* Minor issues with Cygwin/X FAQ webpage
@ 2015-07-20 19:14 Mouse
From: Mouse @ 2015-07-20 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I happened to be looking at
http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html and I noticed some
oddities which might call for fixing.  This is the only place I could
find for reporting such issues, though of course it's entirely possible
I missed something; FAQ item 1.9 makes me think there should be
somewhere better, but on reading http://cygwin.com/lists.html (as
linked to by the FAQ), it's not clear what it would be.

In FAQ item 1.9, I find

     Tip: Post your X-related inquires to cygwin@cygwin.com only; do
     not post nor cross post your inquires to the cygwin@cygwin.com
     mailing list.  [...]

Surely those list addresses shouldn't _all_ be the same...?

While less important, I also find

   12.8. Isn't "XWin" trademarked by StarNet Communications?

   No. A quick search at the United States Patent and Trademark Office
   for "XWin" [...]

The question does not specify a jurisdiction; that XWin is not a
relevant trademark in the USA does not mean it's not elsewhere.  (While
I'm not aware of any where it is, I haven't gone looking.  I'm mostly
just trying to counter the "the USA is the whole world" tendency I see
creeping in here as it already has far too many other places.)

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML		mouse@rodents-montreal.org

* Re: Minor issues with Cygwin/X FAQ webpage
@ 2015-07-21 14:15 ` Jon TURNEY
From: Jon TURNEY @ 2015-07-21 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mouse, cygwin

On 20/07/2015 20:14, Mouse wrote:
> I happened to be looking at
> http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html and I noticed some
> oddities which might call for fixing.  This is the only place I could
> find for reporting such issues, though of course it's entirely possible

This is the correct place to report such issues.

> I missed something; FAQ item 1.9 makes me think there should be
> somewhere better, but on reading http://cygwin.com/lists.html (as
> linked to by the FAQ), it's not clear what it would be.
>
> In FAQ item 1.9, I find

>       Tip: Post your X-related inquires to cygwin@cygwin.com only; do
>       not post nor cross post your inquires to the cygwin@cygwin.com
>       mailing list.  [...]
>
> Surely those list addresses shouldn't _all_ be the same...?

This piece of text obviously doesn't make much sense after the
search-and-replace which happened when the cygwin-xfree list was deprecated.

I've removed the self-contradictory sentence.

> While less important, I also find
>
>     12.8. Isn't "XWin" trademarked by StarNet Communications?
>
>     No. A quick search at the United States Patent and Trademark Office
>     for "XWin" [...]
>
> The question does not specify a jurisdiction; that XWin is not a
> relevant trademark in the USA does not mean it's not elsewhere.  (While
> I'm not aware of any where it is, I haven't gone looking.  I'm mostly
> just trying to counter the "the USA is the whole world" tendency I see
> creeping in here as it already has far too many other places.)

I don't know why this is in the FAQ. It seems to record the discussion
at [1].

How would you suggest rewriting this?

[1] https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2001-q2/msg01052.html

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer

* Re: Minor issues with Cygwin/X FAQ webpage
@ 2015-07-21 14:37   ` Mouse
From: Mouse @ 2015-07-21 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jon TURNEY; +Cc: cygwin

> This is the correct place to report such issues.

Good; always nice to get confirmation I guessed right. :-)

>> In FAQ item 1.9, [...]
>> Surely those list addresses shouldn't _all_ be the same...?
> This piece of text obviously doesn't make much sense after the
> search-and-replace which happened when the cygwin-xfree list was
> deprecated.

Ah!  I wondered how that had happened.  Makes perfect sense now.
Though, I do note, the new wording makes it sound as though cygwin@ is
specifically for Cygwin/X, rather than all of Cygwin.  As a strawman
for a fix, how about

	Not for Cygwin/X specifically, but Cygwin/X traffic is
	appropriate for the main Cygwin list at cygwin@....

>>     12.8. Isn't "XWin" trademarked by StarNet Communications?

>>     No.  A quick search at the United States Patent and Trademark
>>     Office for "XWin" [...]
>> The question does not specify a jurisdiction; [...]
> I don't know why this is in the FAQ.  It seems to record the
> discussion at [1].

It does, it does indeed.  I did a few searches against the archives,
but must have missed the search terms which would have turned up that
one.  (Not surprising; my search-fu is quite weak.)

> How would you suggest rewriting this?

It could be as simple as changing the answer to something like

	Not in the USA, at least; a quick search at...

@ 2015-07-21 16:17 ` David Stacey
From: David Stacey @ 2015-07-21 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 20/07/15 20:14, Mouse wrote:
> The question does not specify a jurisdiction; that XWin is not a
> relevant trademark in the USA does not mean it's not elsewhere.  (While
> I'm not aware of any where it is, I haven't gone looking.

I did a quick search, and turned up one trademark of Xwin [1] (note
lowercase 'w'). It's in quite a different sphere of business, so there
shouldn't be a clash.

Dave.

[1] - http://romarin.es/marca/xwin/

* Re: Minor issues with Cygwin/X FAQ webpage
@ 2015-07-24 12:43     ` Jon TURNEY
From: Jon TURNEY @ 2015-07-24 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Mouse

On 21/07/2015 15:36, Mouse wrote:
>>> In FAQ item 1.9, [...]
>>> Surely those list addresses shouldn't _all_ be the same...?
>> This piece of text obviously doesn't make much sense after the
>> search-and-replace which happened when the cygwin-xfree list was
>> deprecated.
>
> Ah!  I wondered how that had happened.  Makes perfect sense now.
> Though, I do note, the new wording makes it sound as though cygwin@ is
> specifically for Cygwin/X, rather than all of Cygwin.  As a strawman
> for a fix, how about
>
> 	Not for Cygwin/X specifically, but Cygwin/X traffic is
> 	appropriate for the main Cygwin list at cygwin@....
>
>>>      12.8. Isn't "XWin" trademarked by StarNet Communications?
>
>>>      No.  A quick search at the United States Patent and Trademark
>>>      Office for "XWin" [...]
>>> The question does not specify a jurisdiction; [...]
>> I don't know why this is in the FAQ.  It seems to record the
>> discussion at [1].
>
> It does, it does indeed.  I did a few searches against the archives,
> but must have missed the search terms which would have turned up that
> one.  (Not surprising; my search-fu is quite weak.)
>
>> How would you suggest rewriting this?
>
> It could be as simple as changing the answer to something like
>
> 	Not in the USA, at least; a quick search at...

I've adjusted the FAQ text in those areas.

Thanks for your comments.