On Feb 26 08:09, Achim Gratz wrote: > > Sorry, I don't grok this. What has a web application server to do with > > asking a DC for user info? > > We have one of these that does a lot of DC lookups because it authenticates > all users. It's also in a much faster network, so I can check there what > the lookup rate could be reasonably expected to be. > > > Erm... how often are you calling id, usually? > > I'm currently doing this in the login process to figure out whether the > prompt should show "root" powers. I'll have to figure out something else to > do instead. No, you don't. I'm actually doing the same. Let's keep up with this and try to make Cygwin faster in the first place. > > Also, we're in the early > > stages of testing this change. The idea is not that you just switch, > > the idea is that we *test* this and I get enough feedback to be able to > > ease the biggest pains. > > Understood. Until now I had to generate passwd and group files and I was > hoping that the need for doing that would go away (I'd also need to talk to > our AD folks so they start populating the correct fields). Yup. Feedback from AD admins is greatly appreciated. > > Other than that, I just had an in-shower inspiration how to speed up > > `id' specificially. The getgroups(2) call is in the center of this and > > I could probably speed up the stuiff a lot by opening the LDAP > > connection in getgroups only once. > > Thursday? :-) Hmm, probably. > > Also, more radically, if we drop the functionality to define another > > group name for a group, we could drop the requirement to open an LDAP > > connection to fetch group information to the DC entirely(*). This would > > only affect domain groups, local groups could still have different > > names. But I'm already wondering for a couple of days if having a > > Cygwin group name different from the Windows group name is really > > necessary at all. I added this years ago for fun, but there's no > > serious reason I can think of which would require to keep up with this. > > > > (*) Assuming the group info is cached in the local LSA, which is > > pretty likely for the groups of the current user. > > That would also work for me (I don't think I've ever used that feature > consciously). > > > Sigh. Testing in this tempo will take ages. > > Sorry, but that's not my decision to make in this case. I'll see if I can > sneak in something until the end of the week. That would be nice. Especially since your mail was the last straw which keeps me from having to do *shudder* more documentation. Corinna -- Corinna Vinschen Please, send mails regarding Cygwin to Cygwin Maintainer cygwin AT cygwin DOT com Red Hat