* Emacs and removal of CYGWIN=tty
@ 2011-06-30  7:59 Lars Bjørndal
From: Lars Bjørndal @ 2011-06-30  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I've heard that the value of the CYGWIN environment variable 'tty' will
be unsupported for the next release of cygwin. I use emacs a lot from within
cygwin, and if not CYTWIN=tty is set prior to starting bash, the control-c
character outputs control-g. C-c, c-x is therefore wrongly interpreted
by emacs. Is there other ways to get emacs works as expected, if the
variable is removed?

Lars

* Re: Emacs and removal of CYGWIN=tty
@ 2011-06-30 11:49 ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2011-06-30 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 6/30/2011 3:58 AM, Lars Bjørndal wrote:
> I've heard that the value of the CYGWIN environment variable 'tty' will
> be unsupported for the next release of cygwin. I use emacs a lot from within
> cygwin, and if not CYTWIN=tty is set prior to starting bash, the control-c
> character outputs control-g. C-c, c-x is therefore wrongly interpreted
> by emacs. Is there other ways to get emacs works as expected, if the
> variable is removed?

The problem only occurs in a Windows console, such as the one you get by
using the Cygwin desktop shortcut.  Use a different terminal emulator,
such as mintty, instead.

Ken

* Re: Emacs and removal of CYGWIN=tty
@ 2011-06-30 11:54   ` Samuel Thibault
From: Samuel Thibault @ 2011-06-30 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Ken Brown, le Thu 30 Jun 2011 07:49:42 -0400, a écrit :
> On 6/30/2011 3:58 AM, Lars Bjørndal wrote:
> >I've heard that the value of the CYGWIN environment variable 'tty' will
> >be unsupported for the next release of cygwin. I use emacs a lot from within
> >cygwin, and if not CYTWIN=tty is set prior to starting bash, the control-c
> >character outputs control-g. C-c, c-x is therefore wrongly interpreted
> >by emacs. Is there other ways to get emacs works as expected, if the
> >variable is removed?
>
> The problem only occurs in a Windows console, such as the one you get by
> using the Cygwin desktop shortcut.  Use a different terminal emulator, such
> as mintty, instead.

This is not an option, as mintty is not accessible from brltty.

Samuel

* Re: Emacs and removal of CYGWIN=tty
@ 2011-06-30 14:09     ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2011-06-30 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Jun 30 13:54, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> Ken Brown, le Thu 30 Jun 2011 07:49:42 -0400, a écrit :
> > On 6/30/2011 3:58 AM, Lars Bjørndal wrote:
> > >I've heard that the value of the CYGWIN environment variable 'tty' will
> > >be unsupported for the next release of cygwin. I use emacs a lot from within
> > >cygwin, and if not CYTWIN=tty is set prior to starting bash, the control-c
> > >character outputs control-g. C-c, c-x is therefore wrongly interpreted
> > >by emacs. Is there other ways to get emacs works as expected, if the
> > >variable is removed?
> >
> > The problem only occurs in a Windows console, such as the one you get by
> > using the Cygwin desktop shortcut.  Use a different terminal emulator, such
> > as mintty, instead.
>
> This is not an option, as mintty is not accessible from brltty.

I just applied a patch to CVS which makes Emacs' Ctrl-x Ctrl-c work as
expected in the console.  This should work with other applications as
well which set the termios IGNBRK flag.

Corinna

Red Hat

* Re: Emacs and removal of CYGWIN=tty
@ 2011-06-30 15:58     ` Andrew DeFaria
From: Andrew DeFaria @ 2011-06-30 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 06/30/11 04:54, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> Ken Brown, le Thu 30 Jun 2011 07:49:42 -0400, a écrit :
>> On 6/30/2011 3:58 AM, Lars Bjørndal wrote:
>>> I've heard that the value of the CYGWIN environment variable 'tty' will
>>> be unsupported for the next release of cygwin. I use emacs a lot
>>> from within
>>> cygwin, and if not CYTWIN=tty is set prior to starting bash, the
>>> control-c
>>> character outputs control-g. C-c, c-x is therefore wrongly interpreted
>>> by emacs. Is there other ways to get emacs works as expected, if the
>>> variable is removed?
>>
>> The problem only occurs in a Windows console, such as the one you get by
>> using the Cygwin desktop shortcut. Use a different terminal emulator,
>> such
>> as mintty, instead.
>
> This is not an option, as mintty is not accessible from brltty.
What's a "brltty"?
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
I went to a general store, but they wouldn't let me buy anything specific.

