On Nov 29 18:10, Corinna Vinschen wrote: > On Nov 29 15:10, Kacper Michajlow wrote: > > 2015-11-29 13:59 GMT+01:00 Corinna Vinschen : > > > Status 0xC0000078 aka Win32 error 1337 means "invalid SID". And the > > > SID 1-5-32-1001 is in fact invalid. The S-1-5-32 prefix denotes a builtin > > > account, but the RID 1001 is invalid for a builtin group. 1001 is the > > > RID of your user account, though, but that would be prefixed by the SID > > > of your machine, which looks like S-1-5-21-XXXXXXXX-YYYYYYYY-ZZZZZZZZ. > > > I don't see how this broken SID came into life, unless your /etc/passwd > > > and/or /etc/group files are broken (hand edited perhaps?). > > > > I guess I only changed shell to zsh in /etc/passwd, but no other > > changes were made. So I have no idea how they could get corrupted > > either. > > They aren't. There is no 1-5-32-1001 SID in those files and both files > look entirely insuspicious. Given that Cygwin doesn't create any such > SID from scratch, I'm totally puzzled where this SID is coming from. > Your mkdir trace output doesn't show this SID anywhere else either. > This definitely requires more debugging... I think I found it. The problem was the handling of Microsoft Accounts on machines still using passwd and group files. And the additional group entry for the user with a gid different from the user's uid was required to uncover this problem. This is fortunately a border case, but the fix seemed to be simple so I applied it and added a comment so as not to forget why we have to do that. > > Works. > > Ok, that's good to know. Now I just have to find out where this > weird SID was created :-P That fall into place after I realized what was happening. The gid 1001 didn't exist in /etc/group so Cygwin calls the function to evaluate a SID from a computed UID/GID, and this in turn generated the invalid 1-5-32-1001 SID. WHile writing this I realized that I should harden this part of the code to accept only RIDs < 1000... > > I personally am fine with abandoning /etc/passwd and /etc/group. This > > is good enough solution for me. Though there might be other people > > with the same issue. > > This seems to be a bug in Cygwin, and with the content of your files I > finally managed to reproduce the issue. I'm planning to debug this next > week and, hopefully, come up with a patch. It would be nice if you > could do another test then in your environment :} I just uploaded new developer snapshots to https://cygwin.com/snapshots/ and a new test release 2.4.0-0.6 with the aforementioned patch. Please give any of them a try. Thanks, Corinna -- Corinna Vinschen Please, send mails regarding Cygwin to Cygwin Maintainer cygwin AT cygwin DOT com Red Hat