* More details about the tmux 2.0 regression
@ 2015-06-06  9:58 İsmail Dönmez
From: İsmail Dönmez @ 2015-06-06  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Michael Wild

Hi,

I had a nice discussion with tmux maintainers over at
https://github.com/tmux/tmux/issues/13 about the tmux 2.0 regression
on Cygwin.

Long story short, tmux is trying to read /proc/<pid>/cmdline and
/proc/<pid>/cwd for various reasons and for non-Cygwin programs this
is quite slow. You can reproduce this easily run cmd.exe inside bash
and try to

cat /proc/<pid of cmd.exe>/cmdline

and see it takes a second long to print "<defunct>". Would be nice to
fix this slowdown so tmux can be speedy again. For now setting
automatic-rename to off

set -g automatic-rename off

helps somewhat.

Regards,
ismail

* Re: More details about the tmux 2.0 regression
@ 2015-06-06 10:02 ` İsmail Dönmez
From: İsmail Dönmez @ 2015-06-06 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Michael Wild

> set -g automatic-rename off

Should be setw -g ...

Also if there is an api to detect if a process is non-cygwin that
would also help on tmux side.

* Re: More details about the tmux 2.0 regression
@ 2015-06-08 12:42 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2015-06-08 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Jun  6 12:58, İsmail Dönmez wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I had a nice discussion with tmux maintainers over at
> https://github.com/tmux/tmux/issues/13 about the tmux 2.0 regression
> on Cygwin.
>
> Long story short, tmux is trying to read /proc/<pid>/cmdline and
> /proc/<pid>/cwd for various reasons and for non-Cygwin programs this
> is quite slow. You can reproduce this easily run cmd.exe inside bash
> and try to
>
> cat /proc/<pid of cmd.exe>/cmdline

Good catch!

The problem here was that this functionality is very Cygwin centric.  It
tries to call into the process itself to fetch the information.

E.g, assuming you have some /proc/1234, it tries to fetch the information
by sending a request to process 1234 and then waits for that process
setting a semaphore.  A non-Cygwin process will obviously fail to do so,
not knowing about the method at all.

I fixed that in the Cygwin git repo and it seems to work much better now
to run native tools inside tmux with this change.

I'll upload a developer snapshot on https://cygwin.com/snapshots/ later
today.

Thanks,
Corinna

Red Hat

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 819 bytes --]

* Re: More details about the tmux 2.0 regression
@ 2015-06-08 13:21   ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2015-06-08 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Jun  8 14:41, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Jun  6 12:58, İsmail Dönmez wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I had a nice discussion with tmux maintainers over at
> > https://github.com/tmux/tmux/issues/13 about the tmux 2.0 regression
> > on Cygwin.
> >
> > Long story short, tmux is trying to read /proc/<pid>/cmdline and
> > /proc/<pid>/cwd for various reasons and for non-Cygwin programs this
> > is quite slow. You can reproduce this easily run cmd.exe inside bash
> > and try to
> >
> > cat /proc/<pid of cmd.exe>/cmdline
>
> Good catch!
>
> The problem here was that this functionality is very Cygwin centric.  It
> tries to call into the process itself to fetch the information.
>
> E.g, assuming you have some /proc/1234, it tries to fetch the information
> by sending a request to process 1234 and then waits for that process
> setting a semaphore.  A non-Cygwin process will obviously fail to do so,
> not knowing about the method at all.
>
> I fixed that in the Cygwin git repo and it seems to work much better now
> to run native tools inside tmux with this change.
>
> I'll upload a developer snapshot on https://cygwin.com/snapshots/ later
> today.

Snapshot is up.

@ 2015-06-08 15:13     ` İsmail Dönmez
From: İsmail Dönmez @ 2015-06-08 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 4:21 PM, Corinna Vinschen
<corinna-cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote:
> On Jun  8 14:41, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>> On Jun  6 12:58, İsmail Dönmez wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I had a nice discussion with tmux maintainers over at
>> > https://github.com/tmux/tmux/issues/13 about the tmux 2.0 regression
>> > on Cygwin.
>> >
>> > Long story short, tmux is trying to read /proc/<pid>/cmdline and
>> > /proc/<pid>/cwd for various reasons and for non-Cygwin programs this
>> > is quite slow. You can reproduce this easily run cmd.exe inside bash
>> > and try to
>> >
>> > cat /proc/<pid of cmd.exe>/cmdline
>>
>> Good catch!
>>
>> The problem here was that this functionality is very Cygwin centric.  It
>> tries to call into the process itself to fetch the information.
>>
>> E.g, assuming you have some /proc/1234, it tries to fetch the information
>> by sending a request to process 1234 and then waits for that process
>> setting a semaphore.  A non-Cygwin process will obviously fail to do so,
>> not knowing about the method at all.
>>
>> I fixed that in the Cygwin git repo and it seems to work much better now
>> to run native tools inside tmux with this change.
>>
>> I'll upload a developer snapshot on https://cygwin.com/snapshots/ later
>> today.
>
> Snapshot is up.

