Hi David, On Mar 21 13:50, Habermann, David (D) wrote: > I observed the same error. In my case, it was apparently caused by a > too-rapid startup at boot of cygserver, which apparently could not > connect to LDAP at that early stage. LDAP can't have to do with that, in theory. The whole mechanism should give a sane result even if LDAP connections fail, because the core part is the call to LookupAccountSid and that's the only call which has to succeed. I just had a quick glance into the source code and I'm seriously puzzled how it could create /sbin/nologin. This should only happen if your account is not a SidTypeUser account. But that's impossible for a user account. Unless, and that's the puzzeling thing here, unless LookupAccountSid failed for your account and returned SidTypeUnknown. This should never happen for a user logged in to the system since in this case all the information returned by LookupAccountSid should be cached. I'd like to investigate more, but it would be nice if we could try to understand what exactly happens. How exactly looks the output of `getent passwd ' and `id' while you're getting the /sbin/nologin shell entry? There may be also some interesting info in an strace, or we could run an (yet to be created) augmented Cygwin DLL in your scenario As for /sbin/nologin itself, I'm not sure why I did that without providing an /sbin/nologin executable. This is very clearly an oversight on my part. In theory it should be part of the util-linux package, but it isn't for some reason. Yaakov, any idea why? Is it a problem to add it? Alternatively, is anybody interest to provide just /sbin/nologin as an extra package, perhaps? Corinna -- Corinna Vinschen Please, send mails regarding Cygwin to Cygwin Maintainer cygwin AT cygwin DOT com Red Hat