On Oct 22 15:54, Corinna Vinschen wrote: > On Oct 22 13:35, Habermann, Dave (DA) wrote: > > 3) I also read "Cygwin implements the Solaris API to access Windows > > ACLs in a Unixy way" (although your email says "Revamp Solaris ACL > > implementation to more closely work like POSIX ACLs are supposed to > > work"). So is it Solaris or is it POSIX, and if Solaris then I wonder > > why since it seems that everywhere else you've tried to be as POSIX as > > possible. > > Solaris ACLs *are* POSIX ACLs :) > > The difference is not how these ACLs look like, but only in the API > used to access the ACLs. > > The Solaris API was finished and working at the time I implemented this > POSIX ACL support in Cygwin, while the POSIX draft 1003.1e was still in > the works, and our role model Linux didn't even now how to spell ACL. > These days, Linux implements the POSIX 1003.1e draft, (which, funny > enough, has been withdrawn long ago), while Solaris and Cygwin provide > the original Solaris API. Btw., this probably goes without saying, but I would be really grateful if somebody wants to take a stab at implementing the POSIX API, maybe just on top of the underlying Solaris API, maybe as separate libacl.a as on Linux. One may dream... Corinna -- Corinna Vinschen Please, send mails regarding Cygwin to Cygwin Maintainer cygwin AT cygwin DOT com Red Hat