On Jul 17 20:09, Achim Gratz wrote: > > I have come across an interesting problem with the link count on a > NetApp volume(*). While hardlinks can be created just fine and work as > you'd expect (changing one file changes all the linked files), the link > count that gets reported for each of the linked files is always 1. ONe > of those NetApp volumes is my home directory and it breaks GNU parallel, > which uses the link count as a semaphore. Is this a bug in how Cygwin > handles these volumes or a problem in how they are set up or something > entirely else? Netapp inode numbers are not reliable and thus the number of links isn't either. There's a check in Cygwin which is the result of the early Cygwin 1.7 development. It does not report the number of hardlinks and it fakes the inode numbers on netapp filesystems. > (*) df also doesn't show anything on these volumes, but that has been > reported before. Windows reports them as CIFS or NTFS, depending on > where you look. The file system returns STATUS_INVALID_PARAMETER when calling NtQueryVolumeInformationFile(FileFsFullSizeInformation) for some reason. If you're set up to build your own Cygwin DLL, we could perform two or three really quick tests to find out if there's a way to workaround this issue in Cygwin. Corinna -- Corinna Vinschen Please, send mails regarding Cygwin to Cygwin Maintainer cygwin AT cygwin DOT com Red Hat