* mintty shell gets frequent "8~" strings inserted into input
@ 2014-01-24 19:00 KARR, DAVID
From: KARR, DAVID @ 2014-01-24 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I'm on Cygwin 1.7.26 on Win7.

I run mintty with "C:\Cygwin\bin\mintty.exe -e /bin/bash --login".

Every minute or so, or randomly, my mintty shell prompt gets the string "8~" inserted.  If I leave the shell there, it will end up with a string of them.  What might be causing this?

* Re: mintty shell gets frequent "8~" strings inserted into input
@ 2014-01-24 19:34 ` Larry Hall (Cygwin)
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin) @ 2014-01-24 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 1/24/2014 2:00 PM, KARR, DAVID wrote:
> I'm on Cygwin 1.7.26 on Win7.
>
> I run mintty with "C:\Cygwin\bin\mintty.exe -e /bin/bash --login".
>
> Every minute or so, or randomly, my mintty shell prompt gets the string
> "8~" inserted. If I leave the shell there, it will end up with a string of
> them. What might be causing this?

Check the archives.  I think there was a similar report that finally
resolved itself as an overly zealous virus checker or something similar.

--
Larry

A: Yes.

@ 2014-01-24 19:58   ` KARR, DAVID
From: KARR, DAVID @ 2014-01-24 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
> On 1/24/2014 2:00 PM, KARR, DAVID wrote:
> > I'm on Cygwin 1.7.26 on Win7.
> >
> > I run mintty with "C:\Cygwin\bin\mintty.exe -e /bin/bash --login".
> >
> > Every minute or so, or randomly, my mintty shell prompt gets the string
> > "8~" inserted. If I leave the shell there, it will end up with a string of
> > them. What might be causing this?
>
> Check the archives.  I think there was a similar report that finally
> resolved itself as an overly zealous virus checker or something similar.

Any idea what to search for?  I've already searched the internet and the cygwin archives several months back with obvious search strings.

* Re: mintty shell gets frequent "8~" strings inserted into input
@ 2014-01-24 20:14     ` Larry Hall (Cygwin)
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin) @ 2014-01-24 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 1/24/2014 2:57 PM, KARR, DAVID wrote:
> [...]

This is what I was thinking of:

<http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2013-10/msg00069.html>

--
Larry

A: Yes.

@ 2014-01-24 20:20     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2014-01-24 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 07:57:46PM +0000, KARR, DAVID wrote:
>> On Friday, January 24, 2014 11:35 AM, Larry Hall wrote:
>>>On 1/24/2014 2:00 PM, KARR, DAVID wrote:
>>>I'm on Cygwin 1.7.26 on Win7.
>>>
>>>I run mintty with "C:\Cygwin\bin\mintty.exe -e /bin/bash --login".
>>>
>>>Every minute or so, or randomly, my mintty shell prompt gets the string
>>>"8~" inserted.  If I leave the shell there, it will end up with a
>>>string of them.  What might be causing this?
>>
>>Check the archives.  I think there was a similar report that finally
>>resolved itself as an overly zealous virus checker or something
>>similar.
>
>Any idea what to search for?  I've already searched the internet and
>the cygwin archives several months back with obvious search strings.

Wow, I agree with Larry that we've seen this before and I thought it
was a virus checker but I can't find a search term for this either.

I searched for "site:cygwin.com mintty" for the last three months but...
nuthin.

Could you try turning off your virus check to see if that helps?

cgf

* Re: mintty shell gets frequent "8~" strings inserted into input
@ 2014-01-24 20:21       ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2014-01-24 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 03:19:58PM -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:

>>>Check the archives.  I think there was a similar report that finally
>>>resolved itself as an overly zealous virus checker or something
>>>similar.
>>
>>Any idea what to search for?  I've already searched the internet and
>>the cygwin archives several months back with obvious search strings.
>
>Wow, I agree with Larry that we've seen this before and I thought it
>was a virus checker but I can't find a search term for this either.
>
>I searched for "site:cygwin.com mintty" for the last three months but...
>nuthin.
>
>Could you try turning off your virus check to see if that helps?

Sorry, I obviously missed Larry's reply.

cgf

* RE: mintty shell gets frequent "8~" strings inserted into input
@ 2014-01-25  2:40       ` KARR, DAVID
From: KARR, DAVID @ 2014-01-25  2:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
> On 1/24/2014 2:57 PM, KARR, DAVID wrote:

I don't know where the subject of virus scanners comes in here. I simply added the suggested line to ~/.inputrc and it seemed to resolve the problem.  I'm not quite certain what it did, but I do know it fixed my current problem.

* Re: mintty shell gets frequent "8~" strings inserted into input
@ 2014-01-25 22:28         ` Larry Hall (Cygwin)
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin) @ 2014-01-25 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 1/24/2014 9:40 PM, KARR, DAVID wrote:
> [...]

The thread actually mentions some software to disable screen-savers.  This
is apparently what my poor memory filtered out and substituted virus
scanners for.

Since this seems to be a common bash problem, I wonder if it makes sense
to add the "\e[" sequence to the skeleton .inputrc file to avoid this issue
at least on new installs.  David, would you be willing to add it?

--
Larry

A: Yes.

@ 2014-01-25 22:30           ` Larry Hall (Cygwin)
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin) @ 2014-01-25 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 1/25/2014 5:27 PM, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
> On 1/24/2014 9:40 PM, KARR, DAVID wrote:

Ouch!  I just realized that the David I mentioned above could be interpreted
as the OP, David Karr, instead of the base-files package maintainer,
David Sastre Medina.  I meant the latter.  Sorry for any confusion.

--
Larry

A: Yes.