To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: offline cygwin install question
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 22:05:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 04:47:42PM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 04:17:05PM -0400, LMH wrote:
>>> I don't see why.  If the directory is duplicated precisely I don't see
>>> how it could matter.
>>
>>What I was referring to here was to just copy the cygwin local package
>>directory that contains setup.exe and the http% mirror directories,
>
>Yes, I knew what you meant.
>
>I read your description of the problem but I can't offer any explanation
>for it.
>
>>Regarding this set of instructions,
>>http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2013-06/msg00657.html
>>
>>they seem to be a bit more involved than is necessary. My cygwin install
>>directory is less than 1GB, so what is the need to use tar? I believe
>>that when I last re-installed my current OS, I just copied my cygwin
>>folder to a backup drive and then copied it back to C: after my
>>re-install. Is there some reason why that is a bad idea?
>
>Using tar rather than a Windows utility will make sure that things like
>symlinks are preserved.  And, a tar file will take up less space and be
>quicker to create than duplicated directory structure.

I just saw a comment from Marco in the spam blocker (he sent html email)
which notes:

1) That /cygdrive should be avoided in the tar command.

He's right.  --one-file-system should be added to the tar file creation that
should avoid trying to recurse into /cygdrive, /proc, or /dev.

2) That the USB drive should be formatted as NTFS.

That shouldn't be necessary if you're just using tar and it is another
reason for using tar rather than copying files directory.

FYI.

cgf