* problem with cvs binary?
@ 2013-07-16  6:03 Mark Levedahl
From: Mark Levedahl @ 2013-07-16  6:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

The currently provided cvs executable does not work correctly, simple
test case is:

~>export CVSROOT=/tmp/cvsroot
~>cvs init
~>cvs co -d /tmp/workdir .
cvs [checkout aborted]: cannot make directory : No such file or directory

~>cygcheck -c cvs
Cygwin Package Information
Package              Version        Status
cvs                  1.12.13-10     OK

~>uname -a
CYGWIN_NT-5.1 virt-winxp 1.7.20(0.266/5/3) 2013-06-07 11:11 i686 Cygwin

The above should checkout the empty project to /tmp/workdir, but does
not work with the binary provided via setup.exe. This does work
correctly with a) cvs-1.12.13 rebuilt from sources, and b) with cvs v
1.11.22-1 downloaded from setup.exe. The expected result:

~>cygcheck -c cvs
Cygwin Package Information
Package              Version        Status
cvs                  1.11.22-1      OK
~>cvs co -d /tmp/work .
cvs checkout: Updating /tmp/work
cvs checkout: Updating /tmp/work/CVSROOT
U /tmp/work/CVSROOT/checkoutlist
U /tmp/work/CVSROOT/commitinfo
U /tmp/work/CVSROOT/config
U /tmp/work/CVSROOT/cvswrappers
U /tmp/work/CVSROOT/editinfo
U /tmp/work/CVSROOT/loginfo
U /tmp/work/CVSROOT/modules
U /tmp/work/CVSROOT/notify
U /tmp/work/CVSROOT/rcsinfo
U /tmp/work/CVSROOT/taginfo
U /tmp/work/CVSROOT/verifymsg

Mark

* Re: problem with cvs binary?
@ 2013-07-16 13:30 ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2013-07-16 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 7/15/2013 11:21 PM, Mark Levedahl wrote:
> The currently provided cvs executable does not work correctly, simple
> test case is:
>
> ~>export CVSROOT=/tmp/cvsroot
> ~>cvs init
> ~>cvs co -d /tmp/workdir .
> cvs [checkout aborted]: cannot make directory : No such file or directory
>
> ~>cygcheck -c cvs
> Cygwin Package Information
> Package              Version        Status
> cvs                  1.12.13-10     OK
>
> ~>uname -a
> CYGWIN_NT-5.1 virt-winxp 1.7.20(0.266/5/3) 2013-06-07 11:11 i686 Cygwin
>
> The above should checkout the empty project to /tmp/workdir, but does
> not work with the binary provided via setup.exe. This does work
> correctly with a) cvs-1.12.13 rebuilt from sources, and b) with cvs v
> 1.11.22-1 downloaded from setup.exe. The expected result:

Thanks for the report. Rebuilding cvs against current 32bit
w32api/cygwin is on my list, as well updating the 64bit package.
However, it comes after (a) mingw-gcc cross compiler & friends, (b)
automake-X.Y, and (c) libtool. :-(

--
Chuck

* Re: problem with cvs binary?
@ 2013-07-16 15:01   ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2013-07-16 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Jul 16 09:07, Charles Wilson wrote:
> On 7/15/2013 11:21 PM, Mark Levedahl wrote:
> >The currently provided cvs executable does not work correctly, simple
> >test case is:
> >
> >~>export CVSROOT=/tmp/cvsroot
> >~>cvs init
> >~>cvs co -d /tmp/workdir .
> >cvs [checkout aborted]: cannot make directory : No such file or directory
> >
> >~>cygcheck -c cvs
> >Cygwin Package Information
> >Package              Version        Status
> >cvs                  1.12.13-10     OK
> >
> >~>uname -a
> >CYGWIN_NT-5.1 virt-winxp 1.7.20(0.266/5/3) 2013-06-07 11:11 i686 Cygwin
> >
> >The above should checkout the empty project to /tmp/workdir, but does
> >not work with the binary provided via setup.exe. This does work
> >correctly with a) cvs-1.12.13 rebuilt from sources, and b) with cvs v
> >1.11.22-1 downloaded from setup.exe. The expected result:
>
> Thanks for the report. Rebuilding cvs against current 32bit
> w32api/cygwin is on my list, as well updating the 64bit package.
> However, it comes after (a) mingw-gcc cross compiler & friends, (b)
> automake-X.Y, and (c) libtool. :-(

Are the mingw cross compilers still necessary, now that we have
modern mingw-w64 toolchains?  On Fedora they aren't shipped since
F17, which already came with mingw-w64 toolchains either.

