* Process command lines for Cygwin processes no longer viewable in Windows task manager as of Cygwin 1.7.21
@ 2013-07-25  6:55 Tom Honermann
From: Tom Honermann @ 2013-07-25  6:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

It seems that process command lines for Cygwin processes are no longer
viewable in Windows task manager, SysInternals Process Explorer, or
other similar tools.  I suspect, but have not verified, that this change
occurred with the Cygwin 1.7.21 release.  Process command lines do
appear as expected for older Cygwin releases (at least 1.7.9-1.  Yes, I
know that is ancient).

My suspicion that this started with 1.7.21 is based on Corinna's
comments in http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2013-07/msg00343.html and other
anecdotal evidence of new problems occurring as of that release.

I know of at least one other (non-Cygwin) product that is affected by
this issue because it relies on the ability to retrieve command lines
for Cygwin processes using the (fairly common) technique of querying the
Windows Process Environment Block (PEB) and Process Parameters block
that is populated when a process is started.  The process parameters
block includes the process command line and is populated based on the
command line supplied to CreateProcess() - which Corinna's comments
linked above suggest is now called without command line parameters.

Tom.

* Re: Process command lines for Cygwin processes no longer viewable in Windows task manager as of Cygwin 1.7.21
@ 2013-07-25  9:17 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2013-07-25  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Jul 24 22:38, Tom Honermann wrote:
> It seems that process command lines for Cygwin processes are no
> longer viewable in Windows task manager, SysInternals Process
> Explorer, or other similar tools.  I suspect, but have not verified,
> that this change occurred with the Cygwin 1.7.21 release.  Process
> command lines do appear as expected for older Cygwin releases (at
> least 1.7.9-1.  Yes, I know that is ancient).
>
> My suspicion that this started with 1.7.21 is based on Corinna's
> comments in http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2013-07/msg00343.html and
> other anecdotal evidence of new problems occurring as of that
> release.

This is by design now as described in the aforementioned posting.  If
you want to see the command line of a Cygwin application called by
another Cygwin application, see /proc/$pid/cmdline.

Corinna

Red Hat

* Re: Process command lines for Cygwin processes no longer viewable in Windows task manager as of Cygwin 1.7.21
@ 2013-07-25 14:04   ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2013-07-25 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On Jul 24 22:38, Tom Honermann wrote:
>> My suspicion that this started with 1.7.21 is based on Corinna's
>> comments in http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2013-07/msg00343.html and
>> other anecdotal evidence of new problems occurring as of that
>> release.
>
> This is by design now as described in the aforementioned posting.  If
> you want to see the command line of a Cygwin application called by
> another Cygwin application, see /proc/$pid/cmdline.

Would a patch to restore the previous operation based on a $CYGWIN
variable setting be acceptable?

--
Chuck

* Re: Process command lines for Cygwin processes no longer viewable in Windows task manager as of Cygwin 1.7.21
@ 2013-07-25 15:14     ` Tom Honermann
From: Tom Honermann @ 2013-07-25 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 07/25/2013 09:21 AM, Charles Wilson wrote:
>> On Jul 24 22:38, Tom Honermann wrote:
>>> My suspicion that this started with 1.7.21 is based on Corinna's
>>> comments in http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2013-07/msg00343.html and
>>> other anecdotal evidence of new problems occurring as of that
>>> release.
>>
>> This is by design now as described in the aforementioned posting.  If
>> you want to see the command line of a Cygwin application called by
>> another Cygwin application, see /proc/$pid/cmdline.
>
> Would a patch to restore the previous operation based on a $CYGWIN
> variable setting be acceptable?

I think this change should be reverted.

In my case, I need to be able to retrieve the command line for a Cygwin
process from a non-Cygwin process.  Reading /proc/$pid/cmdline is not an
option in that case.  I depend on the ability to, for example,
differentiate gcc processes that are running based on their command line
options.

