* chmod problem
@ 2012-04-04 20:17 Karl M
From: Karl M @ 2012-04-04 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi All...

On a recent Cygwin install on a new win7-64 machine, I ran into a problem. The ssh service would not start because the protection on the /etc/ssh_host_rsa_key was too weak. (I use only the rsa host key.)

If I chmod the file to 600, all is well. But...if I do it within a shell script, the chmod has no effect. Below is a short test case and a bash -x run of the script?

$ cat test-config
chown administrators /etc/ssh*
ls -al /etc/ssh_host_rsa_key
chmod -v 600 /etc/ssh_host_rsa_key
ls -al /etc/ssh_host_rsa_key
$ cat test-config
chown administrators /etc/ssh*
ls -al /etc/ssh_host_rsa_key
chmod -v 600 /etc/ssh_host_rsa_key
ls -al /etc/ssh_host_rsa_key

$ bash -x test-config
+ chown administrators /etc/ssh_host_rsa_key /etc/ssh_host_rsa_key.pub /etc/sshd_config
+ ls -al /etc/ssh_host_rsa_key
-rw-rw---- 1 Administrators root 1675 Apr 4 11:30 /etc/ssh_host_rsa_key
+ chmod -v 600 /etc/ssh_host_rsa_key
mode of `/etc/ssh_host_rsa_key' changed from 0660 (rw-rw----) to 0600 (rw-------)
+ ls -al /etc/ssh_host_rsa_key
-rw-rw---- 1 Administrators root 1675 Apr 4 11:30 /etc/ssh_host_rsa_key

This test was on a fresh (1.7.12) from this morning.

Long term, this may be a csih issue, but I was just making a workaround for now...but my workaroung failed to workaround.

Thanks,

...Karl

* Re: chmod problem
@ 2012-04-05  9:46 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2012-04-05  9:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Apr  4 13:16, Karl M wrote:

> Hi All...
>

> On a recent Cygwin install on a new win7-64 machine, I ran into a problem. The ssh service would not start because the protection on the /etc/ssh_host_rsa_key was too weak. (I use only the rsa host key.)
>
> If I chmod the file to 600, all is well. But...if I do it within a shell script, the chmod has no effect. Below is a short test case and a bash -x run of the script?
>

> $ cat test-config
> chown administrators /etc/ssh*
> ls -al /etc/ssh_host_rsa_key
> chmod -v 600 /etc/ssh_host_rsa_key
> ls -al /etc/ssh_host_rsa_key
> $ cat test-config
> chown administrators /etc/ssh*
> ls -al /etc/ssh_host_rsa_key
> chmod -v 600 /etc/ssh_host_rsa_key
> ls -al /etc/ssh_host_rsa_key
>

> $ bash -x test-config
> + chown administrators /etc/ssh_host_rsa_key /etc/ssh_host_rsa_key.pub /etc/sshd_config
> + ls -al /etc/ssh_host_rsa_key
> -rw-rw---- 1 Administrators root 1675 Apr 4 11:30 /etc/ssh_host_rsa_key
> + chmod -v 600 /etc/ssh_host_rsa_key
> mode of `/etc/ssh_host_rsa_key' changed from 0660 (rw-rw----) to 0600 (rw-------)
> + ls -al /etc/ssh_host_rsa_key
> -rw-rw---- 1 Administrators root 1675 Apr 4 11:30 /etc/ssh_host_rsa_key
>
> This test was on a fresh (1.7.12) from this morning.

There's your problem:  The Administrators group and the root group
are just two different Cygwin group names for the same Windows group
with SID S-1-5-32-544.  So, the above POSIX permissions are a result
of the SID S-1.5.32.544 having rw- permissions.

Apart from that, the owner of the /etc/ssh* files should be cyg_server,
not the admins group.

