On Nov 17 23:28, David Macek wrote: > Hi. > > I went through the UG looking for differences between regular Cygwin > symlinks and NTFS symlinks, but couldn't find this documented. It > seems that when using winsymlinks:native, the target path is first > dereferenced before storing it in the link. It's a result of the native symlink being a Windows path. The ultimate conversion from POSIX to Windows path dereferences all symlinks. > That doesn't happed when > using regular symlink files. Is this behaviour intentional / known? > > If it matters, the use case is `ln -sf /proc/self/fd /dev/fd`. It matters. This is a bug in Cygwin, a missing test in fact. It should never allow to create native symlinks to targets which only exist inside of Cygwin. Consider that /proc/self/fd has no meaning to non-Cygwin processes at all. Creating this symlink as native symlink doesn't make any sense, they should always be generated as Cygwin-only symlinks. Thanks for the report, I'll apply a matching patch. Corinna -- Corinna Vinschen Please, send mails regarding Cygwin to Cygwin Maintainer cygwin AT cygwin DOT com Red Hat