Note that strace is currently broken as well.  Running it against a
'make' invocation:

$ strace make | grep "cmd line"
  2532  163533 [main] make 6688 child_info_spawn::worker: pid 6688,
prog_arg /usr/bin/g++, cmd line (null))
  2207  158021 [main] g++ 6688 child_info_spawn::worker: pid 2180,
prog_arg /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-cygwin/4.7.3/cc1plus.exe, cmd line (null))
  1292  680192 [main] g++ 6688 child_info_spawn::worker: pid 3604,
prog_arg
/usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-cygwin/4.7.3/../../../../i686-pc-cygwin/bin/as.exe,
cmd line (null))
  1274  989508 [main] g++ 6688 child_info_spawn::worker: pid 6176,
prog_arg /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-cygwin/4.7.3/collect2.exe, cmd line (null))
  2305  385952 [main] collect2 6176 child_info_spawn::worker: pid 6340,
prog_arg
/usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-cygwin/4.7.3/../../../../i686-pc-cygwin/bin/ld, cmd
line (null))

Note that "cmd line" is now (null) in all cases.

@ 2013-07-25 15:21       ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2013-07-25 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 10:19:16AM -0400, Tom Honermann wrote:
>On 07/25/2013 09:21 AM, Charles Wilson wrote:
>>>
>>> This is by design now as described in the aforementioned posting.  If
>>> you want to see the command line of a Cygwin application called by
>>> another Cygwin application, see /proc/$pid/cmdline.
>>
>> Would a patch to restore the previous operation based on a $CYGWIN
>> variable setting be acceptable?
>
>I think this change should be reverted.

You were relying on a bug in Cygwin.  Older versions of the DLL did not
provide the full command line.  It was only after the bug entered into
the source code that it did.  Not providing the windows command line is
an optimization for Cygwin programs.

>In my case, I need to be able to retrieve the command line for a Cygwin
>process from a non-Cygwin process.  Reading /proc/$pid/cmdline is not an
>option in that case.  I depend on the ability to, for example,
>differentiate gcc processes that are running based on their command line
>options.
>
>Note that strace is currently broken as well.  Running it against a
>'make' invocation:

It's not strace that's broken.  That's just a simple fix to the DLL.

cgf

* Re: Process command lines for Cygwin processes no longer viewable in Windows task manager as of Cygwin 1.7.21
@ 2013-07-25 15:44         ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2013-07-25 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 11:10:50AM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>It's not strace that's broken.  That's just a simple fix to the DLL.

Actually, nevermind.  It's not a bug.

cgf

* Re: Process command lines for Cygwin processes no longer viewable in Windows task manager as of Cygwin 1.7.21
@ 2013-07-25 16:04         ` Tom Honermann
From: Tom Honermann @ 2013-07-25 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 07/25/2013 11:10 AM, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 10:19:16AM -0400, Tom Honermann wrote:

>>> Would a patch to restore the previous operation based on a $CYGWIN
>>> variable setting be acceptable?
>>
>> I think this change should be reverted.
>
> You were relying on a bug in Cygwin.

Regardless if this behavior was intentional or not, the ability to
retrieve the process command line from non-Cygwin processes is crucial
for me.  Please work with me on this to come up with a solution.

> Older versions of the DLL did not
> provide the full command line.  It was only after the bug entered into
> the source code that it did.  Not providing the windows command line is
> an optimization for Cygwin programs.

As far as I can tell, the command line has been provided to
CreateProcess going back at least as far as the Cygwin 1.5.x releases.

Given the cost of starting a new process, it seems unlikely that
omitting the full command line offers much of a performance improvement.
  Was there something about the construction of the command line that
was particularly expensive?  Perhaps that could be optimized instead?

>> In my case, I need to be able to retrieve the command line for a Cygwin
>> process from a non-Cygwin process.  Reading /proc/$pid/cmdline is not an
>> option in that case.  I depend on the ability to, for example,
>> differentiate gcc processes that are running based on their command line
>> options.
>>
>> Note that strace is currently broken as well.  Running it against a
>> 'make' invocation:
>
> It's not strace that's broken.  That's just a simple fix to the DLL.

Ok, the user experience is that strace is not working as expected.

@ 2013-07-25 16:10           ` Tom Honermann
From: Tom Honermann @ 2013-07-25 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 07/25/2013 11:21 AM, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 11:10:50AM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>> It's not strace that's broken.  That's just a simple fix to the DLL.
>
> Actually, nevermind.  It's not a bug.

Could you elaborate?  Prior to 1.7.21, strace provided the command line.
  As of 1.7.21 it doesn't.  That looks like a regression to me.