* Re: Emacs and removal of CYGWIN=tty
@ 2011-06-30 16:01       ` Samuel Thibault
From: Samuel Thibault @ 2011-06-30 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Andrew DeFaria, le Thu 30 Jun 2011 08:57:32 -0700, a écrit :
> On 06/30/11 04:54, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> >Ken Brown, le Thu 30 Jun 2011 07:49:42 -0400, a écrit :
> >>
> >>The problem only occurs in a Windows console, such as the one you get by
> >>using the Cygwin desktop shortcut. Use a different terminal emulator,
> >>such
> >>as mintty, instead.
> >
> >This is not an option, as mintty is not accessible from brltty.
> What's a "brltty"?

The screen reader that blind people use to access cygwin's shell. Only
the windows consoles provide the ReadConsoleOutputCharacter interface.

Samuel

* Re: Emacs and removal of CYGWIN=tty
@ 2011-07-06  7:04       ` Lars Bjørndal
From: Lars Bjørndal @ 2011-07-06  7:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Corinna Vinschen writes:

> On Jun 30 13:54, Samuel Thibault wrote:
>> Ken Brown, le Thu 30 Jun 2011 07:49:42 -0400, a écrit :
>> >
>> > The problem only occurs in a Windows console, such as the one you get by
>> > using the Cygwin desktop shortcut.  Use a different terminal emulator, such
>> > as mintty, instead.
>>
>> This is not an option, as mintty is not accessible from brltty.
>
> I just applied a patch to CVS which makes Emacs' Ctrl-x Ctrl-c work as
> expected in the console.  This should work with other applications as
> well which set the termios IGNBRK flag.

I downloaded the 20110705 version of cygwin1.dll, and replaced my
original one. Now, BRLTTY doesn't work. It starts, but the braille
display isn't updated/refreshed. I confirmed that Emacs exits with c-x,
c-c.

@ 2011-07-06  7:20         ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2011-07-06  7:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Jul  6 09:04, Lars Bjørndal wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen writes:

> >> This is not an option, as mintty is not accessible from brltty.
> >
> > I just applied a patch to CVS which makes Emacs' Ctrl-x Ctrl-c work as
> > expected in the console.  This should work with other applications as
> > well which set the termios IGNBRK flag.
>
> I downloaded the 20110705 version of cygwin1.dll, and replaced my
> original one. Now, BRLTTY doesn't work. It starts, but the braille
> display isn't updated/refreshed. I confirmed that Emacs exits with c-x,
> c-c.

What I don't get from your reply is if you are comparing the latest
snapshot against 1.7.9 with CYGWIN=tty mode, or if you're comparing
to another snapshot in default console mode.  Without this information
it's rather tricky to see where the problem might come from.

We're trying to make the console window work so that the tty option is
not necessary, but we can't debug stuff we can't use.  So this might
have to be debugged by a brltty developer.

I can't believe it's due to my change.  The only relevant difference
between 20110705 and the 20110624 snapshot is that Window's Ctrl-C
handling is now switched off if an applicaton sets the IGNBRK termios
attribute.

The problem is to know how the braille display is updated and what's
missing in the console tty emulation

Corinna

Red Hat

* Re: Emacs and removal of CYGWIN=tty
@ 2011-07-06  8:03           ` Lars Bjørndal
From: Lars Bjørndal @ 2011-07-06  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

[Corinna Vinschen]

> What I don't get from your reply is if you are comparing the latest
> snapshot against 1.7.9 with CYGWIN=tty mode, or if you're comparing
> to another snapshot in default console mode.

Oh, I'm sorry. Tested against the 1.7.9 version.

@ 2011-07-06  8:54             ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2011-07-06  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Jul  6 10:03, Lars Bjørndal wrote:
> [Corinna Vinschen]
>
> > What I don't get from your reply is if you are comparing the latest
> > snapshot against 1.7.9 with CYGWIN=tty mode, or if you're comparing
> > to another snapshot in default console mode.
>
> Oh, I'm sorry. Tested against the 1.7.9 version.