Corinna

Red Hat

* RE: chmod problem
@ 2012-04-05 12:19   ` Karl M
From: Karl M @ 2012-04-05 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2012 11:46:07 +0200
> From: corinna
> To: cygwin
> Subject: Re: chmod problem
>
> On Apr 4 13:16, Karl M wrote:
> >

> > Hi All...
> >

> > On a recent Cygwin install on a new win7-64 machine, I ran into a problem. The ssh service would not start because the protection on the /etc/ssh_host_rsa_key was too weak. (I use only the rsa host key.)
> >
> > If I chmod the file to 600, all is well. But...if I do it within a shell script, the chmod has no effect. Below is a short test case and a bash -x run of the script?
> >

> > $ cat test-config
> > chown administrators /etc/ssh*
> > ls -al /etc/ssh_host_rsa_key
> > chmod -v 600 /etc/ssh_host_rsa_key
> > ls -al /etc/ssh_host_rsa_key
> >

> > $ bash -x test-config
> > + chown administrators /etc/ssh_host_rsa_key /etc/ssh_host_rsa_key.pub /etc/sshd_config
> > + ls -al /etc/ssh_host_rsa_key
> > -rw-rw---- 1 Administrators root 1675 Apr 4 11:30 /etc/ssh_host_rsa_key
> > + chmod -v 600 /etc/ssh_host_rsa_key
> > mode of `/etc/ssh_host_rsa_key' changed from 0660 (rw-rw----) to 0600 (rw-------)
> > + ls -al /etc/ssh_host_rsa_key
> > -rw-rw---- 1 Administrators root 1675 Apr 4 11:30 /etc/ssh_host_rsa_key
> >
> > This test was on a fresh (1.7.12) from this morning.
>
> There's your problem: The Administrators group and the root group
> are just two different Cygwin group names for the same Windows group
> with SID S-1-5-32-544. So, the above POSIX permissions are a result
> of the SID S-1.5.32.544 having rw- permissions.
>
> Apart from that, the owner of the /etc/ssh* files should be cyg_server,
> not the admins group.

I name my cyg_server user root.

But my testcase was demonstrating that chmod thought it changed the file permissions but had no effect when performed in a script. While when performed interactively at the bash command prompt, chmod worked fine.

...Karl

* Re: chmod problem
@ 2012-04-05 12:26     ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2012-04-05 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Apr  5 05:19, Karl M wrote:
> > > + ls -al /etc/ssh_host_rsa_key
> > > -rw-rw---- 1 Administrators root 1675 Apr 4 11:30 /etc/ssh_host_rsa_key
> > >
> > > This test was on a fresh (1.7.12) from this morning.
> >
> > There's your problem: The Administrators group and the root group
> > are just two different Cygwin group names for the same Windows group
> > with SID S-1-5-32-544. So, the above POSIX permissions are a result
> > of the SID S-1.5.32.544 having rw- permissions.
> >
> > Apart from that, the owner of the /etc/ssh* files should be cyg_server,
> > not the admins group.
> >
> I name my cyg_server user root.

But your root group is the same as the Administrators group.  Look into
the file's ACL.

> But my testcase was demonstrating that chmod thought it changed the
> file permissions but had no effect when performed in a script. While
> when performed interactively at the bash command prompt, chmod worked
> fine.

It works still fine for me if I don't use the same Windows group as
owner and as group of the file.

Corinna

Red Hat

* Re: chmod problem
@ 2012-04-05 12:28       ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2012-04-05 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Apr  5 14:25, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> > > There's your problem: The Administrators group and the root group
> > > are just two different Cygwin group names for the same Windows group
> > > with SID S-1-5-32-544. So, the above POSIX permissions are a result
> > > of the SID S-1.5.32.544 having rw- permissions.
> > >
> > > Apart from that, the owner of the /etc/ssh* files should be cyg_server,
> > > not the admins group.
> > >
> > I name my cyg_server user root.
>
> But your root group is the same as the Administrators group.  Look into
> the file's ACL.
>
> > But my testcase was demonstrating that chmod thought it changed the
> > file permissions but had no effect when performed in a script. While
> > when performed interactively at the bash command prompt, chmod worked
> > fine.
>
> It works still fine for me if I don't use the same Windows group as
> owner and as group of the file.

