* [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: mingw64-*-{gcc,headers,runtime,pthreads}, New package: mingw64-*-winpthreads
@ 2013-07-12 12:42 JonY
From: JonY @ 2013-07-12 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

This update includes:

Update:
mingw64-*-headers-3.0b_svn5935-1
mingw64-*-runtime-3.0b_svn5935-1
mingw64-*-gcc-4.7.3-1
mingw64-*-pthreads-20100619-5

New:
mingw64-*-winpthreads-3.0b_svn5935-1

*** NOTES ***

For gcc-4.7.x, struct alignment behavior has changed, -mms-bitfields is
now default, for better MSVC compatibility. This may cause ABI changes
in libraries that expose data structures directly to clients. Workaround
include marking the struct with the gcc_struct attributes.

The pthreads package is now a stub containing only runtime DLL, the
POSIX threads headers and link libraries are now provided by the
winpthreads package.

The mingw64-*-headers package now has winpthreads as a prerequisite as
well, some of the headers from the headers package are overwritten on
purpose by the winpthreads package.

******

The cross compiler can produce Win32 and Win64 native binaries. As a
cross compiler, you may use --host=i686-w64-mingw32 or
--host=x86_64-w64-mingw32 for autotools based source packages to build
for Windows.

              *** CYGWIN-ANNOUNCE UNSUBSCRIBE INFO ***

If you want to unsubscribe from the cygwin-announce mailing list,
look at the "List-Unsubscribe: " tag in the email header of this
message. Send email to the address specified there. It will be in the
format:

If you need more information on unsubscribing, start reading here:

Please read *all* of the information on unsubscribing that
is available starting at this URL.

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: mingw64-*-{gcc,headers,runtime,pthreads}, New package: mingw64-*-winpthreads
@ 2013-07-26  5:23 ` Yaakov (Cygwin/X)
From: Yaakov (Cygwin/X) @ 2013-07-26  5:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2013-07-12 05:33, JonY wrote:
> For gcc-4.7.x, struct alignment behavior has changed, -mms-bitfields is
> now default, for better MSVC compatibility. This may cause ABI changes
> in libraries that expose data structures directly to clients. Workaround
> include marking the struct with the gcc_struct attributes.

While we're breaking ABI anyway, would you be able to enable SEH for
x86_64-w64-mingw32 *now* so that I don't have to rebuild mingw64
packages YA in the near future?

Yaakov

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: mingw64-*-{gcc,headers,runtime,pthreads}, New package: mingw64-*-winpthreads
@ 2013-07-26 10:26   ` JonY
From: JonY @ 2013-07-26 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 7/26/2013 13:02, Yaakov (Cygwin/X) wrote:
> On 2013-07-12 05:33, JonY wrote:
>> For gcc-4.7.x, struct alignment behavior has changed, -mms-bitfields is
>> now default, for better MSVC compatibility. This may cause ABI changes
>> in libraries that expose data structures directly to clients. Workaround
>> include marking the struct with the gcc_struct attributes.
>
> While we're breaking ABI anyway, would you be able to enable SEH for
> x86_64-w64-mingw32 *now* so that I don't have to rebuild mingw64
> packages YA in the near future?

IIRC SEH is only available in gcc 4.8, I will do this when I push 4.8 to
32bit, which should be soon after a gcc rebuild for 64bit.

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: mingw64-*-{gcc,headers,runtime,pthreads}, New package: mingw64-*-winpthreads
@ 2013-07-27  5:17     ` JonY
From: JonY @ 2013-07-27  5:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 7/26/2013 17:45, JonY wrote:
> On 7/26/2013 13:02, Yaakov (Cygwin/X) wrote:
>> On 2013-07-12 05:33, JonY wrote:
>>> For gcc-4.7.x, struct alignment behavior has changed, -mms-bitfields is
>>> now default, for better MSVC compatibility. This may cause ABI changes
>>> in libraries that expose data structures directly to clients. Workaround
>>> include marking the struct with the gcc_struct attributes.
>>
>> While we're breaking ABI anyway, would you be able to enable SEH for
>> x86_64-w64-mingw32 *now* so that I don't have to rebuild mingw64
>> packages YA in the near future?
>>

> IIRC SEH is only available in gcc 4.8, I will do this when I push 4.8 to
> 32bit, which should be soon after a gcc rebuild for 64bit.

Looks like 4.8 for Cygwin 32bit isn't happening soon. GCC ICE'ed in
libgcc in a simple function:

void
__enable_execute_stack (void *addr)
{
  MEMORY_BASIC_INFORMATION b;

  if (!VirtualQuery (addr, &b, sizeof(b)))
    abort ();
  VirtualProtect (b.BaseAddress, b.RegionSize, PAGE_EXECUTE_READWRITE,
                  &b.Protect);
}

enable-execute-stack.c: In function ‘__enable_execute_stack’:
enable-execute-stack.c:38:1: error: unrecognizable insn:
 }
 ^
(insn 10 9 11 2 (set (reg:SI 64)
        (symbol_ref:SI ("VirtualQuery@12") [flags 0x441] <function_decl
0xffac1980 VirtualQuery>)) enable-execute-stack.c:34 -1
     (nil))
enable-execute-stack.c:38:1: internal compiler error: in extract_insn,
at recog.c:2150

enable-execute-stack.c:38:1: internal compiler error: Aborted
xgcc: internal compiler error: Aborted (program cc1)

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: mingw64-*-{gcc,headers,runtime,pthreads}, New package: mingw64-*-winpthreads
@ 2013-07-30  8:27       ` JonY
From: JonY @ 2013-07-30  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

After removing 4.8-cmodel-medium.patch and 4.8-duplicate-symbols.patch
for 32bit cygwin, 2nd stage libgcc fails with spawn error, "C compiler
cannot create executables".

Running the compile command manually does show it running cc1, but hangs
indefinitely, adding -v causes it to emit xgcc: error: unrecognized
command line option ‘-v’.

Piping the C files over stdin and adding -xc makes it run, but it never
does produce any output file. It does print some Execution times statistics.

I'm not sure what's going on.

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: mingw64-*-{gcc,headers,runtime,pthreads}, New package: mingw64-*-winpthreads
@ 2013-07-30 11:17         ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2013-07-30 11:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Jul 30 06:37, JonY wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After removing 4.8-cmodel-medium.patch and 4.8-duplicate-symbols.patch
> for 32bit cygwin, 2nd stage libgcc fails with spawn error, "C compiler
> cannot create executables".

I thought the 4.8-cmodel-medium.patch only affects the x86_64 target.

> Running the compile command manually does show it running cc1, but hangs
> indefinitely, adding -v causes it to emit xgcc: error: unrecognized
> command line option ‘-v’.
>
> Piping the C files over stdin and adding -xc makes it run, but it never
> does produce any output file. It does print some Execution times statistics.
>
> I'm not sure what's going on.

Can you discuss this in the gcc mailing lists?  I hope Kai is available
for some input...

Corinna

Red Hat