On Aug 7 01:48, mku wrote: > In order to find the reason for the delay in processing the ls command, I did > some investigations with the following results: > > As I wished to use cygwin in a local environment that is not permanently > connected to AD (mobile device), I modified the file /etc/nsswitch.conf > after having the long lasting ls command to the following contents: > passwd: files > group: files > After rebooting the effect remains (ls commands took about 5 sec to complete > for a local directory with 10 files). > > After that I enabled the VPN tunnel to the AD domain and tried the ls > command again. To list the 10 files it now took only 0.9 sec. Sounds like you forgot to create correct /etc/passwd and /etc/group files. Switch on your VPN and call $ mkpasswd -l -d > /etc/passwd $ mkgroup -l -d > /etc/group Corinna -- Corinna Vinschen Please, send mails regarding Cygwin to Cygwin Maintainer cygwin AT cygwin DOT com Red Hat