On Nov 11 10:02, Ken Brown wrote: > On 11/11/2014 9:14 AM, Ken Brown wrote: > >On 11/11/2014 6:53 AM, Corinna Vinschen wrote: > >>On Nov 10 22:33, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote: > >>>On 2014-11-10 22:23, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote: > >>>>Dependency order of packages: libgcc1 base-cygwin cygwin dash tzcode > >>>>libstdc++6 terminfo sed gzip libpcre1 grep libreadline7 bash > >>>>libncursesw10 > >>>[snip] > >>> > >>>Now that I think about it, regardless of libgcc1, that still doesn't > >>>make > >>>much sense. sed, grep, and bash depend on libintl8, which depends on > >>>libiconv2, and libreadline7 (which is required by bash) itself > >>>depends on > >>>libncursesw10, so that should be at least two places earlier. All of > >>>those > >>>dependencies are listed in setup.hint (and hence setup.ini), so is there > >>>something wrong with setup itself? > >> > >>What about dependency loops? > >> > >>AFAICS, coreutils depends on tzcode, tzcode depends on coreutils. Both > >>depend on libgcc1. This introduces a big problem in dependency > >>resolution because there's no unambiguous starting point. > >> > >>What if we remove the coretuls dep from tzcode. > >> > >>Or, actually, what if we make sure that Base packages only depend > >>on libs, but never on any other Base package? > > > >Except that all Base packages (other than base-cygwin) should depend on > >base-cygwin. That will guarantee that base-cygwin precedes all other > >Base packages in the dependency order. In theory that should be solved by the dependency to cygwin. Cygwin depends on base-cygwin, all other packages depend on cygwin. The problem is just that dependency loops can break that. > >And if we make _autorebase > >depend on nothing, then we're guaranteed that it precedes anything that > >depends on it. Per its setup.hint file it depends on nothing, just like base-cygwin, and both packages request that they don't get an automatic dependency to cygwin added. > Of course, this still doesn't solve the problem of making sure that the > _autorebase postinstall script runs whenever the user installs a package > containing DLLs. I wonder if we should reconsider Achim's proposal. If I > understand correctly, it is something like this (oversimplified): > > 1. Change autorebase.bat to do an incremental rebase instead of trying to do > a full rebase. > > 2. Arrange for autorebase.bat to never be marked as "done". > > Achim, please correct me if my oversimplification distorts your suggestion > too much. Achim, can you give a management summary how your proposal works? Corinna -- Corinna Vinschen Please, send mails regarding Cygwin to Cygwin Maintainer cygwin AT cygwin DOT com Red Hat