* RE: possible bug in 1.7.22-1 core DLLs
@ 2013-07-31 19:25 starlight.2013z3
From: starlight.2013z3 @ 2013-07-31 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin, Stephan Mueller

At 06:31 PM 7/31/2013 +0000, Stephan Mueller wrote:
>Yeah, I can see your viewpoint here.  Christopher
>is known for being brusque at times.  And you may
>have, no doubt accidentally, pushed a hot button
>for this particular community.
>
>For what it's worth, the Cygwin folks do prefer
>that people join the community when asking for
>help.  Personally, I have no problem with hitting
>gets a reply in addition to the group, but I think
>it's also a reasonable stance that to get support
>for a free product, people take the small step of
>joining the mailing list.

Some people like myself cannot abide subscribing
to firehose mailing lists and prefer to view
discussion threads with a browser.   It does not
mean contributors, direct or indirect, are any
of value.  Even if I were a direct contributor
monitoring it closely, I would /dev/null the
list and browse it.

>As for Christopher's brusequeness, I don't read
>what he wrote as nastiness; he's really just being
>extremely direct.

Rude at a minimum.  The old saying applies:
You catch more flies with honey than with
vinegar.

>it's absolutely true that it's
>unlikely that anyone is going to look into this
>problem because it's not clear what the steps to
>reproduce the problem are, or even what the
>symptoms are, at this point.

It was fairly obvious from my message that
I was reservedly offering to help find the
problem, not in particular of a fix.  Finding
the cause of such problems is generally
3x to 10x harder than fixing them, so the
loss here is the community's.

>A reasonable next step might be for you to provide
>the list with more specific info on the problem.
>The acronym STC (simple test case) is often found
>on the list -- as in "STC appreciated".

STCs are rarely "simple" to create.  Usually
a ton of work.

>Ultimately, I'd encourage you to give the list
>another chance

Not this summer.  Have helped in the past
but don't have much time have been turned
off.

>since the folks there (Christopher
>and Corinna are the two who do the bulk of the
>work on cygwin1.dll -- and as far as I know it's
>all volunteer) are generally very responsive to
>specific bug reports and turn around fixes
>quickly.

I am, aware of this and do appreciate their
efforts and CYGWIN, which is a great product.

>If you don't help isolate the issues
>that are causing _you_ grief, then you may be
>forever stuck on 1.7.16.

I dropped in 1.7.17 DLLs and it works fine.

Fixes the CTRL-C problem and the point
behind it all, running a critical build
script, work as well.

@ 2013-08-01  9:50 ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2013-08-01  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: starlight.2013z3, cygwin

Greetings, starlight.2013z3@binnacle.cx!

> Some people like myself cannot abide subscribing
> to firehose mailing lists and prefer to view
> discussion threads with a browser.   It does not
> mean contributors, direct or indirect, are any
> of value.  Even if I were a direct contributor
> monitoring it closely, I would /dev/null the
> list and browse it.

But it do mean that you break threading with your replies, making is hard to
read archives after your bursts.

--
WBR,

Sorry for my terrible english...

* Re: possible bug in 1.7.22-1 core DLLs
@ 2013-08-01 15:05   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2013-08-01 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Aug 01, 2013 at 01:38:07PM +0400, Andrey Repin wrote:
>Greetings, starlight.2013z3!
>>Some people like myself cannot abide subscribing to firehose mailing
>>lists and prefer to view discussion threads with a browser.  It does
>>not mean contributors, direct or indirect, are any of value.  Even if I
>>were a direct contributor monitoring it closely, I would /dev/null the
>>list and browse it.
>
>But it do mean that you break threading with your replies, making is
>hard to read archives after your bursts.

The other problem is that he forwarded someone's private (very
reasonable) email to the cygwin list because he probably didn't realize
that it was a private correspondence.  That is a breach of netiquette.

Also: http://xkcd.com/357/

cgf

* Re: possible bug in 1.7.22-1 core DLLs
@ 2013-07-31 17:57   ` starlight.2013z3
From: starlight.2013z3 @ 2013-07-31 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2013-07-31 17:37 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2013-07-31 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2013-07-31 16:44 starlight.2013z3
From: starlight.2013z3 @ 2013-07-31 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello,

[...]

Regards

P.S.  Not subscribed to list, please reply directly.