In CYGWIN=tty or CYGWIN=notty mode?

Corinna

Red Hat

* Re: Emacs and removal of CYGWIN=tty
@ 2011-07-06 11:09               ` Lars Bjørndal
From: Lars Bjørndal @ 2011-07-06 11:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

[Corinna]

> On Jul  6 10:03, Lars Bjørndal wrote:
>> [Corinna Vinschen]
>>
>> > What I don't get from your reply is if you are comparing the latest
>> > snapshot against 1.7.9 with CYGWIN=tty mode, or if you're comparing
>> > to another snapshot in default console mode.
>>
>> Oh, I'm sorry. Tested against the 1.7.9 version.
>
> In CYGWIN=tty or CYGWIN=notty mode?

In both environments, BRLTTY works with 1.7.9.

@ 2011-07-06 15:29                 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2011-07-06 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, Jul 06, 2011 at 01:08:26PM +0200, Lars Bj?rndal wrote:
>[Corinna]
>
>> On Jul  6 10:03, Lars Bj?rndal wrote:
>>> [Corinna Vinschen]

>>> Oh, I'm sorry. Tested against the 1.7.9 version.
>>
>> In CYGWIN=tty or CYGWIN=notty mode?
>
>In both environments, BRLTTY works with 1.7.9.

So are you claiming that Corinna's change caused the problem or did you
see this with other snapshots?

cgf

* Re: Emacs and removal of CYGWIN=tty
@ 2011-07-07  7:32                   ` Lars Bjørndal
From: Lars Bjørndal @ 2011-07-07  7:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Christopher Faylor writes:

> On Wed, Jul 06, 2011 at 01:08:26PM +0200, Lars Bj?rndal wrote:
>>[Corinna]

>>> In CYGWIN=tty or CYGWIN=notty mode?
>>
>>In both environments, BRLTTY works with 1.7.9.
>
> So are you claiming that Corinna's change caused the problem or did you
> see this with other snapshots?

I did a test with 20110624, and BRLTTY doesn't work there either. Sorry
for the confusion. Corinnas patch looks perfect.

Let's wait for Samuel to comment, since he is contributing to the BRLTTY
development team.

Lars

* brltty problems with recent snapshots (was Re: Emacs and removal of CYGWIN=tty)
@ 2011-07-11  0:09                     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2011-07-11  0:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Jul 07, 2011 at 09:31:28AM +0200, Lars Bj?rndal wrote:
>Christopher Faylor writes:
>
>> On Wed, Jul 06, 2011 at 01:08:26PM +0200, Lars Bj?rndal wrote:
>>>[Corinna]

>>>In both environments, BRLTTY works with 1.7.9.
>>
>> So are you claiming that Corinna's change caused the problem or did you
>> see this with other snapshots?
>
>I did a test with 20110624, and BRLTTY doesn't work there either. Sorry
>for the confusion. Corinnas patch looks perfect.
>
>Let's wait for Samuel to comment, since he is contributing to the BRLTTY
>development team.

Since neither Corinna nor I know how to run brltty we really need some
insight here.  strace output for working and nonworking cases would be
useful, I guess.  Please be sure to use the most recent (i.e., at least
2011-07-10) snapshot when testing.

cgf

* Re: brltty problems with recent snapshots (was Re: Emacs and removal of CYGWIN=tty)
@ 2011-07-11  0:11                       ` Samuel Thibault
From: Samuel Thibault @ 2011-07-11  0:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Christopher Faylor, le Sun 10 Jul 2011 20:08:43 -0400, a écrit :
> On Thu, Jul 07, 2011 at 09:31:28AM +0200, Lars Bj?rndal wrote:
> >Christopher Faylor writes:

> >> So are you claiming that Corinna's change caused the problem or did you
> >> see this with other snapshots?
> >
> >I did a test with 20110624, and BRLTTY doesn't work there either. Sorry
> >for the confusion. Corinnas patch looks perfect.
> >
> >Let's wait for Samuel to comment, since he is contributing to the BRLTTY
> >development team.
>
> Since neither Corinna nor I know how to run brltty we really need some
> insight here.

I'm away at LSM at the moment, so I don't have the time to investigate.
However, just run

brltty -b xw

and it'll open a window at the top of the screen, which is supposed to
display your shell prompt and what you are typing.

