On Jul 31 23:06, Christoph H. Hochstaetter wrote: > Corinna Vinschen wrote: > >Default is 'auto': > > > > builtin accounts; "+SYSTEM", "+LOCAL", etc. > > primary domain "corinna", "cgf", ... > > other domain: "DOMAIN1+walter", "DOMAIN2+mathilda" > > > > If set to 'primary': > > > > builtin accounts; "+SYSTEM", "+LOCAL", etc. > > primary domain "MYDOMAIN+corinna", "MYDOMAIN+cgf", ... > > other domain: "DOMAIN1+walter", "DOMAIN2+mathilda" > > > > If set to 'always': > > > > builtin accounts; "NT AUTHORITY+SYSTEM", "BULTIN+LOCAL", etc. > > primary domain "MYDOMAIN+corinna", "MYDOMAIN+cgf", ... > > other domain: "DOMAIN1+walter", "DOMAIN2+mathilda" > > >1. Shall we remove the leading '+' from the builtin account names > > or shall we keep it? > > None of these three seem correct to me. It should be: > > builtin accounts; "NT AUTHORITY+SYSTEM", "BULTIN+LOCAL", etc. > primary domain "corinna", "cgf", ... > other domain: "DOMAIN1+walter", "DOMAIN2+mathilda" The prefix-only variation for builtin and well-known acocunts is what's originally used by SFU. I cloned that behaviour as it seemed to have advantages handling getpwname/getgrnam calls. > Windows treats "NT AUTHORITY" and "BUILTIN" as foreign domains like DOMAIN1 > and DOMAIN2 in Win32 APIs that use a single string for domain and username, > e.g. lpServiceStartName in CreateService. Examples: > > ".\user1" - can be uses as a shortcut for "MYDOMAIN\user1" > [...] The Windows ".\" prefixing is not at all utilized inside Cygwin. It has nothing to do with how the prefixing is evaluated. > This should be at least configurable thru > db_prefix even though most users might not want to see names like " NT > AUTHORITY+SYSTEM " in ls -l. That's what you get with db_prefix "auto" or "primary". > >2. Shall we stick to '+' as the separator char or choose another one? > > If so, which one? > > Yes "+" is well known for that purpose in Linux and other Unixes. Keep > db_separator in /etc/nsswitch.conf if possible > > >3. Shall we keep the `db_prefix' variability or choose one of > > the prefixing methods and stick to it? If so, which one, auto, > > primary, or always? > See above > > >Bonus question: > > > >4. Should Cygwin downcase all usernames when generating the Cygwin > > username > I prefer downcase. Other users probably will not. So db_username_downcase = > true/false would be great. Sigh. YA setting. I was trying to *simplify* the stuff and reduce variability since that stuff only complicates the code for... what gain? Corinna -- Corinna Vinschen Please, send mails regarding Cygwin to Cygwin Maintainer cygwin AT cygwin DOT com Red Hat