On Jul 30 21:29, Corinna Vinschen wrote: > On Jul 30 13:09, Eric Blake wrote: > > On 07/30/2014 12:40 PM, Corinna Vinschen wrote: > > > > >>> 2. Shall we stick to '+' as the separator char or choose another one? > > >>> If so, which one? > > >> > > >> How about "@"? > > > > > > Dunno. It *might* be a good alternative to '+'. Personally I just > > > dislike that a '@' is a less "light" character and it might give a wrong > > > idea. Email: name AT domain. Cygwin account: domain AT name. > > > > How bad would it be to treat the window's DOMAIN\user as cygwin > > user@DOMAIN? Yes, it means string-splicing to rearrange strings when > > converting between the two forms, rather than just single-character > > replacement, but it might work. > > It's more or less simple from a coding perspective, slightly more > complicated when evaluating the incoming name in a call to > getpwnam/getgrnam. > > But I'm concerned that using this form is worse than DOMAIN@user. As > you know, starting with Active Directory in Windows 2000, there are two > variations of the domain name. > > The first is the Netbios domain name as used in pre-Windows 2000 > already. It's called "flat name" and it consist of alphanumeric chars > only. The Windows expression for this type of username is > FLATEXAMPLE\user. > > The second, more modern is the DNS-type domain name. In this case the > domain name is a DNS-style name like example.com. A username in this > style is written like a email address (trying to workaround the mailing > list filters) user AT example DOT com. You can use this style to login > to your machine, for instance. > > FLATEXAMPLE and example.com are the same domain, just two different > names for the same thing. > > LookupAccountSid and LookupAccountName return the FLATEXAMPLE domain and > that's used in the Cygwin username. > > If you start using the FLATEXAMPLE domain in the writing style of > the DNS-style domain, I can see a lot of confusion coming up. This > does in no way reflect what the users use with native Windows. > > "name @ FLATEXAMPLE?!? Shouldn't that be name AT example DOT com?" > > OTOH, if we use the DNS-style name as username, we introduce an even > more complex naming scheme on the commandline, with additional dots. > I'm not sure how useful that is. Also, chown just occured to me. Think `chown user.group file' with the username containing dots. Corinna -- Corinna Vinschen Please, send mails regarding Cygwin to Cygwin Maintainer cygwin AT cygwin DOT com Red Hat