Corinna

Red Hat

* mingw.org cross compiler [Was: problem with cvs binary?]
@ 2013-07-16 15:52     ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2013-07-16 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> Are the mingw cross compilers still necessary, now that we have
> modern mingw-w64 toolchains?  On Fedora they aren't shipped since
> F17, which already came with mingw-w64 toolchains either.

No, in the sense that you could use the mingw-w64 i686 toolchain to
generate 32bit "native" windows apps instead.

Yes, because the two toolchains are not mutually compatible (different
ABI, different exception model, different threading library, different
w32api/runtime library). If you are using a cygwin $host to develop,
specifically, mingw.org-distribution compatible apps/libs...then you
need the mingw.org cross compiler.

I don't know how many people that represents -- it might just be me and
Earnie -- but I'm not ready to declare mingw(.org)-gcc dead just yet.  I
at least want to update our current offering to something more current
than 4.5.x, AND it's necessary on i686 because recent gmp/mpfr/mpc
library updates have broken mingw-gcc.  If, after this update, we want
to declare EOL on mingw(.org)-gcc, we could discuss that on cygwin-apps.

--
Chuck

* Re: mingw.org cross compiler [Was: problem with cvs binary?]
@ 2013-07-16 17:05       ` Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2013-07-16 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 11:39 AM, Charles Wilson wrote:

>> Are the mingw cross compilers still necessary, now that we have
>> modern mingw-w64 toolchains?  On Fedora they aren't shipped since
>> F17, which already came with mingw-w64 toolchains either.
>

> No, in the sense that you could use the mingw-w64 i686 toolchain to generate
> 32bit "native" windows apps instead.
>
> Yes, because the two toolchains are not mutually compatible (different ABI,
> different exception model, different threading library, different
> w32api/runtime library). If you are using a cygwin $host to develop,
> specifically, mingw.org-distribution compatible apps/libs...then you need
> the mingw.org cross compiler.
>
> I don't know how many people that represents -- it might just be me and
> Earnie -- but I'm not ready to declare mingw(.org)-gcc dead just yet.  I at

I'm not actually using mingw-gcc on Cygwin and have no opinion for the offering.

> least want to update our current offering to something more current than
> 4.5.x, AND it's necessary on i686 because recent gmp/mpfr/mpc library
> updates have broken mingw-gcc.  If, after this update, we want to declare
> EOL on mingw(.org)-gcc, we could discuss that on cygwin-apps.

Can you specify what the issues are for gmp/mpfr/mpc?  I ask because
I'm attempting to build 2.8.1.

--
Earnie

* Re: mingw.org cross compiler [Was: problem with cvs binary?]
@ 2013-07-17  1:39         ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2013-07-17  1:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 7/16/2013 12:25 PM, Earnie Boyd wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 11:39 AM, Charles Wilson wrote:
>> least want to update our current offering to something more current than
>> 4.5.x, AND it's necessary on i686 because recent gmp/mpfr/mpc library
>> updates have broken mingw-gcc.  If, after this update, we want to declare
>> EOL on mingw(.org)-gcc, we could discuss that on cygwin-apps.
>
> Can you specify what the issues are for gmp/mpfr/mpc?  I ask because
> I'm attempting to build 2.8.1.

It's just that from what I can tell, cygmpc-1.dll is no longer available
from any package. So I want to rebuild the compiler to link against
cygmpc-3.dll.

http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2013-07/msg00029.html

--
Chuck