* emacs problem
@ 2013-07-10 19:07 J. David Boyd
From: J. David Boyd @ 2013-07-10 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I'm starting to see this error quite a bit in the terminal window I started
emacs from:

0 [main] emacs-X11 19400 C:\tools\cygwin\bin\emacs-X11.exe: *** fatal error in
forked process - failed to create new win32 semaphore, Win32 error 87

It seems to take an indeterminate amount of time before it starts happening,
and it _might_ be related to running Gnus, but once it starts, it seems that
almost everything I do in emacs outputs another line like above to the
terminal window.

Any idea how to debug this?

I'm using emacs version "GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (i686-pc-cygwin, GTK+ Version 3.6.4)
 of 2013-03-11 on fiona"

TIA,

Dave

* Re: emacs problem
@ 2013-07-10 19:14 ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2013-07-10 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 7/10/2013 2:07 PM, J. David Boyd wrote:

> I'm starting to see this error quite a bit in the terminal window I started
> emacs from:
>
> 0 [main] emacs-X11 19400 C:\tools\cygwin\bin\emacs-X11.exe: *** fatal error in
> forked process - failed to create new win32 semaphore, Win32 error 87

Have you tried rebaseall
(http://cygwin.com/faq.html#faq.using.fixing-fork-failures)?  This isn't
the typical error message you see from rebase problems, but it can't
hurt to try.  If that doesn't help, maybe you could test the build I
mentioned at

Ken

* Re: emacs problem
@ 2013-07-10 19:19   ` J. David Boyd
From: J. David Boyd @ 2013-07-10 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Ken Brown <kbrown@cornell.edu> writes:

> On 7/10/2013 2:07 PM, J. David Boyd wrote:
>>
>> I'm starting to see this error quite a bit in the terminal window I started
>> emacs from:
>>
>> 0 [main] emacs-X11 19400 C:\tools\cygwin\bin\emacs-X11.exe: *** fatal error in
>> forked process - failed to create new win32 semaphore, Win32 error 87
>
> Have you tried rebaseall
> (http://cygwin.com/faq.html#faq.using.fixing-fork-failures)?  This
> isn't the typical error message you see from rebase problems, but it
> can't hurt to try.  If that doesn't help, maybe you could test the
> build I mentioned at
>
>   http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2013-07/msg00062.html
>
> Ken

Yes, the first thing I tried was rebaseall, but that also gives (in my
history) the message about not being able to fork a new process.

I'll get your rebuilt verison, and see what happens.  It's worth a shot.

Thanks,

Dave

* Re: emacs problem
@ 2013-07-10 20:55     ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2013-07-10 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 7/10/2013 3:07 PM, J. David Boyd wrote:
> Ken Brown <kbrown@cornell.edu> writes:
>
>> On 7/10/2013 2:07 PM, J. David Boyd wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm starting to see this error quite a bit in the terminal window I started
>>> emacs from:
>>>
>>> 0 [main] emacs-X11 19400 C:\tools\cygwin\bin\emacs-X11.exe: *** fatal error in
>>> forked process - failed to create new win32 semaphore, Win32 error 87
>>
>> Have you tried rebaseall
>> (http://cygwin.com/faq.html#faq.using.fixing-fork-failures)?  This
>> isn't the typical error message you see from rebase problems, but it
>> can't hurt to try.  If that doesn't help, maybe you could test the
>> build I mentioned at
>>
>>    http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2013-07/msg00062.html
>>
>> Ken
>
> Yes, the first thing I tried was rebaseall, but that also gives (in my
> history) the message about not being able to fork a new process.

Are you saying you get a fork error when you run rebaseall?  If so, I
think you need to fix that before you can hope to avoid fork errors in
emacs.  Have you looked for BLODA?  Other than that, I don't know what
to suggest (except that you should send cygcheck output when you write
again).

Ken

* Re: emacs problem
@ 2013-07-10 20:59       ` J. David Boyd
From: J. David Boyd @ 2013-07-10 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Ken Brown <kbrown@cornell.edu> writes:

> On 7/10/2013 3:07 PM, J. David Boyd wrote:
>> Ken Brown <kbrown@cornell.edu> writes:

>>> Have you tried rebaseall
>>> (http://cygwin.com/faq.html#faq.using.fixing-fork-failures)?  This
>>> isn't the typical error message you see from rebase problems, but it
>>> can't hurt to try.  If that doesn't help, maybe you could test the
>>> build I mentioned at
>>>
>>>    http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2013-07/msg00062.html
>>>
>>> Ken
>>
>> Yes, the first thing I tried was rebaseall, but that also gives (in my
>> history) the message about not being able to fork a new process.
>
> Are you saying you get a fork error when you run rebaseall?  If so, I
> think you need to fix that before you can hope to avoid fork errors in
> emacs.  Have you looked for BLODA?  Other than that, I don't know what
> to suggest (except that you should send cygcheck output when you write
> again).
>
> Ken

Wow, sorry, I said that entirely wrong.  I meant that in my recollection, when
I need to rebase, I get messages about "can't create fork".  But that's not
what I said at all.