That resolves the problem for me, cheers!

* Re: More details about the tmux 2.0 regression
@ 2015-06-08 15:26       ` İsmail Dönmez
From: İsmail Dönmez @ 2015-06-08 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 6:12 PM, İsmail Dönmez <ismail@donmez.ws> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 4:21 PM, Corinna Vinschen
> <corinna-cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote:

>>> Good catch!
>>>
>>> The problem here was that this functionality is very Cygwin centric.  It
>>> tries to call into the process itself to fetch the information.
>>>
>>> E.g, assuming you have some /proc/1234, it tries to fetch the information
>>> by sending a request to process 1234 and then waits for that process
>>> setting a semaphore.  A non-Cygwin process will obviously fail to do so,
>>> not knowing about the method at all.
>>>
>>> I fixed that in the Cygwin git repo and it seems to work much better now
>>> to run native tools inside tmux with this change.
>>>
>>> I'll upload a developer snapshot on https://cygwin.com/snapshots/ later
>>> today.
>>
>> Snapshot is up.
>
> That resolves the problem for me, cheers!

One question though, would it be possible to return executable name
instead of <defunct> for non-Cygwin processes?

* Re: More details about the tmux 2.0 regression
@ 2015-06-08 15:43         ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2015-06-08 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Jun  8 18:25, İsmail Dönmez wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 6:12 PM, İsmail Dönmez <ismail@donmez.ws> wrote:
> > On Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 4:21 PM, Corinna Vinschen
> > <corinna-cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote:

> >> Snapshot is up.
> >
> > That resolves the problem for me, cheers!

Thanks for testing.

> One question though, would it be possible to return executable name
> instead of <defunct> for non-Cygwin processes?

That should work, it just needs implementing.

However, I'm just mulling over another idea.  It's probably even
possible to return the comand line and cwd, as long as the calling
process (cat) has permission to open a handle to the requested process.
I'll toy around with this a bit...

@ 2015-06-08 16:10           ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2015-06-08 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin <at> cygwin.com> writes:
> > One question though, would it be possible to return executable name
> > instead of <defunct> for non-Cygwin processes?
>
> That should work, it just needs implementing.
>
> However, I'm just mulling over another idea.  It's probably even
> possible to return the comand line and cwd, as long as the calling
> process (cat) has permission to open a handle to the requested process.
> I'll toy around with this a bit...

Does that mean that top would finally be able to show Windows processes as well?

On another front, I've recently uüstreamed a patch for a Perl distribution
to use /proc/pid/statm because ps from Cygwin doesn't implement a switch to
show the vmsize information.  The maintainer of said distribution said he
was expecting a BSD ps before anything else and didn't like the Linux /proc
interface a lot, but it seems we might want to move to a more modern ps
implementation (Linux ps uses /proc under the hood, AFAIK) when the
underlying functionality in Cygwin has that covered.

Regards,
Achim

* Re: More details about the tmux 2.0 regression
@ 2015-06-08 17:18             ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2015-06-08 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Jun  8 16:10, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin <at> cygwin.com> writes:
> > > One question though, would it be possible to return executable name
> > > instead of <defunct> for non-Cygwin processes?
> >
> > That should work, it just needs implementing.
> >
> > However, I'm just mulling over another idea.  It's probably even
> > possible to return the comand line and cwd, as long as the calling
> > process (cat) has permission to open a handle to the requested process.
> > I'll toy around with this a bit...
>
> Does that mean that top would finally be able to show Windows
> processes as well?

Looks like it.  My patch seems to work nicely, it just needs some polish.

> On another front, I've recently uüstreamed a patch for a Perl distribution
> to use /proc/pid/statm because ps from Cygwin doesn't implement a switch to
> show the vmsize information.  The maintainer of said distribution said he
> was expecting a BSD ps before anything else and didn't like the Linux /proc
> interface a lot, but it seems we might want to move to a more modern ps
> implementation (Linux ps uses /proc under the hood, AFAIK) when the
> underlying functionality in Cygwin has that covered.

Use procps?