Samuel

* Re: brltty problems with recent snapshots (was Re: Emacs and removal of CYGWIN=tty)
@ 2011-07-11  0:31                         ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2011-07-11  0:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 02:11:14AM +0200, Samuel Thibault wrote:
>Christopher Faylor, le Sun 10 Jul 2011 20:08:43 -0400, a ?crit :

>> >I did a test with 20110624, and BRLTTY doesn't work there either. Sorry
>> >for the confusion. Corinnas patch looks perfect.
>> >
>> >Let's wait for Samuel to comment, since he is contributing to the BRLTTY
>> >development team.
>>
>> Since neither Corinna nor I know how to run brltty we really need some
>> insight here.
>
>I'm away at LSM at the moment, so I don't have the time to investigate.
>However, just run
>
>brltty -b xw
>
>and it'll open a window at the top of the screen, which is supposed to
>display your shell prompt and what you are typing.

Thanks.

I don't see any difference in behavior between Cygwin 1.7.9, the most
recent snapshot, or the 20110629 snapshot.  I did have to run rebaseall
to get everything working though.

@ 2011-07-11 14:45                           ` Samuel Thibault
From: Samuel Thibault @ 2011-07-11 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Christopher Faylor, le Sun 10 Jul 2011 20:31:22 -0400, a écrit :
> On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 02:11:14AM +0200, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> >just run
> >
> >brltty -b xw
> >
> >and it'll open a window at the top of the screen, which is supposed to
> >display your shell prompt and what you are typing.
>
> Thanks.
>
> I don't see any difference in behavior between Cygwin 1.7.9, the most
> recent snapshot, or the 20110629 snapshot.

What behavior do you see?  Does the window show you the text as you type
it in the cygwin console?

Samuel

* Re: brltty problems with recent snapshots (was Re: Emacs and removal of CYGWIN=tty)
@ 2011-07-11 14:58                             ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2011-07-11 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 04:44:49PM +0200, Samuel Thibault wrote:
>Christopher Faylor, le Sun 10 Jul 2011 20:31:22 -0400, a ?crit :
>> On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 02:11:14AM +0200, Samuel Thibault wrote:
>> >just run
>> >
>> >brltty -b xw
>> >
>> >and it'll open a window at the top of the screen, which is supposed to
>> >display your shell prompt and what you are typing.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> I don't see any difference in behavior between Cygwin 1.7.9, the most
>> recent snapshot, or the 20110629 snapshot.
>
>What behavior do you see?  Does the window show you the text as you type
>it in the cygwin console?

Yes.

* Re: brltty problems with recent snapshots
@ 2011-07-11 19:12                               ` Lars Bjørndal
From: Lars Bjørndal @ 2011-07-11 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Christopher Faylor writes:

> On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 04:44:49PM +0200, Samuel Thibault wrote:
>>Christopher Faylor, le Sun 10 Jul 2011 20:31:22 -0400, a ?crit :

>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> I don't see any difference in behavior between Cygwin 1.7.9, the most
>>> recent snapshot, or the 20110629 snapshot.
>>
>>What behavior do you see?  Does the window show you the text as you type
>>it in the cygwin console?
>
> Yes.

Let me explain a bit more what happens here.

(I've tried to also run rebaseall, but with no different result.)

BRLTTY starts with a recent cygwin1.dll,, and the initial startup
message is displayed on my braille display. Normally, it should be
possible to press a scrolling key to make the message disappear, but
nothing happens. If I, however, press the BRLTTY paste keys, the
display is updated with the text at the current screen line. If the
current line is a terminal prompt, and I type some text, the display
isn't updated until I again press the BRLTTY paste. If I press the
scroll up key for instance four times, and then press the paste keys, I
can read the content of that line.

I'm using a Handy Tech Modular Evolution braille display, and so the ht
driver in BRLTTY are used. The problem may be related to the braille
driver in BRLTTY, I don't know.

Hope this helps.

