* 1.7.16: problem with CTRL+C and CTRL+Z
@ 2012-08-21 19:09 Rob Siklos
From: Rob Siklos @ 2012-08-21 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi Cygwin List,

I've read some messages on this topic, but haven't been able to find a
resolution to my problem.

Here's what I'm doing at the bash prompt:

$ /c/Windows/system32/ping.exe -t cygwin.com

The result is an endless ping trace - as expected.

The problem is that I have no way of stopping this command.  Here is
what I've tried:
   1) CTRL+C: does nothing
   2) CTRL+Z: does nothing
   3) CTRL+Break: Prints the text "Control-Break" in the output, but
doesn't exit the ping process (expected, since it behaves the same way
when running under cmd.exe).

I would expect CTRL+C to stop the process (the way it does when
running under cmd.exe).

I would also expect CTRL+Z to suspend the process, so that I could
then manage it with "bg" and "fg".

I first noticed something was weird because when I upgraded cygwin
CTRL+C stopped working (i.e. had no effect) when pressed in the middle
of an "msbuild.exe" run.  Previously, this caused msbuild to stop.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Rob.

* Re: 1.7.16: problem with CTRL+C and CTRL+Z
@ 2012-08-21 19:46 ` Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2012-08-21 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 1:24 PM, Rob Siklos wrote:
> Hi Cygwin List,
>
> I've read some messages on this topic, but haven't been able to find a
> resolution to my problem.

Did you read the part that said to try cygwin.com/snapshots for a fix?

> Any help would be much appreciated.

Maybe:?

Earnie

* Re: 1.7.16: problem with CTRL+C and CTRL+Z
@ 2012-08-21 19:47   ` Rob Siklos
From: Rob Siklos @ 2012-08-21 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Quoting Earnie Boyd <earnie@users.sourceforge.net>:

> Did you read the part that said to try cygwin.com/snapshots for a fix?

Ok - my bad - snapshot works well for CTRL+C.

Seems like CTRL+Z only works for selected cygwin native processes.  If
this is wrong, please let me know.

Thanks Earnie

@ 2012-08-21 20:07     ` Andrew DeFaria
From: Andrew DeFaria @ 2012-08-21 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 8/21/2012 12:09 PM, Rob Siklos wrote:
> Quoting Earnie Boyd <earnie@users.sourceforge.net>:
>
>> Did you read the part that said to try cygwin.com/snapshots for a fix?
>
> Ok - my bad - snapshot works well for CTRL+C.
>
> Seems like CTRL+Z only works for selected cygwin native processes.  If
> this is wrong, please let me know.
I believe that non-native Cygwin processes interpret Ctrl-Z to mean end
of data.
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
Avoid unnecessary, unessential and needless repetition and redundancy.

* Re: 1.7.16: problem with CTRL+C and CTRL+Z
@ 2012-08-22  0:07       ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2012-08-22  0:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 12:26:31PM -0700, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
>On 8/21/2012 12:09 PM, Rob Siklos wrote:
>>Quoting Earnie Boyd:
>>
>>>Did you read the part that said to try cygwin.com/snapshots for a fix?
>>
>>Ok - my bad - snapshot works well for CTRL+C.
>>
>>Seems like CTRL+Z only works for selected cygwin native processes.  If
>>this is wrong, please let me know.
>
>I believe that non-native Cygwin processes interpret Ctrl-Z to mean end
>of data.

Yep.

cgf