* Re: TEST RELEASE: Cygwin 1.7.34-002
       [not found] <20141206194943.GD3810@calimero.vinschen.de>
@ 2014-12-09 22:18 ` Michael DePaulo
From: Michael DePaulo @ 2014-12-09 22:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Dec 6, 2014 at 2:49 PM, Corinna Vinschen
<corinna-cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote:
> For your convenience I wrote new documentation.  Since this is a TEST
> prerelease, the new documentation is not part of the official docs yet.
> Rather have a look at
>
>   https://cygwin.com/preliminary-ntsec.html
>
> If you read it (which I seriously hope for) and it's all just
> incomprehensible gobbledygook to you, please say so on the mailing list

Might I suggest a clarification for the section "Samba account mapping"?

Remember that there are multiple components to Samba nowadays, such as
the AD DC and the NT4-style DC. But this part of the documentation
concerns itself with only the Samba file server, smbd.

At the beginning of it, change:
A fully set up Samba with domain integration is running winbindd to
map Window SIDs to artificially created UNIX uids and gids, and this
mapping is transparent within the domain, so Cygwin doesn't have to do
anything special.

to something like:
A fully set up Samba file server with domain integration is running
winbindd to map Window SIDs to artificially created UNIX uids and
gids, and this mapping is transparent within the domain, so Cygwin
doesn't have to do anything special to access Samba shares.

-Mike

* Re: TEST RELEASE: Cygwin 1.7.34-002
@ 2014-12-10 12:35   ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2014-12-10 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Dec  9 17:18, Michael DePaulo wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 6, 2014 at 2:49 PM, Corinna Vinschen
> <corinna-cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote:
> > For your convenience I wrote new documentation.  Since this is a TEST
> > prerelease, the new documentation is not part of the official docs yet.
> > Rather have a look at
> >
> >   https://cygwin.com/preliminary-ntsec.html
> >
> > If you read it (which I seriously hope for) and it's all just
> > incomprehensible gobbledygook to you, please say so on the mailing list
>
> Might I suggest a clarification for the section "Samba account mapping"?
>
> Remember that there are multiple components to Samba nowadays, such as
> the AD DC and the NT4-style DC. But this part of the documentation
> concerns itself with only the Samba file server, smbd.
>
> At the beginning of it, change:
> A fully set up Samba with domain integration is running winbindd to
> map Window SIDs to artificially created UNIX uids and gids, and this
> mapping is transparent within the domain, so Cygwin doesn't have to do
> anything special.
>
> to something like:
> A fully set up Samba file server with domain integration is running
> winbindd to map Window SIDs to artificially created UNIX uids and
> gids, and this mapping is transparent within the domain, so Cygwin
> doesn't have to do anything special to access Samba shares.

Done.

Thanks,
Corinna

Red Hat

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 819 bytes --]

@ 2014-12-12 13:49 ` Michael DePaulo
From: Michael DePaulo @ 2014-12-12 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Dec 6, 2014 at 2:49 PM, Corinna Vinschen
<corinna-cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote:
> I finally released another TEST version of the next upcoming Cygwin
> release.  The version number is 1.7.34-002.

I *think* I am experiencing a very bad regression.

These are the Windows permissions on my ~/.ssh/id_rsa file:
C:\cygwin\home\mike\.ssh>icacls id_rsa
id_rsa NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(F)
       DEPAULO\mike:(R,W,D,WDAC,WO)

Under cygwin 1.7.33-2, I am able to use the file fine:

mike@executor ~
$ uname -a
CYGWIN_NT-6.3-WOW64 executor 1.7.33-2(0.280/5/3) 2014-11-13 15:45 i686 Cygwin

mike@executor ~
$ ssh galactica
Enter passphrase for key '/home/mike/.ssh/id_rsa':
Last login: Fri Dec 12 08:36:39 2014 from executor.depaulo.org
mike@galactica:~ :) [1] $ exit
logout
Connection to galactica closed.

