On Mar 23 16:39, Lemke, Michael ST/HZA-ZSW wrote: > I just upgraded my cygwin installation to 1.7.35 or what the latest is. > After that I got an awful bash shell instead of my standard tcsh. So > I read up on that very long https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html > manual (needs an executive version) Feel free to contribute one. My major concern was to get a complete description in the documentation. It's hard (for me) to condense this to a shorter versions without knowing at all what people need and not need. Ultimatly there won't be a condensed version which matches everybody's needs anyway. > and came up with > > $ cat /etc/nswitch.conf > passwd: files > group: files Try this instead: passwd: db group: db db_shell: /bin/tcsh This should work for you without any passwd and group files, provided you're the only user of your machine anyway. > Now I can't start cygwin at all: > > This account is currently not available. > /sbin/nologin: Exit 1 As outlined in https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2015-03/msg00380.html this is certainly not a desired result, so I'd like to see how this occurs and how we can avoid this in the next Cygwin version. So, *before* you make the above suggested change, can you please provide the following information: - In a CMD shell, cd to C:\cygwin{64}\bin, call the following two commands, and paste the output into your reply: getent passwd %USERNAME% id - Please provide your /etc/passwd file content, or at least the passwd entry of your account. > So how do I get my shell back without messing with the AD? That's > off limits here. The https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html document explains how not to mess with AD, if that's not desired. See the above suggestion. Thanks and HTH, Corinna -- Corinna Vinschen Please, send mails regarding Cygwin to Cygwin Maintainer cygwin AT cygwin DOT com Red Hat