On Jul 30 20:43, Corinna Vinschen wrote: > On Jul 30 12:10, Eric Blake wrote: > > [resend; apologies for the encryption snafu] > > > > On 07/30/2014 07:47 AM, Corinna Vinschen wrote: > > > > > > Default is 'auto': > > > > > > builtin accounts; "+SYSTEM", "+LOCAL", etc. > > > primary domain "corinna", "cgf", ... > > > other domain: "DOMAIN1+walter", "DOMAIN2+mathilda" > > > > > > > > > > > Also, the leading '+' for builtin accounts results in some downsides, > > > one of them for instance the fact that `chown +x' assumes that x is a > > > numerical uid or gid. Thus `chown +SYSTEM ...' fails. On the other > > > hand it simplifies the account handling inside of Cygwin. > > > > I'm really worried about the leading + thing. > > [...] > > Good points. I might have overvalued the gain of easily recognizing > builtin accounts by the leading '+' separator. > > Big, big, hmmmmm, *thinking*... I just uploaded a new snapshot to http://cygwin.com/snapshots/ This snapshot contains only a single change: It drops the prepended plus entirely, So the builtin and well-known accounts are now called as familiar: SYSTEM instead of +SYSTEM, Administrators instead of +Administrators, etc. The documentation doesn't reflect this change yet, but I will fix that pretty soon. As for other changes, I'm still not sure since we seem to have as many different opinions as interested community members :} I would still like to drop the db_prefix and db_separator settings and just stick to the setting called "auto": builtin accounts; "SYSTEM", "Administrators", etc. primary domain "corinna", "yaakov", ... This is typically all you see on non-domain machines. On domain maches, add this: other domain: "DOMAIN1+walter", "DOMAIN2+mathilda" (local SAM accounts are subsumed under "other domain" here). Would anybody have really terrible problems with this approach? If so, what problems? Corinna -- Corinna Vinschen Please, send mails regarding Cygwin to Cygwin Maintainer cygwin AT cygwin DOT com Red Hat