On May 12 12:59, Scott McPeak wrote: > I am attaching a reproducer Makefile. Run "make 2>&1 | cat" to see > the incorrect output: > > $ make 2>&1 | cat > echo first > output > echo secondxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx >> > output > /cygdrive/c/Windows/System32/sort.exe nonexist 2>> output; true > ----- BEGIN output ----- > nonexistThe system cannot find the file specified. > xxxxxxxxxxxxxx > ----- END output ----- > > The bug happens with both make 4.1 and make 4.0 on cygwin 2.0.2. It > does not happen with make 3.82.90 and cygwin 1.7.23. (And that is > my only known workaround: downgrade to cygwin 1.7.) This appears to be an issue with make 4. Using make 3.82.90 under recent Cygwin "fixes" the issue. "Fixes" in quotes, because this might be a result of how more recent make versions handle I/O. This could be a deliberate decision in terms of flushing output to a file. Then again, it's rather puzzeling that this affects a file only opened by the subshell. Marco, do you see a chance trying to find out why this occurs? Thanks, Corinna -- Corinna Vinschen Please, send mails regarding Cygwin to Cygwin Maintainer cygwin AT cygwin DOT com Red Hat