On Feb 13 17:09, Corinna Vinschen wrote: > On Feb 13 09:48, Steven Penny wrote: > > On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 8:38 AM, Corinna Vinschen wrote: > > > For as long as Cygwin has existed, it has stored user and group > > > information in /etc/passwd and /etc/group files. Under the assumption > > > that these files would never be too large, the first process in a > > > process tree, as well as every execing process within the tree would > > > parse them into structures in memory. Thus every Cygwin process would > > > contain an expanded copy of the full information from /etc/passwd and > > > /etc/group. > > > > Stellar writeup! I read the whole post. I am happy to help, but I have couple of > > questions > > > > - How will this affect "normal" users, that is to say one admin user on one > > computer with no domain or networking? Will it be better to use this new > > system or keep /etc/passwd? > > That should have been clear from the writeup. Just continue to use > /etc/passwd and /etc/group if you're not comfortable to change your > local SAM. But my mail also contains examples how to change your SAM > entry from the CMD or bach command line. > > > - Do you have any benchmarks available? Or instructions on how we could test the > > speed of the new system? > > Nope. Try something time-consuming you're doing every day under > time(1), I guess. Building some project or so. But first get > comfortable with the new output of `id' and `ls -l' in some > environments. I'm all for performance, but functionality first, please. Btw., for completeness, here's a /etc/nsswitch.conf file with comments, with everything set to the default values. Again, note that the file is optional and only needed if you want to diverge from the defaults: ========= SNIP ========== # /etc/nsswitch.conf # # This file is read once by the first process in a Cygwin process tree. # To pick up changes, restart all Cygwin processes. # # passwd: # group: # # "files" only use /etc/passwd or /etc/group file. # "db" only use SAM/AD retrieval. # "files db" both, files preferred. This is the default. # # "db files" does not make any sense # passwd: files db group: files db # # Configuration of "db" style passwd/group handling: # # db_prefix: # # "auto" If "auto", prepend domain to account name if the account # is not a member of the machine's primary domain. Prepend # just the separator char if the account is a well-known # or builtin group. # # "primary" "primary" is like "auto", but prepend domain to account name # as well, if the account is a member of the machine's primary # domain. # # "always" If set to "always", always prepend domain, even for # well-known and builtin accounts. # db_prefix: auto # # db_cache: # # "yes" If yes, cache once retrieved DB values in local process, # hand cache down to child processes. This is the default. # # "no" If no, fetch passwd or group entries anew, every time an # entry is requested. # db_cache: yes # # db_separator: # # Set separator character between domain and account name to # the ASCII char X. Default is '+'. # db_separator: + ========= SNAP ========== Corinna -- Corinna Vinschen Please, send mails regarding Cygwin to Cygwin Maintainer cygwin AT cygwin DOT com Red Hat