So this is an entirely different error, but I still rebased, first thing, just
as a SWAG.

I got the emacs from your site, thanks, and I'll keep an eye on it and see how
it goes.

I'll keep you posted.

Dave

* Re: emacs problem
@ 2013-07-10 21:10   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2013-07-10 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 02:54:59PM -0400, Ken Brown wrote:
>On 7/10/2013 2:07 PM, J. David Boyd wrote:
>>
>> I'm starting to see this error quite a bit in the terminal window I started
>> emacs from:
>>
>> 0 [main] emacs-X11 19400 C:\tools\cygwin\bin\emacs-X11.exe: *** fatal error in
>> forked process - failed to create new win32 semaphore, Win32 error 87
>
>Have you tried rebaseall
>(http://cygwin.com/faq.html#faq.using.fixing-fork-failures)?  This isn't
>the typical error message you see from rebase problems, but it can't
>hurt to try.  If that doesn't help, maybe you could test the build I
>mentioned at

That doesn't look like the standard fork problem, Ken.  The error comes
from semaphore::_fixup_after_fork:

  void
  semaphore::_fixup_after_fork ()
  {
    if (shared == PTHREAD_PROCESS_PRIVATE)
      {
	pthread_printf ("sem %p", this);
	/* FIXME: duplicate code here and in the constructor. */
	win32_obj_id = ::CreateSemaphore (&sec_none_nih, currentvalue,
						INT32_MAX, NULL);
	if (!win32_obj_id)
	  api_fatal ("failed to create new win32 semaphore, %E");

Error code 87 is ERROR_INVALID_PARAMETER.  The only two things that I
can see which would cause that problem are "sec_non_nih" and
currentvalue.

I'll change the error to report on currentvalue.  I assume that
currentvalue must be zero for some reason here and that is what is
causing the problem but it would be nice to know for sure.

cgf

* Re: emacs problem
@ 2013-07-10 22:13     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2013-07-10 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 04:55:38PM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 02:54:59PM -0400, Ken Brown wrote:
>>On 7/10/2013 2:07 PM, J. David Boyd wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm starting to see this error quite a bit in the terminal window I started
>>> emacs from:
>>>
>>> 0 [main] emacs-X11 19400 C:\tools\cygwin\bin\emacs-X11.exe: *** fatal error in
>>> forked process - failed to create new win32 semaphore, Win32 error 87
>>
>>Have you tried rebaseall
>>(http://cygwin.com/faq.html#faq.using.fixing-fork-failures)?  This isn't
>>the typical error message you see from rebase problems, but it can't
>>hurt to try.  If that doesn't help, maybe you could test the build I
>>mentioned at
>
>That doesn't look like the standard fork problem, Ken.  The error comes
>from semaphore::_fixup_after_fork:
>Error code 87 is ERROR_INVALID_PARAMETER.  The only two things that I
>can see which would cause that problem are "sec_non_nih" and
>currentvalue.
>
>I'll change the error to report on currentvalue.  I assume that
>currentvalue must be zero for some reason here and that is what is
>causing the problem but it would be nice to know for sure.

The current snapshot has this change and a shot-in-the-dark attempt to
fix the reported problem as well.

cgf

* Re: emacs problem
@ 2013-07-10 22:28       ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2013-07-10 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 04:55:38PM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:

>>> Have you tried rebaseall
>>> (http://cygwin.com/faq.html#faq.using.fixing-fork-failures)?  This isn't
>>> the typical error message you see from rebase problems, but it can't
>>> hurt to try.  If that doesn't help, maybe you could test the build I
>>> mentioned at
>>
>> That doesn't look like the standard fork problem, Ken.  The error comes
>>from semaphore::_fixup_after_fork:
>> Error code 87 is ERROR_INVALID_PARAMETER.  The only two things that I
>> can see which would cause that problem are "sec_non_nih" and
>> currentvalue.
>>
>> I'll change the error to report on currentvalue.  I assume that
>> currentvalue must be zero for some reason here and that is what is
>> causing the problem but it would be nice to know for sure.
>
> The current snapshot has this change and a shot-in-the-dark attempt to
> fix the reported problem as well.

