On Oct 28 21:58, Eric Blake wrote: > On 10/28/2015 04:14 PM, Ken Brown wrote: > > It's my understanding that collation is supposed to take whitespace and > > punctuation into account in the POSIX locale but not in other locales. > > Not quite right. It is up to the locale definition whether whitespace > affects collation. But you are correct that in the POSIX locale, > whitespace must not be ignored in collation. > > > This doesn't seem to be the case on Cygwin. Here's a test case using > > wcscoll, but the same problem occurs with strcoll. > > That's because the locale definitions are different in cygwin than they > are in glibc. But it is not a bug in Cygwin; POSIX allows for different > systems to have different locale definitions while still using the same > locale name like en_US.UTF-8. Btw, strcoll and wcscoll in Cygwin are implemented using the Windows function CompareStringW with the LCID set to the locale matching the POSIX locale setting. I'm rather glad I didn't have to implement this by myself... :} Corinna -- Corinna Vinschen Please, send mails regarding Cygwin to Cygwin Maintainer cygwin AT cygwin DOT com Red Hat