Btw., there were no changes at all between 1.7.10 and 1.7.12 which
would even remotely touch chmod or chown behaviour on files.

Corinna

Red Hat

* RE: chmod problem
@ 2012-04-05 12:37         ` Karl M
From: Karl M @ 2012-04-05 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> > > There's your problem: The Administrators group and the root group
> > > are just two different Cygwin group names for the same Windows group
> > > with SID S-1-5-32-544. So, the above POSIX permissions are a result
> > > of the SID S-1.5.32.544 having rw- permissions.
> > >
> > > Apart from that, the owner of the /etc/ssh* files should be cyg_server,
> > > not the admins group.
> > >
> > I name my cyg_server user root.
>
> But your root group is the same as the Administrators group. Look into
> the file's ACL.
>
> > But my testcase was demonstrating that chmod thought it changed the
> > file permissions but had no effect when performed in a script. While
> > when performed interactively at the bash command prompt, chmod worked
> > fine.
>
> It works still fine for me if I don't use the same Windows group as
> owner and as group of the file.

Btw., there were no changes at all between 1.7.10 and 1.7.12 which
would even remotely touch chmod or chown behaviour on files.

If you do use the same windows group as owner and group of the file

do you get the same thing as me?

I still don't understand why doing the chmod command interactively is different.

...Karl

* Re: chmod problem
@ 2012-04-05 12:42           ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2012-04-05 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Apr  5 05:37, Karl M wrote:
> On Apr 5 14:25, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > It works still fine for me if I don't use the same Windows group as
> > owner and as group of the file.
>
> Btw., there were no changes at all between 1.7.10 and 1.7.12 which
> would even remotely touch chmod or chown behaviour on files.
>

> If you do use the same windows group as owner and group of the file
>
> do you get the same thing as me?
>
> I still don't understand why doing the chmod command interactively is different.

It works this way interactively as well as in a script:

  $ touch komisch
  $ ll komisch
  -rw-r--r-- 1 corinna vinschen 0 Apr  5 14:40 komisch
  $ chown administrators.root komisch
  $ ll komisch
  -rw-rw-r-- 1 Administrators root 0 Apr  5 14:40 komisch
  $ chmod 600 komisch
  $ ll komisch
  -rw-rw---- 1 Administrators root 0 Apr  5 14:40 komisch
  $

Corinna

Red Hat

* RE: chmod problem
@ 2002-09-09  3:10 Vince Hoffman
From: Vince Hoffman @ 2002-09-09  3:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Volker Quetschke', cygwin

i seem to remember windows permission inheritance can cause this kind of
problem ? maybe have a search of the archives, but its still monday morning
so my brain may not be working properly yet.

From: Volker Quetschke @ 2002-09-08 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

--
PGP/GPG key  (ID: 0x9F8A785D)  available  from  wwwkeys.de.pgp.net
key-fingerprint 550D F17E B082 A3E9 F913  9E53 3D35 C9BA 9F8A 785D

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 250 bytes --]

* Re: chmod problem
       [not found] ` <3D7B7400.9070702@scytek.de>
@ 2002-09-08 10:42   ` John Perry
From: John Perry @ 2002-09-08 10:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Volker Quetschke; +Cc: cygwin

On Sun, 8 Sep 2002, Volker Quetschke wrote:

-> Err, in which FAQ is this written? Just try chmod, it works!

From the FAQ:

Why doesn't chmod work?
`ntsec' will allow UNIX permissions in Windows NT on NTFS file systems.

`ntea' works on NTFS and FAT but it creates a huge, undeletable file on
FAT filesystems.

(The `ntsec' and `ntea' settings are values for the `CYGWIN' environment
variable. See the Cygwin User's Guide at
http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/cygwin-ug-net.html for more information on
this variable and its settings.)

There is no solution at all for Windows 9x.

If you have an application that requires a certain permission mode on a
file, you may be able to work around this requirement by modifying the
application's source code. For a hint, based on work done by Corinna
Vinschen for OpenSSH, see this message from the cygwin mailing list:
http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2000-11/msg01176.html.

