On Nov 10 23:19, Warren Young wrote: > On Nov 10, 2014, at 6:38 PM, Jeffrey Altman wrote: > > My personal preference would be for the Cygwin Home directory to be > > created under > > > > %HOMEPATH%\AppData\Roaming\Cygwin > > That’s certainly the way you’re *supposed* to do it on Windows. > > There’s some value in using %USERPROFILE% for this, however: > > 1. c:\Users\ShortName is directly analogous to /home/shortname on > Linux or /Users/ShortName on OS X. > > 2. Recent versions of Windows have given up on the “My” prefix for the > main directories within your user profile directory which happens to > make them match the scheme used on Ubuntu, Fedora, OS X, etc. Finger > memory like “cd ~/Desktop” will serve you better if Cygwin doesn’t > bury the user directory underneath AppData somewhere. > > You can paper over #2 with symlinks, of course, as I already do while > using the current c:\cygwin\home scheme. It would just be nice to > avoid the need to create those symlinks. Symlinks don’t always behave > exactly the same as real directories, for one thing. Use mount points in /etc/fstab or /etc/fstab.d. Mount points usually behave like real directories. Corinna -- Corinna Vinschen Please, send mails regarding Cygwin to Cygwin Maintainer cygwin AT cygwin DOT com Red Hat