

Corinna

Red Hat

* Re: snapshots revisited
@ 2011-03-11 15:29         ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2011-03-11 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 09:20:12AM +0100, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>On Mar 10 18:25, Christopher Faylor wrote:

>> >No comment.  I *have*, however, filed this under "Nitpicky things that I
>> >can't believe anyone would send email to a mailing list about."
>>
>> Actually, apologies.  I guess the above is a comment.
>
>Actually, yes, it's one of these unnecessary comments which only purpose
>is to kick peoples asses.  Therefore it belongs to the cygwin-talk list
>or to /dev/null.

Wow.  Yeah, like this message, for instance.  This message could also even
have been sent as a a polite personal note from a codeveloper.

* RE: snapshots revisited
@ 2011-03-11 15:39           ` Karl M
From: Karl M @ 2011-03-11 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 10:25:12 -0500
> From: cgf
> Subject: Re: snapshots revisited
>
> On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 09:20:12AM +0100, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> >> Actually, apologies. I guess the above is a comment.
> >
> >Actually, yes, it's one of these unnecessary comments which only purpose
> >is to kick peoples asses. Therefore it belongs to the cygwin-talk list
> >or to /dev/null.
>
> Wow. Yeah, like this message, for instance. This message could also even
> have been sent as a a polite personal note from a codeveloper.

And I always thought of the two of you as the responsible adults on this list. :=)

But for all the work you two do to make Cygwin what it is, I can only say thanks.

* Re: snapshots revisited
@ 2011-03-11 16:37           ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2011-03-11 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 10:25:12AM -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 09:20:12AM +0100, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

>>> Actually, apologies.  I guess the above is a comment.
>>
>>Actually, yes, it's one of these unnecessary comments which only purpose
>>is to kick peoples asses.  Therefore it belongs to the cygwin-talk list
>>or to /dev/null.

I apologize (for real) for my snarky comments above, especially since
Corinna was caught in the wake of my snarkiness.

This thread has moved to cygwin-talk but I wanted to make sure that this
particular message reached the right audience.  Any followups should go
to cygwin-talk.