On Nov 10 22:18, Achim Gratz wrote: > Corinna Vinschen writes: > > - If your account is an AD account, the home directory is taken from the > > RFC 2307 entry unixHomeDirectory. > > This isn't set yet in our domain, but there's another AD just for the > UNIX accounts (I haven't looked at how that one is structured yet). > There's talk about maybe unifying these two AD in the future, but I have > no idea how that would work. If you're doing that at one point... > > - Otherwise, if these values are empty or don't exist, your fallback > > home directory is /home/$USER (without domain prefix). > > > > As you may have noticed, there's nothing in there taking the Windows > > home directory into account. It's indeed not used at all by the new > > code. > > I think that is generally the right idea, since mixing all the .-files > into the normal Windows home directory results in a mess, especially > when there are Windows programs ported from Unix that use the same > scheme for themselves. What I'm doing right now is to create an > /etc/fstab.d/$USER that mounts a subdirectory of the Windows $HOME > (always a network drive for normal domain users) when I set up a new > users' machine or login on a server. I also mount the actual Windows > home back under ~/winhome. > > > Shall the "db" entries utilize the Windows home folder if it exits(*) > > and drop using the unixHomeDirectory? It seems inevitable... > > That would cause serious problems for me I think. Keeping the home > directory pinned to /home/$USER and automounting this based on some rule > involving either or both of those entries seems a better idea in the > long run. ...it might give you similar trouble as you outline above. As soon as the RFC 2307 posixAccount/posixGroup scheme is utilized for Unix machines, Cygwin's usage of unixHomeDirectory would potentially break your modus operandi... Corinna -- Corinna Vinschen Please, send mails regarding Cygwin to Cygwin Maintainer cygwin AT cygwin DOT com Red Hat