Thanks.  It's also possible that this isn't a Cygwin problem.  There are
known race conditions between emacs-24.3 and glib, which have been fixed
in the newer version of emacs that I asked Dave to test.

Dave, instead of trying the new emacs right away, would you be willing
to install the cygwin snapshot and see if that fixes the problem?  If
not, could you report the error message and then try the new emacs?

Thanks.

Ken

* Re: emacs problem
@ 2013-07-10 23:18         ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2013-07-10 23:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 05:54:55PM -0400, Ken Brown wrote:
>On 7/10/2013 5:10 PM, Christopher Faylor wrote:

>>> That doesn't look like the standard fork problem, Ken.  The error comes
>>>from semaphore::_fixup_after_fork:
>>> Error code 87 is ERROR_INVALID_PARAMETER.  The only two things that I
>>> can see which would cause that problem are "sec_non_nih" and
>>> currentvalue.
>>>
>>> I'll change the error to report on currentvalue.  I assume that
>>> currentvalue must be zero for some reason here and that is what is
>>> causing the problem but it would be nice to know for sure.
>>
>> The current snapshot has this change and a shot-in-the-dark attempt to
>> fix the reported problem as well.
>
>Thanks.  It's also possible that this isn't a Cygwin problem.  There are
>known race conditions between emacs-24.3 and glib, which have been fixed
>in the newer version of emacs that I asked Dave to test.

Given the point at which the problem occurs, I don't see how it could be
anything but a Cygwin problem.  It's in the fork code before anything
user-based should be kicked off.

cgf

* Re: emacs problem
@ 2013-07-11 15:07         ` J. David Boyd
From: J. David Boyd @ 2013-07-11 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Ken Brown <kbrown@cornell.edu> writes:

> On 7/10/2013 5:10 PM, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>
> Thanks.  It's also possible that this isn't a Cygwin problem.  There
> are known race conditions between emacs-24.3 and glib, which have been
> fixed in the newer version of emacs that I asked Dave to test.
>
> Dave, instead of trying the new emacs right away, would you be willing
> to install the cygwin snapshot and see if that fixes the problem?  If
> not, could you report the error message and then try the new emacs?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Ken

THanks, sure, no problem.  Where do I get the latest snapshot from?  Setup and
all updates, or the EXP setting?

Dave

* Re: emacs problem
@ 2013-07-11 15:23           ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2013-07-11 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Jul 11 09:34, J. David Boyd wrote:
> Ken Brown <kbrown@cornell.edu> writes:
>
> > On 7/10/2013 5:10 PM, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> >
> > Thanks.  It's also possible that this isn't a Cygwin problem.  There
> > are known race conditions between emacs-24.3 and glib, which have been
> > fixed in the newer version of emacs that I asked Dave to test.
> >
> > Dave, instead of trying the new emacs right away, would you be willing
> > to install the cygwin snapshot and see if that fixes the problem?  If
> > not, could you report the error message and then try the new emacs?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Ken
>
> THanks, sure, no problem.  Where do I get the latest snapshot from?  Setup and
> all updates, or the EXP setting?

http://cygwin.com/snapshots/

Corinna

Red Hat

* Re: emacs problem
@ 2013-07-23 15:13             ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2013-07-23 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> On Jul 11 09:34, J. David Boyd wrote:
>> Ken Brown <kbrown@cornell.edu> writes:
>>
>>> On 7/10/2013 5:10 PM, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks.  It's also possible that this isn't a Cygwin problem.  There
>>> are known race conditions between emacs-24.3 and glib, which have been
>>> fixed in the newer version of emacs that I asked Dave to test.
>>>
>>> Dave, instead of trying the new emacs right away, would you be willing
>>> to install the cygwin snapshot and see if that fixes the problem?  If
>>> not, could you report the error message and then try the new emacs?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> Ken
>>
>> THanks, sure, no problem.  Where do I get the latest snapshot from?  Setup and
>> all updates, or the EXP setting?
>
> http://cygwin.com/snapshots/

Dave,

This should be fixed now in the latest snapshot (2013-07-23).  See

Ken

* Re: emacs problem
@ 2013-07-23 19:23               ` J. David Boyd
From: J. David Boyd @ 2013-07-23 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Ken Brown <kbrown@cornell.edu> writes:

>>> THanks, sure, no problem.  Where do I get the latest snapshot from?  Setup and
>>> all updates, or the EXP setting?
>>
>> http://cygwin.com/snapshots/
>
> Dave,
>
> This should be fixed now in the latest snapshot (2013-07-23).  See
>
>   http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2013-07/msg00481.html
>
> Ken

Great, thanks.  I'll get it right away and try it out for a day or so, then
report back here.

Dave

* Re: emacs problem
@ 2013-07-23 19:54                 ` J. David Boyd
From: J. David Boyd @ 2013-07-23 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

david@adboyd.com (J. David Boyd) writes:

> Ken Brown <kbrown@cornell.edu> writes:
>
>>> http://cygwin.com/snapshots/
>>
>> Dave,
>>
>> This should be fixed now in the latest snapshot (2013-07-23).  See
>>
>>   http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2013-07/msg00481.html
>>
>> Ken
>
> Great, thanks.  I'll get it right away and try it out for a day or so, then
> report back here.
>
> Dave

I'm running it now, so far so good.  I'll try everything I can think of, which
is mostly just using org mode to track my work, and gnus for checking
newsgroups.  Usually takes no more than 1 hour or so for it to break.

Thanks,

Dave

* Re: emacs problem
@ 2013-07-24 13:22                   ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2013-07-24 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Jul 23 15:44, J. David Boyd wrote:
> david@adboyd.com (J. David Boyd) writes:

> >> Dave,
> >>
> >> This should be fixed now in the latest snapshot (2013-07-23).  See
> >>
> >>   http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2013-07/msg00481.html
> >>
> >> Ken
> >
> > Great, thanks.  I'll get it right away and try it out for a day or so, then
> > report back here.
> >
> > Dave
>
> I'm running it now, so far so good.  I'll try everything I can think of, which
> is mostly just using org mode to track my work, and gnus for checking
> newsgroups.  Usually takes no more than 1 hour or so for it to break.

Thanks for your feedback.

Corinna

Red Hat

* RE: Emacs Problem
@ 2003-01-16 12:45 Dieter Meinert
From: Dieter Meinert @ 2003-01-16 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Randall R Schulz, cygwin

Will this go into the FAQ ?

For me the hint solved the problem (cygwin window running
tcsh: setenv CYGWIN tty; emacs [C-X C-C];)

Regards, Dieter

***********
 * Dr. Dieter Meinert
           *
 * c/o H. Rosen Engineering GmbH    Phone +49-591-9136-493
           *
 * Am Seitenkanal 8                 Fax +49-591-9136-121
           *
 * D-49811 Lingen (Ems)             Email
dmeinert@roseninspection.net *
 * Germany
           *

***********

From: David Starks-Browning @ 2003-01-16 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scott Purcell; +Cc: cygwin

Scott,

You don't say anything about:

 - whether you mean emacs to an X display or "emacs -nw" aka "emacs-nox"
 - assuming the latter, whether in the standard Cygwin command window,
   or rxvt.

I don't think you'll have this problem in rxvt (I don't).  If a
standard command window, does Randall's advice fix the problem?  If so
I'll add something to the FAQ.

Thanks,
David
(Cygwin FAQ maintainer)

On Wednesday 15 Jan 03, Randall R Schulz writes:

> This is reaching the proportions of a FAQ: You need to include "tty" in
> your CYGWIN environment variable, lest the Cygwin tty driver commandeer the
> CTRL-C and send a SIGINT when it's typed.
>
> Randall Schulz

* Re: Emacs Problem
@ 2003-01-16  0:19   ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2003-01-16  0:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc); +Cc: cygwin

On Wed, 15 Jan 2003, Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) wrote:

> At 03:39 PM 1/15/2003, Scott Purcell wrote:
> >Hello,
> >I got ambitious during lunch and installed emacs. At the cmd line I type in emacs and all works great.
> >I got one problem though, it will not quit.
>
> Yeah, so?  What's the problem?  Emacs is the end-all of software, right?  It's
> supposed to do everything except make your coffee in the morning, no?  So
> *why* would you *ever* want to quit from it? ;-) ;-) ;-)
>
> No flames or editor-wars, please! :-)

As one of my friends would say:
- It doesn't make my coffee in the morning? :-o Oh, no!  What have I been
  drinking all these years?
And, as my other friend would say:
- I wish I could just boot emacs as an operating system...
	Igor
P.S. Personally, I use vim :q  No disrespect for Emacs intended.

--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

Oh, boy, virtual memory! Now I'm gonna make myself a really *big* RAMdisk!
  -- /usr/games/fortune

* Re: Emacs Problem
@ 2003-01-15 23:49   ` Randall R Schulz
From: Randall R Schulz @ 2003-01-15 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Frank, Scott,

This is more likely a Cygwin options problem than it is non-standard key
bindings in Emacs.

This is reaching the proportions of a FAQ: You need to include "tty" in
your CYGWIN environment variable, lest the Cygwin tty driver commandeer the
CTRL-C and send a SIGINT when it's typed.

Randall Schulz

At 13:25 2003-01-15, Frank Schmitt wrote:
>"Scott Purcell" <spurcell@vertisinc.com> writes:
>
> > I run a standalone emacs on my box and when I quit I hit the keys [
> > ctrl x c ] and it quits the app.  But in the one that runs in cygwin,
> > it does not.
>
>It's "control+c control+x" in Emacs language "C-x C-c". If this doesn't
>work try "Meta+x save-buffers-kill-emacs RETURN" (Meta is usually the
>Alt key under Cygwin, in Emacs terminology "M-x save-buffers-kill-emacs
>RET").
>
>If the C-x C-c doesn't work, this keys are probably bound in some way by
>your terminal, over here using rxvt as terminal and tcsh as shell it
>works as expected.

* Re: Emacs Problem
@ 2003-01-15 22:18 ` Frank Schmitt
From: Frank Schmitt @ 2003-01-15 22:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

"Scott Purcell" <spurcell@vertisinc.com> writes:

> I run a standalone emacs on my box and when I quit I hit the keys [
> ctrl x c ] and it quits the app.  But in the one that runs in cygwin,
> it does not.

It's "control+c control+x" in Emacs language "C-x C-c". If this doesn't
work try "Meta+x save-buffers-kill-emacs RETURN" (Meta is usually the
Alt key under Cygwin, in Emacs terminology "M-x save-buffers-kill-emacs
RET").

If the C-x C-c doesn't work, this keys are probably bound in some way by
your terminal, over here using rxvt as terminal and tcsh as shell it
works as expected.

--
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

* Re: Emacs Problem
       [not found] <34385CBC5E8E664EB0007814636AB36A677AA2@exchange1.dimension s.com>
@ 2003-01-15 22:13 ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2003-01-15 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scott Purcell, cygwin

At 03:39 PM 1/15/2003, Scott Purcell wrote:
>Hello,
>I got ambitious during lunch and installed emacs. At the cmd line I type in emacs and all works great.
>
>I got one problem though, it will not quit.

Yeah, so?  What's the problem?  Emacs is the end-all of software, right?  It's
supposed to do everything except make your coffee in the morning, no?  So
*why* would you *ever* want to quit from it? ;-) ;-) ;-)

No flames or editor-wars, please! :-)

>I run a standalone emacs on my box and when I quit I hit the keys [ ctrl x c ] and it quits the app.
>But in the one that runs in cygwin, it does not.
>
>How do I get cygwin to quit emacs and return to a cmd prompt?

You're best off re-posting this after reading www.cygwin.com/bugs.html.  The
obvious question that comes to mind for me is - are you running the Cygwin
or Win32 version of Emacs?  I can't tell (and neither can anyone else) from
the information you've sent so far.  That's why we have a recommended
procedure for posting problem reports.  Take a look at 'em.

* Emacs Problem
@ 2003-01-15 22:04 Scott Purcell
From: Scott Purcell @ 2003-01-15 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello,
I got ambitious during lunch and installed emacs. At the cmd line I type in emacs and all works great.

I got one problem though, it will not quit.

I run a standalone emacs on my box and when I quit I hit the keys [ ctrl x c ] and it quits the app.
But in the one that runs in cygwin, it does not.

How do I get cygwin to quit emacs and return to a cmd prompt?

Thanks,
Scott

* Re: emacs problem..
@ 2002-10-15 13:40 ` Joe Buehler
From: Joe Buehler @ 2002-10-15 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Vincent Yau wrote:

> Hi I just installed the latest Cygwin today
> and I am running it on a Windows 2000 Service Pack 2 box.
> I wanted to fire up emacs but it spits out this error message:
>
>    emacs.exe -- Entry point not found
>    The procedure entry point TIFFClientOpen could not be
>    located in the dynamic link library cygtiff3.dll.
>
> Wonder if I am doing anything wrong?  I have tried reinstalling
> and still does not work.  Any tip/pointer much appreciated.

Sounds like a version problem.  Which version of cygtiff3.dll do
you have installed?  Look in the /etc/setup/installed.db file
for the tiff package.

It was built against tiff-3.5.7-1.

Joe Buehler

* emacs problem..