* Certain files in Windows/System32 are invisible in Cygwin
@ 2011-03-30 20:30 Eric Bracken
From: Eric Bracken @ 2011-03-30 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

This is a strange problem:  certain files in the Windows/System32
directory are not visible from Cygwin:

    Studio(27): ls /cygdrive/c/Windows/System32/nbtstat.exe
    ls: cannot access /cygdrive/c/Windows/System32/nbtstat.exe: No
such file or directory

But other ones are:

    Studio(28): ls /cygdrive/c/Windows/System32/PING.EXE
    /cygdrive/c/Windows/System32/PING.EXE

The system in question is Windows 7 64-bit (service pack 1), running
Cygwin 1.7.9-1.  I've tried it with and without user access control
enabled, but it doesn't make a difference.  CYGWIN is set to
"nodosfilewarning tty".

The problematic file (nbtstat.exe) most definitely exists and can be
run from a DOS prompt window.

Any ideas?  Thanks!

--Eric Bracken

* Re: Certain files in Windows/System32 are invisible in Cygwin
@ 2011-03-30 23:16 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2011-03-30 23:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mar 30 15:47, Eric Bracken wrote:
> This is a strange problem:  certain files in the Windows/System32
> directory are not visible from Cygwin:
>
>     Studio(27): ls /cygdrive/c/Windows/System32/nbtstat.exe
>     ls: cannot access /cygdrive/c/Windows/System32/nbtstat.exe: No
> such file or directory
>
> But other ones are:
>
>     Studio(28): ls /cygdrive/c/Windows/System32/PING.EXE
>     /cygdrive/c/Windows/System32/PING.EXE
>
> The system in question is Windows 7 64-bit (service pack 1)

Yeah, I thought so.  Ever heard about file system redirection?  If not,
see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa384187%28VS.85%29.aspx

Hint: Try `ls /cygdrive/c/Windows/Sysnative/nbtstat.exe'

This has nothing to do with Cygwin, except that Cygwin is a 32 bit
application.

Corinna

Red Hat

* Re: Certain files in Windows/System32 are invisible in Cygwin
@ 2011-03-30 23:53 ` Spiro Trikaliotis
From: Spiro Trikaliotis @ 2011-03-30 23:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello,

* On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 03:47:16PM -0400 Eric Bracken wrote:
> This is a strange problem:  certain files in the Windows/System32
> directory are not visible from Cygwin:
[...]

> The system in question is Windows 7 64-bit (service pack 1), running
[...]

> The problematic file (nbtstat.exe) most definitely exists and can be
> run from a DOS prompt window.

Windows is lying to you: The file is *not* there.

Windows Vista and Win7 in the 64 bit variants have the file system
redirector
(http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa384187%28VS.85%29.aspx,
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa384249%28VS.85%29.aspx) which
makes all of this a mess.

Cygwin is a 32 bit application; this, it does NOT see
%WINDIR%\System32, but %WINDIR%\SysWOW64. I am sure nbtstat.exe does not
exist there, right?

HTH,
Spiro.

--