* Re: Re: Emacs 24 can't find org library
@ 2012-10-21 19:56 Kete Foy
From: Kete Foy @ 2012-10-21 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Ken,
Thanks for your reply on May 31 (URL at bottom), to reproduce the issue, start
an org file by naming it anything.org. Then, try to export it with the
following keybinding: C-c C-e. I had this same problem in Debian, and the
Freenode #emacs channel helped me figure out it was due to the old version of
Org-mode. 7.9.1 fixes this problem, but Debian ships Emacs with 7.8.*. To see
the Org-mode version, please type M-x org-version RET. If you could package
the new Org-mode version of 7.9.2 like Debian does, I think it would fix this
problem, and I would appreciate it. 7.8 probably can't do other org commands
like a bug report either (M-x org-submit-bug-report RET).

* Re: Emacs 24 can't find org library
@ 2012-10-22  2:23 ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2012-10-22  2:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 10/21/2012 3:56 PM, Kete Foy wrote:
> Ken,
> Thanks for your reply on May 31 (URL at bottom), to reproduce the issue, start
> an org file by naming it anything.org. Then, try to export it with the
> following keybinding: C-c C-e. I had this same problem in Debian, and the

It appears to work for me.  I visited an empty file called anything.org,
and I typed C-c C-e.  This gave me a list of choices of format for the
export.  I didn't take it any further.

As I said in my first reply, I don't use Org mode, so maybe I'm missing
something.  If so, please give me *detailed* instructions as to what to
do.  Then tell me what happens when you do it and what you think should
happen.

> Freenode #emacs channel helped me figure out it was due to the old version of
> Org-mode. 7.9.1 fixes this problem, but Debian ships Emacs with 7.8.*. To see
> the Org-mode version, please type M-x org-version RET. If you could package
> the new Org-mode version of 7.9.2 like Debian does, I think it would fix this

I don't know what Debian does, but my Cygwin emacs packages include
whatever version emacs ships.  I'm not interested in packaging a
different version of Org-mode and hoping it works with the current emacs.

> problem, and I would appreciate it. 7.8 probably can't do other org commands
> like a bug report either (M-x org-submit-bug-report RET).

Again, this appears to work for me, so you'll need to give details if
you're having a problem with it.  And please follow the
problem-reporting guidelines as given here:

   http://cygwin.com/problems.html

Ken

* Re: Emacs 24 can't find org library
@ 2012-10-22  2:26   ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2012-10-22  2:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 10/21/2012 10:23 PM, Ken Brown wrote:
> On 10/21/2012 3:56 PM, Kete Foy wrote:
>> Ken,
>> Thanks for your reply on May 31 (URL at bottom), to reproduce the
>> issue, start
>> an org file by naming it anything.org. Then, try to export it with the
>> following keybinding: C-c C-e. I had this same problem in Debian, and the
>
> It appears to work for me.  I visited an empty file called anything.org,
> and I typed C-c C-e.  This gave me a list of choices of format for the
> export.  I didn't take it any further.
>
> As I said in my first reply, I don't use Org mode, so maybe I'm missing
> something.  If so, please give me *detailed* instructions as to what to
> do.  Then tell me what happens when you do it and what you think should
> happen.
>
>> Freenode #emacs channel helped me figure out it was due to the old
>> version of
>> Org-mode. 7.9.1 fixes this problem, but Debian ships Emacs with 7.8.*.
>> To see
>> the Org-mode version, please type M-x org-version RET. If you could
>> package
>> the new Org-mode version of 7.9.2 like Debian does, I think it would
>> fix this
>
> I don't know what Debian does, but my Cygwin emacs packages include
> whatever version emacs ships.  I'm not interested in packaging a
> different version of Org-mode and hoping it works with the current emacs.
>
>> problem, and I would appreciate it. 7.8 probably can't do other org
>> commands
>> like a bug report either (M-x org-submit-bug-report RET).
>
> Again, this appears to work for me, so you'll need to give details if
> you're having a problem with it.  And please follow the
> problem-reporting guidelines as given here:
>
>    http://cygwin.com/problems.html
>
> Ken

By the way, do you have the emacs-el package installed?  This provides
the elisp sources for the emacs libraries.  I recall an emacs bug report
indicating that these are needed for some of the Org-mode commands.