@ 2013-07-25 17:47             ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2013-07-25 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 11:44:07AM -0400, Tom Honermann wrote:
>On 07/25/2013 11:21 AM, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>> On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 11:10:50AM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>> It's not strace that's broken.  That's just a simple fix to the DLL.
>>
>> Actually, nevermind.  It's not a bug.
>
>Could you elaborate?  Prior to 1.7.21, strace provided the command line.
>  As of 1.7.21 it doesn't.  That looks like a regression to me.

The output that you're looking at says "Here's the command line that is
being passed to CreateProcess".  Since there is now no command line the
strace output is correct.

cgf

* Re: Process command lines for Cygwin processes no longer viewable in Windows task manager as of Cygwin 1.7.21
@ 2013-07-25 18:16               ` Tom Honermann
From: Tom Honermann @ 2013-07-25 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 11:44:07AM -0400, Tom Honermann wrote:
>>>
>>> Actually, nevermind.  It's not a bug.
>>
>> Could you elaborate?  Prior to 1.7.21, strace provided the command line.
>>   As of 1.7.21 it doesn't.  That looks like a regression to me.
>
> The output that you're looking at says "Here's the command line that is
> being passed to CreateProcess".  Since there is now no command line the
> strace output is correct.

How does that make it not a regression?  The information used to be
provided, now it isn't.

 From a user's perspective, I don't care what the implementation is.
This *looks* broken.  Any user that relied on the information being
present (which is a reasonable expectation given that the tool used to
provide it and still attempts to) will consider this a regression.

I assert that expecting command lines for Cygwin processes to be
viewable in tools like Windows Task Manager and SysInternals Process
Explorer is a reasonable expectation - especially since they have been
present there for many releases - again, going back to at least the
1.5.x days.  This change may have been intentional, but from a user
perspective, it has broken behavior that any Windows user would
reasonably expect to be able to rely on.

@ 2013-07-25 18:16                 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2013-07-25 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 01:52:59PM -0400, Tom Honermann wrote:
>On 07/25/2013 01:18 PM, Christopher Faylor wrote:

>>> Could you elaborate?  Prior to 1.7.21, strace provided the command line.
>>>   As of 1.7.21 it doesn't.  That looks like a regression to me.
>>
>> The output that you're looking at says "Here's the command line that is
>> being passed to CreateProcess".  Since there is now no command line the
>> strace output is correct.
>
>How does that make it not a regression?  The information used to be
>provided, now it isn't.

You're reporting a problem "process command lines for Cygwin process no
longer viewable..." The problem occurs because a bug was fixed in cygwin
which erroneously caused those lines to be filled out.  The strace
output was previously reporting those lines being filled out.  Now it is
correctly reporting that the lines are not filled out.  It is accurate.

If you were relying on strace to show you the concatenated argv output
then you can't do that anymore for cygwin processes.  Sorry.  You'll
have to get that information from the "build_argv" lines in the execed
process.

From a user's perspective, I don't care what the implementation is.

And from a developer's point of view when a user is trying to look at
strace output and not understanding it, then that indicates to me that
they don't understand the underlying code.  strace in cygwin is much
more detailed than strace on linux.  It is mainly intended as a
developer's tool for people who understand the code.  It contains names
of functions and variable names and hexadecimal output indicating
addresses.  You have to know what this all means.

cgf

* Re: Process command lines for Cygwin processes no longer viewable in Windows task manager as of Cygwin 1.7.21
@ 2013-07-25 22:16     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2013-07-25 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 09:21:31AM -0400, Charles Wilson wrote:
>On 7/25/2013 4:28 AM, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>> On Jul 24 22:38, Tom Honermann wrote:
>>> My suspicion that this started with 1.7.21 is based on Corinna's
>>> comments in http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2013-07/msg00343.html and
>>> other anecdotal evidence of new problems occurring as of that
>>> release.
>>
>> This is by design now as described in the aforementioned posting.  If
>> you want to see the command line of a Cygwin application called by
>> another Cygwin application, see /proc/$pid/cmdline.
>
>Would a patch to restore the previous operation based on a $CYGWIN
>variable setting be acceptable?

