On Dec 5 08:07, Andrey Repin wrote: > Greetings, Corinna Vinschen! > > >> >> > Here's what you get: > >> >> > >> >> I finally realized, what was tingling me all this time. > >> >> The implicit fallback mechanics. I'd rather want to have explicit declaration > >> >> and a failure message in case something isn't right. Much easier to fix system > >> >> issues, when the system tell you about them. > >> > >> > The fallback mechanism is pretty much required to have a sane default > >> > which works for home users without having to change nsswitch.conf at > >> > all. Also, not everybody will want error messages rather than some sane > >> > fallback (for any given value of "sane"), while if you don't want a sane > >> > fallback, you can easily create an unsane fallback to help you maintain > >> > your solution, e.g. > >> > >> > db_home: cygwin /invalid/read-only-path > >> > >> Why not set defaults (in case of db_home) to > >> > >> db_home: cygwin desc /home/%U > >> > >> and remove fallback? > >> It just not seems right - creating workarounds to implement straight behavior. > > > It's not a workaround from my POV to provide a fallback. Creating a > > workable passwd entry is important. If I implement it as you suggest > > above, I would still provide the typical "set home to the root dir" > > default. Sure, that might be an option. > > If you mean "complain and set home to the root", then I'm happy with this > solution. No complain. You still seem to have a problem to understand that this is underlying functionality under a couple of system calls generating passwd entries for arbitrary accounts. It's *not* necessarily the current account. A user visible complaint for every unconfigured account enumerated via getpwent is quite over the top. Corinna -- Corinna Vinschen Please, send mails regarding Cygwin to Cygwin Maintainer cygwin AT cygwin DOT com Red Hat