mike@executor ~
$ cd .ssh

mike@executor ~/.ssh
$ ls -latr id_rsa
-rw------- 1 mike mkpasswd 1743 Dec  7  2013 id_rsa

But under 1.7.34-002, I get a permissions error:

mike@executor ~
$ uname -a
CYGWIN_NT-6.3-WOW64 executor 1.7.34(0.282/5/3) 2014-12-06 18:03 i686 Cygwin

mike@executor ~
$ ssh galactica
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
@         WARNING: UNPROTECTED PRIVATE KEY FILE!          @
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
Permissions 0670 for '/home/mike/.ssh/id_rsa' are too open.
It is recommended that your private key files are NOT accessible by others.
This private key will be ignored.
key_load_private_type: bad permissions
mike@galactica's password:

mike@executor ~
$ cd .ssh

mike@executor ~/.ssh
$ ls -latr id_rsa
-rw-rwx---+ 1 mike Domain Users 1743 Dec  7  2013 id_rsa

-Mike

* Re: TEST RELEASE: Cygwin 1.7.34-002
@ 2014-12-12 14:35   ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2014-12-12 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 12/12/2014 8:49 AM, Michael DePaulo wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 6, 2014 at 2:49 PM, Corinna Vinschen
> <corinna-cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote:
>> I finally released another TEST version of the next upcoming Cygwin
>> release.  The version number is 1.7.34-002.
>
> I *think* I am experiencing a very bad regression.
>
> These are the Windows permissions on my ~/.ssh/id_rsa file:
> C:\cygwin\home\mike\.ssh>icacls id_rsa
> id_rsa NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(F)
>         DEPAULO\mike:(R,W,D,WDAC,WO)
>
> Under cygwin 1.7.33-2, I am able to use the file fine:
>
> mike@executor ~
> $ uname -a
> CYGWIN_NT-6.3-WOW64 executor 1.7.33-2(0.280/5/3) 2014-11-13 15:45 i686 Cygwin
>
> mike@executor ~
> $ ssh galactica
> Enter passphrase for key '/home/mike/.ssh/id_rsa':
> Last login: Fri Dec 12 08:36:39 2014 from executor.depaulo.org
> mike@galactica:~ :) [1] $ exit
> logout
> Connection to galactica closed.
>
> mike@executor ~
> $ cd .ssh
>
> mike@executor ~/.ssh
> $ ls -latr id_rsa
> -rw------- 1 mike mkpasswd 1743 Dec  7  2013 id_rsa
>

> But under 1.7.34-002, I get a permissions error:
>
> mike@executor ~
> $ uname -a
> CYGWIN_NT-6.3-WOW64 executor 1.7.34(0.282/5/3) 2014-12-06 18:03 i686 Cygwin
>
> mike@executor ~
> $ ssh galactica
> @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
> @         WARNING: UNPROTECTED PRIVATE KEY FILE!          @
> @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
> Permissions 0670 for '/home/mike/.ssh/id_rsa' are too open.
> It is recommended that your private key files are NOT accessible by others.
> This private key will be ignored.
> key_load_private_type: bad permissions
> mike@galactica's password:
>

> mike@executor ~
> $ cd .ssh
>
> mike@executor ~/.ssh
> $ ls -latr id_rsa
> -rw-rwx---+ 1 mike Domain Users 1743 Dec  7  2013 id_rsa

This isn't a regression.  It's a deliberate change, so that Cygwin now
takes ACLs into account when calculating permissions.  The simplest fix
is to use the new feature of setfacl to remove the unwanted permissions.
  From the release announcement:

> - Add -b/--remove-all option to setfacl to reduce the ACL to only the
>   entries representing POSIX permission bits.

