On Feb 19 23:19, Andrey Repin wrote: > Greetings, Corinna Vinschen! > > >> Setting > >> > >> db_enum: local > >> > >> seems to be really destructive. > >> I'm not good at reading straces, so... Can I make a useful trace for your > >> inspection? > >> So far, I'm unable to start anything with freshly rebuilt Cygwin1.dll > >> if db_enum set to local. Even uname -a crashes. > > > The last one is weird since uname doesn't call getpwent. > > That's what was my thought, too. Because (un)setting it back cures the crash. > > > Anyway, with more help from Denis Excoffier I think I got it. I'm > > just building a new snapshot which should be up in half an hour or so. > > Please give it a try. > > Looking into it now. > Doesn't crash or anything so far. (With `db_enum: local' set.) > Tried a few utilities, as well as your example get*ent code. > BTW, can we have it as one "getent"[1] tool for the next release? > > Going to play with different settings, I will post if I find anything > unexpected. > > [1] http://linux.die.net/man/1/getent That sounds pretty much like the tool we need to be able to get rid of the `grep /etc/passwd' stuff we have in some of the service configuration helper scripts. Unfortunately it's a glibc tool so we probably have to create our own. For a start it would suffice to support only passwd and group databases. Corinna -- Corinna Vinschen Please, send mails regarding Cygwin to Cygwin Maintainer cygwin AT cygwin DOT com Red Hat