On Feb 28 03:12, Andrey Repin wrote: > Greetings, Corinna Vinschen! > > While we're at it, I just had this weird idea. > > > What if, as soon as the first Cygwin process in a process tree starts, > > this process not only caches the primary group info, but also caches all > > supplementary groups from the user's token? This would slow down > > startup of the first process slightly, but it would speed up any > > subsequent request for group information of a group in the user's token. > > An `id' call would be almost instant, and `ls' calls would probably be > > faster as well. > > Umhm. I'd have to see, how slightly. Because my primary use of Cygwin tools > does not expect to have a parent Cygwin process. (I.e. diff'ing between > file manager panels.) > > > As always, there's a trade-off: Users running cygwin processes from CMD > > a lot would encounter a slowdown. > > > What do you think, guys? > > Needs some tests. I would certainly appreciate faster initial startups, but if > the delay is manageable, I can cope with more long-term friendly approach. > I've got entangled in current work and lost track of snapshots for now. > If there's some DEF's in library, that I can toggle and rebuild it with certain > features enabled and disable for local test, I'd be glad to have a round at it > over weekend. I've just uploaded a new snapshot to http://cygwin.com/snapshots/ It allows you to do the following in /etc/nsswitch.conf: db_cache: no No caching of passwd and group data at all db_cache: yes Caching of passwd and group data, no initial caching of the user's supplementary groups from the user token. db_cache: full This is the default now. Caching of passwd and group data *plus* initial caching of all groups from the user token. Please try it out. Average timings from your environment (process startup, and calling `id') would be nice. Thanks, Corinna -- Corinna Vinschen Please, send mails regarding Cygwin to Cygwin Maintainer cygwin AT cygwin DOT com Red Hat