* Strange error during /etc/profile
@ 2011-04-04 12:30 DEWI - N. Zacharias
From: DEWI - N. Zacharias @ 2011-04-04 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi all,

After updating cygwin to the newest version after 3 Month I get a strange error if I start the Xwindow with bash as usual

/bin/find: `standard output': Bad file descriptor
/bin/find: Schreibfehler.

I can trace that to the attempt of /etc/profile to read /etc/profile.d

# Run all of the profile.d scripts
# Note that these are supplied by separate packages
# Ascending alphanumerical order enforced

#next line for debugging
echo before trying to read /etc/profile

if [ -d "/etc/profile.d" ]; then
        while read f; do
                if [ -f "${f}" ]; then
                        . "${f}"
                fi
        done <<- EOF
        `/bin/find -L /etc/profile.d -type f -iname '*.sh' -or -iname '*.zsh' | LC_ALL=C sort`
        EOF
fi
#next line for debugging
echo after trying to read /etc/profile

after adding the debugging lines I get

before trying to read /etc/profile
/bin/find: `standard output': Bad file descriptor
/bin/find: Schreibfehler.
after trying to read /etc/profile

but if I execute the /bin/find .... line from the xwindow everything works as expected.

So do someone has an idea what's going on here ??

Thanks
Norbert

Dipl. Phys.
Norbert Zacharias
Wind Measurements & Power Curve Measurements
DEWI GmbH
Ebertstrasse 96
26382 Wilhelmshaven
Germany

Tel.:   +49 4421 4808 876

Fax:    +49 4421 4808 843

Email:  N.Zacharias@dewi.de
Home:   http://www.dewi.de

DEWI GmbH - Deutsches Windenergie-Institut, Wilhelmshaven
Commercial Register No.: Amtsgericht Oldenburg, HRB 130241
Managing Director: Jens Peter Molly
Chairman of the supervisory board: Ministerialrat Dr. Niels Kämpny

* Additional Infos: Strange error during /etc/profile
@ 2011-04-04 12:49 ` DEWI - N. Zacharias
From: DEWI - N. Zacharias @ 2011-04-04 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi all,
the error only shows up if I start from a network drive.(Netware)
If I modify /etc/profile like

MYPWD=$(pwd);
cd /cygdrive/c
[.... do stuff...]
cd $MYPWD

everything works fine.

Norbert

> Gesendet: Montag, 4. April 2011 10:38
> Betreff: [bulk] - Strange error during /etc/profile
>

> Hi all,
>
> After updating cygwin to the newest version after 3 Month I get a strange
> error if I start the Xwindow with bash as usual
>
> /bin/find: `standard output': Bad file descriptor
> /bin/find: Schreibfehler.
>
> I can trace that to the attempt of /etc/profile to read /etc/profile.d
>
> # Run all of the profile.d scripts
> # Note that these are supplied by separate packages
> # Ascending alphanumerical order enforced
>
> #next line for debugging
> echo before trying to read /etc/profile
>
> if [ -d "/etc/profile.d" ]; then
>         while read f; do
>                 if [ -f "${f}" ]; then
>                         . "${f}"
>                 fi
>         done <<- EOF
>         `/bin/find -L /etc/profile.d -type f -iname '*.sh' -or -iname '*.zsh' |
> LC_ALL=C sort`
>         EOF
> fi
> #next line for debugging
> echo after trying to read /etc/profile
>
> after adding the debugging lines I get
>
> before trying to read /etc/profile
> /bin/find: `standard output': Bad file descriptor
> /bin/find: Schreibfehler.
> after trying to read /etc/profile
>
> but if I execute the /bin/find .... line from the xwindow everything works as
> expected.
>
> So do someone has an idea what's going on here ??
>
> Thanks
> Norbert

> Dipl. Phys.
> Norbert Zacharias
> Wind Measurements & Power Curve Measurements
> DEWI GmbH
> Ebertstrasse 96
> 26382 Wilhelmshaven
> Germany
>

> Tel.:   +49 4421 4808 876
>
> Fax:    +49 4421 4808 843
>

> Email:  N.Zacharias@dewi.de
> Home:   http://www.dewi.de
>
> DEWI GmbH - Deutsches Windenergie-Institut, Wilhelmshaven
> Commercial Register No.: Amtsgericht Oldenburg, HRB 130241
> Managing Director: Jens Peter Molly
> Chairman of the supervisory board: Ministerialrat Dr. Niels Kämpny
>
> P Please consider the environment before printing this email.
>

> --

Dipl. Phys.
Norbert Zacharias
Wind Measurements & Power Curve Measurements
DEWI GmbH
Ebertstrasse 96
26382 Wilhelmshaven
Germany

Tel.:   +49 4421 4808 876

Fax:    +49 4421 4808 843

Email:  N.Zacharias@dewi.de
Home:   http://www.dewi.de

DEWI GmbH - Deutsches Windenergie-Institut, Wilhelmshaven
Commercial Register No.: Amtsgericht Oldenburg, HRB 130241
Managing Director: Jens Peter Molly
Chairman of the supervisory board: Ministerialrat Dr. Niels Kämpny

* AW: [bulk] - Re: Additional Infos: Strange error during /etc/profile
@ 2011-04-04 13:00     ` DEWI - N. Zacharias
From: DEWI - N. Zacharias @ 2011-04-04 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi Dave,

[....]

> The fact that /etc/profile wasn't automatically updated shows that you
> manually modified it.

That was true. Centuries ago I add some environment variable settings.

> Please check if the new version (find it at /etc/defaults/etc/profile)
> solves the problem for you.

It works !

> If it does, you can add your
> customizations to it afterwards.

That was not necessary because the settings have moved now to profile.d

Thanks a lot

@ 2011-04-04 13:00   ` David Sastre
From: David Sastre @ 2011-04-04 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin