On Apr 19 00:41, Andy wrote: > Larry Hall (Cygwin cygwin.com> writes: > >On 04/18/2014 06:36 PM, Andy wrote: > >> I'm curious about the circumstance that allows a file that is > >> readable and executable by all to invisible to cygwin. Just > >> something to be aware of when using cygwin, that some mechanism may > >> cause some of the Windows file system to be invisible. > > > > Sounds to me like you installed 32-bit Cygwin on a 64-bit Windows > > O/S. If so, the issue you're seeing isn't Cygwin-specific. All > > Windows 32-bit apps would experience the same thing. If you need > > Cygwin to see both 32 and 64-bit apps/dlls on 64-bit Windows, install > > 64-bit Cygwin. > > > > > > Yes, I'm aware of the 64-bit version of cygwin. I wasn't aware of this > hiccup between 32 and 64-bit apps (that the former can't see the latter). > All the more reason to move to 64-bit sooner rather than later. When I > installed the 32-bit cygwin, it was some time ago, when I was concerned > about compatibility with all things 32-bit. Now that 64-bit is much more > prevalent, I the tides have shifted. As Larry wrote, this has nothing to do with Cygwin: 64 bit apps on 64 bit find their stuff as usual in C:\Windows\System32. For 32 bit apps on 64 bit Windows, all access to C:\Windows\System32 is redirected to the directory C:\Windows\SysWOW64, which is populated. with the 32 bit WIndows tools and DLLs. Since Vista you can also access the 64 bit C:\Windows\System32 from 32 bit apps, by using the fake path C:\Windows\Sysnative HTH, Corinna -- Corinna Vinschen Please, send mails regarding Cygwin to Cygwin Maintainer cygwin AT cygwin DOT com Red Hat