On Jul 30 11:15, Andrew DeFaria wrote: > On 7/30/2014 6:47 AM, Corinna Vinschen wrote: > > I have not been actively watching this thread but if I'm correct we're > adding NIS like capabilities to Cygwin so that /etc/passwd can easily be > filled with say everybody in the domain? If so then bravo! > > I also take it that it's not ready yet either. It's ready for a given value of ready. I'm just looking for certain details which needs to be clarified before the stuff can be released. > When it is, how would I > install it? The existing code is in almost all developer snapshots of the last few months. Just try the last one from http://cygwin.com/snapshots/ and read my preliminary documentation attached to this mail again (and which, incidentally, is now in the offical docs in the repo as well). > >So I'd like to ask a few questions to which I'd like to have some brief > >answers, kind of like a poll, to get a better idea how we should > >proceed: > > > >1. Shall we remove the leading '+' from the builtin account names > > or shall we keep it? > > > >2. Shall we stick to '+' as the separator char or choose another one? > > If so, which one? > > How about "@"? Dunno. It *might* be a good alternative to '+'. Personally I just dislike that a '@' is a less "light" character and it might give a wrong idea. Email: name AT domain. Cygwin account: domain AT name. > >3. Shall we keep the `db_prefix' variability or choose one of > > the prefixing methods and stick to it? If so, which one, auto, > > primary, or always? > > > >Bonus question: > > > >4. Should Cygwin downcase all usernames when generating the Cygwin > > username, so, if your Windows username is 'Ralph', your Cygwin > > username will be 'ralph'? > > I say downshift them! Corinna -- Corinna Vinschen Please, send mails regarding Cygwin to Cygwin Maintainer cygwin AT cygwin DOT com Red Hat