I actually had the same thought and have a patch waiting for Corinna's
comment sitting in my sandbox.

cgf

* RE: Process command lines for Cygwin processes no longer viewable in Windows task manager as of Cygwin 1.7.21
@ 2013-07-25 22:23                 ` Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E]
From: Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E] @ 2013-07-25 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Tom Honermann

Tom Honermann sent the following at Thursday, July 25, 2013 1:53 PM

Does this (or a variation thereof) do what you want?

c:\cygwin\bin\procps -A --format cmd

- Barry

* Re: Process command lines for Cygwin processes no longer viewable in Windows task manager as of Cygwin 1.7.21
@ 2013-07-26 17:47       ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2013-07-26 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 02:16:04PM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 09:21:31AM -0400, Charles Wilson wrote:
>>>
>>> This is by design now as described in the aforementioned posting.  If
>>> you want to see the command line of a Cygwin application called by
>>> another Cygwin application, see /proc/$pid/cmdline.
>>
>>Would a patch to restore the previous operation based on a $CYGWIN
>>variable setting be acceptable?
>
>I actually had the same thought and have a patch waiting for Corinna's
>comment sitting in my sandbox.

This is checked in.  The CYGWIN environment variable keyword is 'wincmdln'.

32 and 64 bit snapshots are uploaded.

http://cygwin.com/snapshots/

cgf

* Re: Process command lines for Cygwin processes no longer viewable in Windows task manager as of Cygwin 1.7.21
@ 2013-07-26 18:35         ` Tom Honermann
From: Tom Honermann @ 2013-07-26 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 02:16:04PM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:

>>> Would a patch to restore the previous operation based on a $CYGWIN
>>> variable setting be acceptable?
>>
>> I actually had the same thought and have a patch waiting for Corinna's
>> comment sitting in my sandbox.
>
> This is checked in.  The CYGWIN environment variable keyword is 'wincmdln'.

Thank you, that is much appreciated.

> 32 and 64 bit snapshots are uploaded.
>
> http://cygwin.com/snapshots/

I'll test (probably 32-bit only) and report if any problems appear.

@ 2013-07-26 20:07                   ` Tom Honermann
From: Tom Honermann @ 2013-07-26 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E]; +Cc: cygwin

On 07/25/2013 02:15 PM, Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E] wrote:
> Tom Honermann sent the following at Thursday, July 25, 2013 1:53 PM
>
> Does this (or a variation thereof) do what you want?
>
> c:\cygwin\bin\procps -A --format cmd

Thank you for the suggestion, but no.  My use case really does require
being able to retrieve the command line for Cygwin processes using the
same mechanism used for any other Windows process.

Chris' implementation of CYGWIN=wincmdln should address my needs.

@ 2013-07-30 22:50           ` Tom Honermann
From: Tom Honermann @ 2013-07-30 22:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 07/26/2013 01:58 PM, Tom Honermann wrote:
> On 07/26/2013 01:38 PM, Christopher Faylor wrote:

>>> I actually had the same thought and have a patch waiting for Corinna's
>>> comment sitting in my sandbox.
>>
>> This is checked in.  The CYGWIN environment variable keyword is
>> 'wincmdln'.
>
> Thank you, that is much appreciated.
>
>> 32 and 64 bit snapshots are uploaded.
>>
>> http://cygwin.com/snapshots/
>
> I'll test (probably 32-bit only) and report if any problems appear.

Tests passed, changes look good, thanks again.

The upgrade guide [1] doesn't list the new keyword.  Should I expect it
to be updated when 1.7.23 is released?

[1]: http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-cygwinenv.html

@ 2013-07-31  3:49             ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2013-07-31  3:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 01:52:05PM -0400, Tom Honermann wrote:
>On 07/26/2013 01:58 PM, Tom Honermann wrote:

>>> This is checked in.  The CYGWIN environment variable keyword is
>>> 'wincmdln'.
>>
>> Thank you, that is much appreciated.
>>
>>> 32 and 64 bit snapshots are uploaded.
>>>
>>> http://cygwin.com/snapshots/
>>
>> I'll test (probably 32-bit only) and report if any problems appear.
>
>Tests passed, changes look good, thanks again.
>
>The upgrade guide [1] doesn't list the new keyword.  Should I expect it
>to be updated when 1.7.23 is released?
>
>[1]: http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-cygwinenv.html

Obviously we're not going to update the web page with a feature that
doesn't work in the current release.

http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-cvs/2013-q3/msg00039.html

cgf