Ken

* Re: TEST RELEASE: Cygwin 1.7.34-002
@ 2014-12-15 11:35     ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2014-12-15 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Dec 12 09:35, Ken Brown wrote:
> On 12/12/2014 8:49 AM, Michael DePaulo wrote:
> >On Sat, Dec 6, 2014 at 2:49 PM, Corinna Vinschen
> ><corinna-cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote:
> >>I finally released another TEST version of the next upcoming Cygwin
> >>release.  The version number is 1.7.34-002.
> >
> >I *think* I am experiencing a very bad regression.
> >
> >These are the Windows permissions on my ~/.ssh/id_rsa file:
> >C:\cygwin\home\mike\.ssh>icacls id_rsa
> >id_rsa NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(F)
> >        DEPAULO\mike:(R,W,D,WDAC,WO)
> >[...]
> >$ uname -a
> >CYGWIN_NT-6.3-WOW64 executor 1.7.34(0.282/5/3) 2014-12-06 18:03 i686 Cygwin
> >
> >mike@executor ~
> >$ ssh galactica
> >@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
> >@         WARNING: UNPROTECTED PRIVATE KEY FILE!          @
> >@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
> >Permissions 0670 for '/home/mike/.ssh/id_rsa' are too open.
> >It is recommended that your private key files are NOT accessible by others.
> >This private key will be ignored.
> >key_load_private_type: bad permissions
> >[...]
> >mike@executor ~/.ssh
> >$ ls -latr id_rsa
> >-rw-rwx---+ 1 mike Domain Users 1743 Dec  7  2013 id_rsa
>
> This isn't a regression.  It's a deliberate change, so that Cygwin now takes
> ACLs into account when calculating permissions.  The simplest fix is to use
> the new feature of setfacl to remove the unwanted permissions.  From the
> release announcement:
>
> >- Add -b/--remove-all option to setfacl to reduce the ACL to only the
> >  entries representing POSIX permission bits.
>
> Ken

What he says.  Here are the important snippets from the POSIX ACL Linux
man page (for instance http://linux.die.net/man/5/acl), which was never
before implemented in Cygwin, but which is with the test release (and
thus the upcoming release):

  An ACL that contains entries of ACL_USER or ACL_GROUP tag types must
  contain exactly one entry of the ACL_MASK tag type.

Windows doesn't support MASK entries.  But POSIX requires a MASK entry
if a supplementary user or group has an ACL entry, thus Cygwin emulates
the entry.

  The ACL_MASK entry denotes the maximum access rights that can be
  granted by entries of type ACL_USER, ACL_GROUP_OBJ, or ACL_GROUP.

So the emulated MASK entry is the or'ed mask of all permissions granted
to the primary group and all supplementary users and groups.

  There is a correspondence between the file owner, group, and other
  permissions and specific ACL entries:
  [...]
  If the ACL has an ACL_MASK entry, the group permissions correspond to
  the permissions of the ACL_MASK entry.

So, the group permissions don't simply reflect the permissions of the
primary group, but the sum of permissions of the primary group and all
supplementary users and groups in the ACL.

It's unfortunate that this may break more installations, but it's also a
security improvment.  The group permissions reflect the fact that the
permissions granted to your ssh key are too open.  Fortunately the new
-b option to setfacl allows a quick fix.

@ 2014-12-15 17:15       ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2014-12-15 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Corinna Vinschen writes:
> It's unfortunate that this may break more installations, but it's also a
> security improvment.  The group permissions reflect the fact that the
> permissions granted to your ssh key are too open.  Fortunately the new
> -b option to setfacl allows a quick fix.

Speaking of setfacl, would it be possible to also implement the -k /
--remove-default option?

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: TEST RELEASE: Cygwin 1.7.34-002
@ 2014-12-15 17:59         ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2014-12-15 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Dec 15 18:15, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen writes:
> > It's unfortunate that this may break more installations, but it's also a
> > security improvment.  The group permissions reflect the fact that the
> > permissions granted to your ssh key are too open.  Fortunately the new
> > -b option to setfacl allows a quick fix.
>
> Speaking of setfacl, would it be possible to also implement the -k /
> --remove-default option?

Hmm, should be possible with a minor tweak...

@ 2014-12-15 20:39           ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2014-12-15 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin