On Mar 24 08:07, Fergus Daly wrote: > grep -Pl "\xmn" > used to find files containing the ASCII character mn. For instance > grep -PL "\x0d" or "\x0a" or usefully "\x00". > This seems to have been lost with the current version. > Is this an error? If not, can anybody tell me what new syntax will recover the old behaviour? I just tested this on Cygwin and Fedora 21, both with grep 2.21: $ cat x.sh #!/bin/sh echo ${0##*/} $ grep -Pl '\x30' x.sh x.sh $ grep -Pl '\x0a' x.sh $ Same result on both systems, so it finds characters in lines, but not the line separator itself. If that worked before, this looks like an upstream change to me. A bit of digging shows this thread on the bug-grep mailing list: http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-grep/2015-03/msg00015.html And indeed, if I add a NUL byte to the file and search for it: $ grep -Pl '\x0' x.sh $ grep -aPl '\x0' x.sh x.sh This does not work for the CR or LF, though. You may want to discuss this on the bug-grep ML. Corinna -- Corinna Vinschen Please, send mails regarding Cygwin to Cygwin Maintainer cygwin AT cygwin DOT com Red Hat