Rainer, please make sure your mailer doesn't break threading. I tweaked the "In-Reply-To" now to return to the original thread on the mailing list. Thank you. On Jan 28 14:44, Rainer Blome wrote: > Christopher Cobb wrote on Thu, 28 Jan 2016 01:27:16 +0100: > > Or maybe chmod is broken, like it is on my machine > [...] > $ git init > error: chmod on /cygdrive/c/base/bar/.git/config.lock failed: Invalid argument > error: chmod on /cygdrive/c/base/bar/.git/config.lock failed: Invalid argument > error: chmod on /cygdrive/c/base/bar/.git/config.lock failed: Invalid argument > error: chmod on /cygdrive/c/base/bar/.git/config.lock failed: Invalid argument > Initialized empty Git repository in /cygdrive/c/base/bar/.git/ > ---- > The problem appears when Git tries to `chmod config.lock`. Sounds > like a mechanism to protect `.git/config`, so let's see what > happens if I try to use `git config` to modify that file: > > ---- > git config user.email myusername@xyz.org > error: chmod on /cygdrive/c/base/bar/.git/config.lock failed: Invalid argument > ---- > Can you please run the same again under strace, e.g., $ strace -o git.trace git config user.email myusername@xyz.org and send the git.trace file? Also, please send the icacls output for the directory "bar" and the directory ".git". What's weird here is the EINVAL error. I can't reproduce this on my machine yet, but if I get more info I might be able to do so. > $ icacls . > . myhostname\myusername:(F) > myhostname\None:(RX) > Everyone:(RX) > myhostname\myusername:(I)(OI)(CI)(F) It's not a permission problem per se. There's no "Permission denied" message, just an "Invalid argument". I just fail to see why this happens... Thanks, Corinna -- Corinna Vinschen Please, send mails regarding Cygwin to Cygwin Maintainer cygwin AT cygwin DOT com Red Hat