@ 2015-06-08 20:07               ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2015-06-08 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Jun  8 19:18, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> > > That should work, it just needs implementing.
> > >
> > > However, I'm just mulling over another idea.  It's probably even
> > > possible to return the comand line and cwd, as long as the calling
> > > process (cat) has permission to open a handle to the requested process.
> > > I'll toy around with this a bit...
> >
> > Does that mean that top would finally be able to show Windows
> > processes as well?
>
> Looks like it.  My patch seems to work nicely, it just needs some polish.

I uploaded a new developer snapshot which implements this.
Please give it a try: https://cygwin.com/snapshots/

@ 2015-06-09  5:05                 ` İsmail Dönmez
From: İsmail Dönmez @ 2015-06-09  5:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 11:07 PM, Corinna Vinschen
<corinna-cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote:
> On Jun  8 19:18, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

>> > Does that mean that top would finally be able to show Windows
>> > processes as well?
>>
>> Looks like it.  My patch seems to work nicely, it just needs some polish.
>
> I uploaded a new developer snapshot which implements this.
> Please give it a try: https://cygwin.com/snapshots/

Seems to work here, cheers!

* Re: More details about the tmux 2.0 regression
@ 2015-06-09  6:58               ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2015-06-09  6:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin <at> cygwin.com> writes:

> > On another front, I've recently uüstreamed a patch for a Perl distribution
> > to use /proc/pid/statm because ps from Cygwin doesn't implement a switch to
> > show the vmsize information.  The maintainer of said distribution said he
> > was expecting a BSD ps before anything else and didn't like the Linux /proc
> > interface a lot, but it seems we might want to move to a more modern ps
> > implementation (Linux ps uses /proc under the hood, AFAIK) when the
> > underlying functionality in Cygwin has that covered.
>
> Use procps?

Jettison ps and move procps into Base?  It looks like it wouldn't pull in
any new dependencies beyond libncursesw.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: More details about the tmux 2.0 regression
@ 2015-06-09  9:57                   ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2015-06-09  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Jun  9 08:02, İsmail Dönmez wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 11:07 PM, Corinna Vinschen
> <corinna-cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote:

> >> Looks like it.  My patch seems to work nicely, it just needs some polish.
> >
> > I uploaded a new developer snapshot which implements this.
> > Please give it a try: https://cygwin.com/snapshots/
>
> Seems to work here, cheers!

Thanks for testing!

@ 2015-06-09  9:58                 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2015-06-09  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Jun  9 06:58, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin <at> cygwin.com> writes:
>
> > > On another front, I've recently uüstreamed a patch for a Perl distribution
> > > to use /proc/pid/statm because ps from Cygwin doesn't implement a switch to
> > > show the vmsize information.  The maintainer of said distribution said he
> > > was expecting a BSD ps before anything else and didn't like the Linux /proc
> > > interface a lot, but it seems we might want to move to a more modern ps
> > > implementation (Linux ps uses /proc under the hood, AFAIK) when the
> > > underlying functionality in Cygwin has that covered.
> >
> > Use procps?
>
> Jettison ps and move procps into Base?  It looks like it wouldn't pull in
> any new dependencies beyond libncursesw.

That requires to update procps and cygwin packages at the same time.
It also replaces a ps using internal functionality with a ps which
uses the /proc emulation layer, which *is* slower.

What about patching Cygwin's ps to add the required functionality?
SHTDI, of course...

@ 2015-06-09 11:18                   ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2015-06-09 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin <at> cygwin.com> writes:
> That requires to update procps and cygwin packages at the same time.

I thought the raison d'être was that procps, by using the /proc interface,
would not be intertwined with the kernel anymore... I didn't suggest to move
it into another package, btw: the procps package should just be in the Base
group to ensure it is in all installs.

> It also replaces a ps using internal functionality with a ps which
> uses the /proc emulation layer, which *is* slower.

I can't think of a problem created by that fact (which doesn't mean that
none exist).

> What about patching Cygwin's ps to add the required functionality?
> SHTDI, of course...

Again, I just think procps is good enough for us as is, it is good enough
for Linux anyway.
:-)

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: More details about the tmux 2.0 regression
@ 2015-06-09 12:24                     ` Helmut Karlowski
From: Helmut Karlowski @ 2015-06-09 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Achim Gratz
Tue, 9 Jun 2015 11:18:40 +0000 (UTC)

> Again, I just think procps is good enough for us as is, it is good enough
> for Linux anyway.
> :-)

Would be great if the ps from procps would work as the current ps,
e.g. ps -W (with and without windows-processes - is this possible
now?), and no slowdown.

-Helmut

* Re: More details about the tmux 2.0 regression
@ 2015-06-10  8:27                       ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2015-06-10  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin