On Jul 8 12:44, Christopher Faylor wrote: > On Tue, Jul 08, 2014 at 11:36:07AM -0500, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote: > >On 2014-07-08 10:02, Christopher Faylor wrote: > >> On Tue, Jul 08, 2014 at 09:55:55AM -0400, Ken Brown wrote: > >>> Grasping at straws, as usual, I wonder if these mysterious crashes could > >>> be related to a bug that Corinna just fixed: > >>> > >>> https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-cvs/2014-q3/msg00004.html > >>> > >>> Corinna, is this plausible? If so, maybe Gustav should try the next > >>> snapshot of the Cygwin DLL. (The current one doesn't seem to have this > >>> fix in it.) > >> > >> Actually, I was scratching my head over that change and wondering > >> what it was supposed to solve. > > > >We believe that this was the cause of e.g. mandb aborting on x86_64 > >without manually enlarging the stack commit size: > > "We"? Yaakov and me in a discussion with integrated testing on IRC. What are you trying to imply? > Isn't that testable by setting the stack size down and putting a > printf in cygwin somewhere? > > In any event, the comment in my code which is supposed to explain why > the tag is commented out is lacking details. If this patch is a joint > effort then please add more details to the change that you made to my > code. It's not your code. The function exception::myfault_handle has been written by me to workaround the lack of structured exception handling in GCC on x86_64. I don't understand what's unclear in this comment. exception::myfault_handle is a vectored exception handler (see the comment preceeding the method) so it short-circuits structured exception handling. Thus it short-circuits PAGE_GUARD handling, aka stack commits. Corinna -- Corinna Vinschen Please, send mails regarding Cygwin to Cygwin Maintainer cygwin AT cygwin DOT com Red Hat