On Jun 16 09:23, Brian Buchanan wrote: > On Thu, 30 Apr 2015 at 10:24:50, Corinna Vinschen cygwin dot com> wrote: > >[...] > > Hmm, the permission test in the csih helper script is apparently not up > > to the task in your situation. As a workaround, you may want to change > > the group ownership of /var/empty to "Users" and chmod it to 755, then > > run the ssh-host-config script again. > > > > (I'm now on a fresh install of Build 10130) > > I had to do that to /var (not just /var/empty) to get past that > message, but I've run into another snag with ssh-host-config > > I'm getting an errors saying unknown user win-g71n7drq4r6+cyg_server > at the point of setting the password, the password expiry and > assigning permissions. This is a domain member machine, yes? > *** Info: This script plans to use 'cyg_server'. > *** Info: 'cyg_server' will only be used by registered services. > *** Query: Create new privileged user account > 'WIN-G71N7DRQ4R6\cyg_server' (Cygwin name: > 'win-g71n7drq4r6+cyg_server')? (yes/no) yes > *** Info: Please enter a password for new user > win-g71n7drq4r6+cyg_server. Please be sure > *** Info: that this password matches the password rules given on your system. > *** Info: Entering no password will exit the configuration. > *** Query: Please enter the password: > *** Query: Reenter: > > *** Info: User 'win-g71n7drq4r6+cyg_server' has been created with > password 'Su3per$ecr3t'. > *** Info: If you change the password, please remember also to change the > *** Info: password for the installed services which use (or will soon use) > *** Info: the 'win-g71n7drq4r6+cyg_server' account. > > passwd: unknown user win-g71n7drq4r6+cyg_server > *** Warning: Setting password expiry for user > 'win-g71n7drq4r6+cyg_server' failed! This is weird. The same works for me: *** Query: Do you want to use a different name? (yes/no) yes *** Query: Enter the new user name: blubber *** Query: Reenter: blubber *** Query: Create new privileged user account 'my_machine\blubber' (Cygwin name: 'my_machine+blubber')? (yes/no) yes *** Info: Please enter a password for new user my_machine+blubber. Please be sure *** Info: that this password matches the password rules given on your system. *** Info: Entering no password will exit the configuration. *** Query: Please enter the password: *** Query: Reenter: *** Info: User 'my_machine+blubber' has been created with password 'blubber'. *** Info: If you change the password, please remember also to change the *** Info: password for the installed services which use (or will soon use) *** Info: the 'my_machine+blubber' account. *** Info: The sshd service has been installed under the 'my_machine+blubber' *** Info: account. To start the service now, call `net start sshd' or *** Info: `cygrunsrv -S sshd'. Otherwise, it will start automatically *** Info: after the next reboot. *** Info: Host configuration finished. Have fun! Is there a chance you have a non-Cygwin passwd tool in $PATH? > [...] > At this point sshd and a cyg_server accounts exist and the service got > created, however it's using the Local System account. You can change that in the Services GUI to the local cyg_server user. > I'm guessing this is just because the Local System account doesn't > have the required privileges. Yes. > What do those processes (passwd, set password expiry and assigning > appropriate privileges) need to succeed? I don't know why this occurs. As you can see above, it works for me. This is a completely new setup with the Cygwin distro updated to the latest? csih 0.9.8-6? cygwin-2.0.4-1? Corinna -- Corinna Vinschen Please, send mails regarding Cygwin to Cygwin Maintainer cygwin AT cygwin DOT com Red Hat