* Telnet in latest Cygwin
@ 2013-08-07 21:19 Andy Davidson
From: Andy Davidson @ 2013-08-07 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

I have the latest Cygwin, setup is v2.819 (64 bit).  I want to install telnet but the inetutils package isn't in the installer any more.  It doesn't seem to be in the last version I installed around a month ago.  Any clues ?

Andy

* Re: Telnet in latest Cygwin
@ 2013-08-07 21:37 ` Larry Hall (Cygwin)
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin) @ 2013-08-07 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 8/7/2013 5:18 PM, Andy Davidson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have the latest Cygwin, setup is v2.819 (64 bit).  I want to install
> telnet but the inetutils package isn't in the installer any more.  It
> doesn't seem to be in the last version I installed around a month ago.
> Any clues ?

<http://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/package-grep.cgi?grep=bin%2Ftelnet.exe>

The package still exists and 'telnet' is in there.  Try a different
mirror if the one you're using isn't showing the package.

--
Larry

A: Yes.
 > Q: Are you sure?
 >> A: Because it reverses the logical flow of conversation.

* Re: Telnet in latest Cygwin
@ 2013-08-08  7:09   ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2013-08-08  7:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Aug  7 17:36, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
> On 8/7/2013 5:18 PM, Andy Davidson wrote:
> >
> >Hi,
> >
> >I have the latest Cygwin, setup is v2.819 (64 bit).  I want to install
> >telnet but the inetutils package isn't in the installer any more.  It
> >doesn't seem to be in the last version I installed around a month ago.
> >Any clues ?
>
> <http://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/package-grep.cgi?grep=bin%2Ftelnet.exe>
>
> The package still exists and 'telnet' is in there.  Try a different
> mirror if the one you're using isn't showing the package.

Andy was asking about 64 bit.  Inetutils hasn't been ported to 64 bit
Cygwin yet, that's why it's missing.  I'd suggest to use ssh instead.
Telnet is inherently unsecure and ssh is a wonderful replacement.

Corinna

Red Hat

* Re: Telnet in latest Cygwin
@ 2013-08-08 11:20     ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2013-08-08 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Corinna Vinschen

Greetings, Corinna Vinschen!

> On Aug  7 17:36, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
>> On 8/7/2013 5:18 PM, Andy Davidson wrote:
>> >
>> >Hi,
>> >
>> >I have the latest Cygwin, setup is v2.819 (64 bit).  I want to install
>> >telnet but the inetutils package isn't in the installer any more.  It
>> >doesn't seem to be in the last version I installed around a month ago.
>> >Any clues ?
>>
>> <http://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/package-grep.cgi?grep=bin%2Ftelnet.exe>
>>
>> The package still exists and 'telnet' is in there.  Try a different
>> mirror if the one you're using isn't showing the package.

> Andy was asking about 64 bit.  Inetutils hasn't been ported to 64 bit
> Cygwin yet, that's why it's missing.  I'd suggest to use ssh instead.
> Telnet is inherently unsecure and ssh is a wonderful replacement.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work where you explicitly need to use telnet.
F.e. to connect to PON terminals.

Though, I fail to see, how Cygwin telnet is different from, say PuTTY. Or
native Windows telnet.

--
WBR,

Sorry for my terrible english...

* Re: Telnet in latest Cygwin
@ 2013-08-08 18:30       ` Warren Young
From: Warren Young @ 2013-08-08 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrey Repin

On 8/8/2013 05:08, Andrey Repin wrote:

> Though, I fail to see, how Cygwin telnet is different from, say PuTTY. Or
> native Windows telnet.

Windows 8 doesn't come with telnet.exe installed by default, and when
you install it from Programs and Features, it's invisible to Cygwin 32,
apparently due to the SxS madness.

Cygwin 64 *does* see it, but attempting to run it just drops you right
back at a prompt, immediately.

Even if it did run, wouldn't things like Ctrl-] break due to the
problems Cygwin currently has running interactive native console programs?

Windows' telnet.exe doesn't even run particularly well within cmd.exe.
Telnetting to a local web server here, it didn't do local echo properly,
so I couldn't see whether I'd typed "GET / HTTP1.0" correctly.  (I had
Cygwin telnet.exe renamed to cygtelnet.exe during this time, to ensure I
wasn't picking it up by accident.)

* Re: Telnet in latest Cygwin
@ 2013-08-09 14:42         ` Paul Allen
From: Paul Allen @ 2013-08-09 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Aug 8, 2013 at 7:30 PM, Warren Young wrote:

> On 8/8/2013 05:08, Andrey Repin wrote:
>>

>> Though, I fail to see, how Cygwin telnet is different from, say PuTTY. Or
>> native Windows telnet.
>

> Windows 8 doesn't come with telnet.exe installed by default, and when you install it from
> Programs and Features, it's invisible to Cygwin 32, apparently due to the SxS madness.

Have you tried sysnative in case installing telnet gives you a 32-bit
version as well as a 64-bit one?

> Windows' telnet.exe doesn't even run particularly well within cmd.exe. Telnetting to a local web
> server here, it didn't do local echo properly, so I couldn't see whether I'd typed "GET /
> HTTP1.0" correctly.

Different versions of Windows have come with one of two telnets.
Early and late versions came
with the white-on-black, no-local-echo you have.  The others came with
black-on-white,
with-local-echo, window-closes-when-connection-closes.  IIRC, the one
that closed when the
connection closed was dropped from Windows prior to HTTP persistent
connections being widely
supported, so was never useful for diagnosing HTTP.

Basically, Windows telnet (both versions) is proof that MIC.  Microsoft Is Crap.

--
Paul

* Re: Telnet in latest Cygwin
@ 2013-10-27 20:45     ` Ralph Siegler
From: Ralph Siegler @ 2013-10-27 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin <at> cygwin.com> writes:

  I'd suggest to use ssh instead.
> Telnet is inherently unsecure and ssh is a wonderful replacement.
>
> Corinna

but telnet is an invaluable tool for command line troubleshooting tcp
network connectivity issues to SMTP, HTTP and other services by manually
typing the protocol commands into the server.  ssh can't do that

* Re: Telnet in latest Cygwin
@ 2013-10-28 14:03       ` Robert Klemme
From: Robert Klemme @ 2013-10-28 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sun, Oct 27, 2013 at 7:15 PM, Ralph Siegler wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen writes:
>
>   I'd suggest to use ssh instead.
>> Telnet is inherently unsecure and ssh is a wonderful replacement.

> but telnet is an invaluable tool for command line troubleshooting tcp
> network connectivity issues to SMTP, HTTP and other services by manually
> typing the protocol commands into the server.  ssh can't do that

There's also netcat (nc).

http://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/package-cat.cgi?file=x86_64%2Fnc%2Fnc-1.107-4&grep=%2Fnc.exe

Cheers

robert

http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/

* Re: Telnet in latest Cygwin
@ 2014-01-25 12:15   ` zeev
From: zeev @ 2014-01-25 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

You can use the 'nc' (aka netcat) instead of telnet

nc localhost 80

From a cygwin terminal it will give an equivalent result to 'telnet
localhost 80', and far better than Microsoft's #$&%#*%&$# telnet

Search for 'nc' in the cygwin installation.

good luck

* Re: Telnet in latest Cygwin
@ 2014-01-25 19:03     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2014-01-25 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 04:15:17AM -0800, zeev wrote:
>You can use the 'nc' (aka netcat) instead of telnet
>
>nc localhost 80

From a cygwin terminal it will give an equivalent result to 'telnet
>localhost 80', and far better than Microsoft's #$&%#*%&$# telnet
>
>Search for 'nc' in the cygwin installation.
>
>good luck

Thanks for helping but you're responding to a message from October.
Please don't resurrect old discussions.