On Apr 14 16:53, Corinna Vinschen wrote: > On Apr 14 07:24, Bryan Berns wrote: > > On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 4:00 AM, Corinna Vinschen > > > > > > The problem is that Cygwin, or any other tool trying to resolve SIDs > > > doesn't know a SID won't resolve before it tried. And then it's an > > > OS function which takes its time. It's like checking for network > > > machines providing shares. Sometimes this test takes ages, but in > > > this case, fortunately, you see that it takes ages in Explorer as > > > well. > > > > > > As for ACLs, you can alleviate the problem somewhat by running cygserver > > > on the machine, which allows to cache SIDs for all processes. So only > > > the first process trying the SID will take time, followup processes will > > > get the cached results from cygserver. > > > > > > Other than that, except for ignoring ACLs entirely (noacl) I have > > > no idea how to solve this problem differently. > > > > Yes, I understand there's nothing Cygwin can do beforehand -- that > > means sense. I guess what I'm saying is that Cygwin doesn't appear to > > be caching SIDs in certain scenarios. > > > > For example, I create a whole bunch of files (like 5000), I use > > icacls to append a new ACE. Then I do a 'time ls -l > > /cygdrive/c/somedir/*'. Takes four seconds. In the same Cygwin > > session, I remove the local group (net localgroup testgroup /delete). > > I do the same 'time ls -l /cygdrive/c/somedir/*'. Takes 20 seconds. > > Subsequent runs in the also take 20 seconds. Since I'm able to > > continue to see the slowdown in the same session, cygserver wouldn't > > help right? > > > > Is the above expected? > > Yes. Without cygserver, caching only works from parent to child process. > One run of ls can't cache data for a parallel run of ls in trhe same > session. As, btw., explained in the documentation: > > https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html ...and if my reply wasn't clear enough: Cygserver will help in this scenario as outlined in the documentation. It caches the account information system-wide, so the stuff the first ls cached is available for the next ls. Or the next shell session. Corinna -- Corinna Vinschen Please, send mails regarding Cygwin to Cygwin Maintainer cygwin AT cygwin DOT com Red Hat