-> As I said, use chmod. I am using gnupg on a win2k system.

I tried using chmod. Although I get no errors and in verbose mode it says
the permissions are changed, a "ls -al" shows:

$ chmod 600 *

perry@ELVIS ~/.gnupg
$ ls -la
total 235
drwxr-xr-x    2 perry    None         4096 Sep  8 09:46 .
drwxr-xr-x    7 perry    None         8192 Sep  8 11:58 ..
-rw-r--r--    1 perry    None         7793 Sep  8 09:41 options
-rw-r--r--    1 perry    None        99956 Sep  8 09:37 pubring.gpg
-rw-r--r--    1 perry    None        99872 Sep  8 09:22 pubring.gpg~
-rw-r--r--    1 perry    None          600 Sep  8 09:37 random_seed
-rw-r--r--    1 perry    None        16225 Sep  8 09:14 secring.gpg
-rw-r--r--    1 perry    None         1760 Sep  8 09:46 trustdb.gpg

So although the command thinks it was successful, the permissions still
stay unchanged.

--
 John Perry - perry@jpunix.com
 http://www.jpunix.com

* Re: chmod problem
@ 2002-09-08  9:40 ` Pavel Tsekov
       [not found] ` <3D7B7400.9070702@scytek.de>
From: Pavel Tsekov @ 2002-09-08  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Perry; +Cc: cygwin

On Sun, 8 Sep 2002, John Perry wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
>
> 	I need to change permissions on several files on my system.
> Particularly I need to change the permissions on my keyrings and options
> file under GnuPG. I read the FAQ about how to do it and I understand that
> I must do it under Windows instead of using chmod. The problem is that I

Which FAQ ? The one on http://cygwin.com ? I don't recall such a thing.

Cygwin provides the chmod utility and you can change the permissions of
your files as long as you are running NT-like operating system, the
partition on which the files reside is NTFS and you have set the
CYGWIN environment variable to contain 'ntsec' (without quotes).
If you're using NT-like OS and have FAT formated partitions you can add
'ntea' to the CYGWIN variable but this has some sideefects.

Maybe you need to read the FAQ again - start with this link:
http://cygwin.com/faq/faq_4.html#SEC44

* chmod problem
@ 2002-09-08  8:25 John Perry
       [not found] ` <3D7B7400.9070702@scytek.de>
From: John Perry @ 2002-09-08  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello Everyone,

	I need to change permissions on several files on my system.
Particularly I need to change the permissions on my keyrings and options
file under GnuPG. I read the FAQ about how to do it and I understand that
I must do it under Windows instead of using chmod. The problem is that I
really don't know enough about Windows to make the correct change. I'm
running Windows 2000. I need to change the permissions to 600 i.e. no
groups or world access. Is there a way to do this? If so can someone
please explain to me exactly what it is I need to do under Windows
2000/Cygwin to make it happen? I know the UNIX stuff backwards and
forwards. It's the Windows stuff that has me stumped.

--
 John Perry - perry@jpunix.com
 http://www.jpunix.com

* Re: CHMOD problem.
@ 2001-12-31  2:23 ` Pavel Tsekov
From: Pavel Tsekov @ 2001-12-31  2:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: JOSE (GRI); +Cc: cygwin

JOSE (GRI) wrote:

> Hi,
>  I Tried to do CHMOD  on some of my files but the permissions
>  are not changing. may i know the reason?

The reason is that you haven't red the FAQ ;)

* Re: CHMOD problem.
@ 2001-12-31  2:22 ` Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2001-12-31  2:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: JOSE (GRI), cygwin

>  I Tried to do CHMOD  on some of my files but the permissions
>  are not changing. may i know the reason?

Yes.

Rob

* CHMOD problem.
@ 2001-12-31  2:08 JOSE (GRI)
From: JOSE (GRI) @ 2001-12-31  2:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,
 I Tried to do CHMOD  on some of my files but the permissions
 are not changing. may i know the reason?

Thanks.