On Apr 25 14:11, Douglas Coup wrote: > On 4/25/2014 11:47 AM, Corinna Vinschen wrote: > >On Apr 25 11:30, Douglas Coup wrote: > >>I downloaded the x86/cygwin-inst-20140425.tar.xz file. I assume all > >>I need to do is run tar xvf against this file? From the output it > >>certainly looked like it installed the files. > >No. Just download the DLL and only install the DLL in place of the old > >DLL. Installing the tar inst file under Cygwin doesn't effectively > >replace the Cygwin DLL. You should exit all(!) Cygwin processes, mopve > >the release DLL out of the way, and move the new DLL in place. > Good shooting, Corinna. The problem has gone away with the new DLL. Good to know. Can you please try something else? I'm wondering if that's not a problem analogue of the one described in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948252. The "fix" from that KB applied to your case: - Revert to the release Cygwin DLL. - Delete the .blf files and the .regtrans-ms files from your %Windir%\System32\SMI\Store\Machine folder. - Try the failing rm -f scenario again. Does that fix the problem, too? If not, I'm back to blaming Perforce. Thanks, Corinna -- Corinna Vinschen Please, send mails regarding Cygwin to Cygwin Maintainer cygwin AT cygwin DOT com Red Hat