On Oct 27 16:10, Dr Rainer Woitok wrote: > Eric, > > On Monday, 2015-10-26 10:14:06 -0600, you wrote: > > > ... > > So once > > you start a dash shell, that dash shell can start any number of other > > dash shells with no command line length limit other than the memory > > available to your machine. > > Assume I terminate Cygserver and any other Cygwin services running, I > then start "ash.exe" by double clicking it in a Windows Explorer window, > from the command line in the "ash.exe" window I start my Ash Shell > script which in turn starts "setup-x86*.exe" with a very long command > line. > > Am I interpreting you correctly in assuming that under these circumstan- > ces the maximum length of this command line is 2 * 10**9 ASCII charact- > ers on my box? That won't work. setup.exe is a non-Cygwin application so it's restricted to the maximum line length of the CreateProcess call, which, per https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms682425%28v=vs.85%29.aspx is 32768 characters. Corinna -- Corinna Vinschen Please, send mails regarding Cygwin to Cygwin Maintainer cygwin AT cygwin DOT com Red Hat