Lars

* Re: brltty problems with recent snapshots
@ 2011-07-12  7:38                                 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2011-07-12  7:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Jul 11 21:12, Lars Bjørndal wrote:
> Christopher Faylor writes:
>
> > On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 04:44:49PM +0200, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> >>Christopher Faylor, le Sun 10 Jul 2011 20:31:22 -0400, a ?crit :

> >>What behavior do you see?  Does the window show you the text as you type
> >>it in the cygwin console?
> >
> > Yes.
>
> Let me explain a bit more what happens here.
>
> (I've tried to also run rebaseall, but with no different result.)
>
> BRLTTY starts with a recent cygwin1.dll,, and the initial startup
> message is displayed on my braille display. Normally, it should be
> possible to press a scrolling key to make the message disappear, but
> nothing happens. If I, however, press the BRLTTY paste keys, the
> display is updated with the text at the current screen line. If the
> current line is a terminal prompt, and I type some text, the display
> isn't updated until I again press the BRLTTY paste. If I press the
> scroll up key for instance four times, and then press the paste keys, I
> can read the content of that line.

I just tried `brltty -b xw', too, and that's not what I see.  Every
keypress and every change to the command line is immediately reflected
in the brltty window.

Corinna

Red Hat

* Re: brltty problems with recent snapshots
@ 2011-07-12 12:45                                   ` Samuel Thibault
       [not found]                                     ` <m37h7m7dnd.fsf@dalen.lamasti.net>
From: Samuel Thibault @ 2011-07-12 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Corinna Vinschen, le Tue 12 Jul 2011 09:38:14 +0200, a écrit :
> I just tried `brltty -b xw', too, and that's not what I see.  Every
> keypress and every change to the command line is immediately reflected
> in the brltty window.

Ok, I believe the issue is particular to the driver then. It may be
related to ttys due to the use of opening the braille device itself.

Lars, are you using com1: or usb:?  Could you perhaps try to go yet
earlier in the snapshots, up to the latest one which still works, so we
can know which snapshot brought the bug exactly?

Samuel

@ 2011-07-13 13:05                                       ` Samuel Thibault
From: Samuel Thibault @ 2011-07-13 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Bjørndal, cygwin

Lars Bjørndal, le Wed 13 Jul 2011 11:06:46 +0200, a écrit :
> > Corinna Vinschen, le Tue 12 Jul 2011 09:38:14 +0200, a écrit :
> >> I just tried `brltty -b xw', too, and that's not what I see.  Every
> >> keypress and every change to the command line is immediately reflected
> >> in the brltty window.
> >
> > Ok, I believe the issue is particular to the driver then. It may be
> > related to ttys due to the use of opening the braille device itself.
> >
> > Lars, are you using com1: or usb:?  Could you perhaps try to go yet
> > earlier in the snapshots, up to the latest one which still works, so we
> > can know which snapshot brought the bug exactly?
>
> I'm using a com-port, since Modular Evolution has USB2serial conversion.

Ok, so the tty layer of cygwin is involved indeed.

> The latest cygwin1.dll that works for me, is 20110502.

Ok, I'll let cygwin people have a look at the changelog.

Samuel

* Re: brltty problems with recent snapshots
@ 2011-07-13 15:32                                         ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2011-07-13 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 03:05:41PM +0200, Samuel Thibault wrote:
>Lars Bj?rndal, le Wed 13 Jul 2011 11:06:46 +0200, a ?crit :
>> > Corinna Vinschen, le Tue 12 Jul 2011 09:38:14 +0200, a ?crit :
>> >
>> > Ok, I believe the issue is particular to the driver then. It may be
>> > related to ttys due to the use of opening the braille device itself.
>> >
>> > Lars, are you using com1: or usb:?  Could you perhaps try to go yet
>> > earlier in the snapshots, up to the latest one which still works, so we
>> > can know which snapshot brought the bug exactly?
>>
>> I'm using a com-port, since Modular Evolution has USB2serial conversion.
>
>Ok, so the tty layer of cygwin is involved indeed.

Nope. "tty layer" != "com port".

@ 2011-07-13 15:52                                           ` Samuel Thibault
From: Samuel Thibault @ 2011-07-13 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Christopher Faylor, le Wed 13 Jul 2011 11:30:43 -0400, a écrit :
> On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 03:05:41PM +0200, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> >Ok, so the tty layer of cygwin is involved indeed.
>
> Nope. "tty layer" != "com port".

Ah, in cygwin, then. Ok.

Samuel