* Re: Emacs 24 can't find org library
@ 2012-10-22 17:03 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2012-10-22 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Kete Foy writes:
> If you could package the new Org-mode version of 7.9.2 like Debian
> does, I think it would fix this problem, and I would appreciate it.

Ken packages Emacs releases, including whatever version of Org that
comes with it.  Debian does exactly the same, btw (Sebastien Delafond
provides an Org-mode package for Debian, but 7.9.2 is certainly not part
of the distribution yet).

If you want to run the latest Org-mode, I suggest you install it via the
package manager, details on how to do that are here:

http://orgmode.org/elpa.html

The above is directly from the development branch, if you'd rather use
the latest release version plus bugfixes, use the package at

http://elpa.gnu.org/

instead (the latter requires no extra configuration with Emacs 24).

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: Emacs 24 can't find org library
@ 2012-10-22 21:42   ` Kete Foy
From: Kete Foy @ 2012-10-22 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Monday, October 22, 2012 01:02:57 PM Achim Gratz wrote:
> Kete Foy writes:
> > If you could package the new Org-mode version of 7.9.2 like Debian
> > does, I think it would fix this problem, and I would appreciate it.
>
> Ken packages Emacs releases, including whatever version of Org that
> comes with it.  Debian does exactly the same, btw (Sebastien Delafond
> provides an Org-mode package for Debian, but 7.9.2 is certainly not part
> of the distribution yet).
>
> If you want to run the latest Org-mode, I suggest you install it via the
> package manager, details on how to do that are here:
>
> http://orgmode.org/elpa.html
>
> The above is directly from the development branch, if you'd rather use
> the latest release version plus bugfixes, use the package at
>
> http://elpa.gnu.org/
>
> instead (the latter requires no extra configuration with Emacs 24).
>

> Regards,
> Achim.
Thanks, I will try those if necessary. I imagine it will be necessary if Emacs
ships with an old (7.8) version of Org-mode. That's why it doesn't make sense
that Ken had success with exporting an org file, but I will test with 'emacs -
Q'.

I was too lazy to clarify that Debian provides 7.9.1, but the important thing
is that 7.9 is available and provides the library that Emacs lacks. That's all
I'm using; I have no need for the latest point release. I'm just saying, if
someone packaged it, now, it would be 7.9.2, but I could have left off the '2'
to avoid being corrected.

* Re: Emacs 24 can't find org library
@ 2012-10-23 13:12     ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2012-10-23 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 10/22/2012 5:42 PM, Kete Foy wrote:
> Thanks, I will try those if necessary. I imagine it will be necessary if Emacs
> ships with an old (7.8) version of Org-mode. That's why it doesn't make sense
> that Ken had success with exporting an org file

I think that indicates that your problems don't have anything to do with
the Org-mode version.

> I was too lazy to clarify that Debian provides 7.9.1, but the important thing
> is that 7.9 is available and provides the library that Emacs lacks. That's all

What library is it that you think Emacs lacks?  Did you try installing
emacs-el as I suggested in one of my messages of October 21?

Ken

* Re: Emacs 24 can't find org library
@ 2012-10-23 13:20       ` Kete Foy
From: Kete Foy @ 2012-10-23 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tuesday, October 23, 2012 09:12:48 AM Ken Brown wrote:
> Did you try installing
> emacs-el as I suggested in one of my messages of October 21?

Not yet, but I will try that first when I get back to the Windows computer.

* Re: Emacs 24 can't find org library
@ 2012-10-26 16:23       ` Kenneth W Foy, Jr
From: Kenneth W Foy, Jr @ 2012-10-26 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, 23 Oct 2012 09:12:48 -0400, Ken Brown wrote:
> On 10/22/2012 5:42 PM, Kete Foy wrote:
>> Thanks, I will try those if necessary. I imagine it will be
>> necessary if Emacs
>> ships with an old (7.8) version of Org-mode. That's why it doesn't
>> make sense
>> that Ken had success with exporting an org file
>
> I think that indicates that your problems don't have anything to do
> with the Org-mode version.
>
>> I was too lazy to clarify that Debian provides 7.9.1, but the
>> important thing
>> is that 7.9 is available and provides the library that Emacs lacks.
>> That's all
>
> What library is it that you think Emacs lacks?  Did you try
> installing emacs-el as I suggested in one of my messages of October
> 21?

Thanks, Ken, I just exported an org file after installing emacs-el. I
appreciate your patience.
--
Regards,
Kenneth W Foy, Jr